Wages

tikidave54

Seasoned Expediter
What is a good average wage for Class B expediting? I've been told by a couple owners $400-$800 per week on a 60/40 split. I was told yesterday by a Class B driver that a good week was $450, that's driving Northeast US & into Canada...Seems kinda low to me, Thoughts from you guys out there appreciated....need to make that decision in a day or 2.....+:rolleyes:

tikidave54

Seasoned Expediter
52 views and NO One can talk about what a decent wage should be in expediting? I thought this thread was to help newbies:confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well it all depends on a number of things; the owner, the company, the driver and all their expenses. I know some who make $400 to $600 a week gross while a couple others make three times as much.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There are probably a lot of views like mine wondering about wages. As a D truck I cannot reply to this post. Have you talked to recruiters to find out what they are saying a B unit can gross in a year?

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Tiki,

The question you should ask yourself is, would you stay out for a week in a cramped Cargo Van to gross $450 or so per week...and that is before health insurance, Life Ins? As for me, that would be a NO.
I had thought it would be great to travel around in a CV after years of pulling trailers, tarping, roadside checks, logging, chaining, etc....BUT, the $400-$700 Gross ( as a fleet driver ) killed that for me. So going the "B" route wasn't going to work either.
( to get $700, your B unit has to turn approx $1800 gross )

If I can't make what I am making now as a company T/T driver with Bennies, than it really makes no sense to move. I can go with my own company on a $0 down lease and give myself a raise and be an owner....though I'd still be dragging that trailer.
So the $$ doesn't equal the con of "trailer freedom"...;-)

To make a GOOD living, you should think a D unit....and I have spoken to solos that are doing $1000 gross/week and up. Approx $2500 - $2800 to the truck. Yes I have seen the statements over a good period of time.....been looking into this for a very long time.
Very difficult to find a good fleet owner from my own experience, hence I pull a Step deck for a very good wage for now, though a company called me Friday that has a top notch fleet owner with a need, so we shall see.

My limited 2 cents.....Hope that helps
A-REX

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
People just get tired of answering the same questions over and over . Doing so also is a waste of space . Check the archives . There are dozens , maybe hundreds of answers to your question .

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
52 views and NO One can talk about what a decent wage should be in expediting? I thought this thread was to help newbies:confused:

Look at any thread there is always way more people viewing than commenting. It is just the nature of forums nothing unique to your question.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My wife and I both get a wage of several thousand dollars a week.
Of course we run at a huge loss.
BUT, I feel good about my "wage".:D
In reality, no wage, just earnings from running.
Need more money, accept more loads, stay out longer.Need more money still, fix your own meals, dont go over 60 mph.
Need more money, learn to do some of your own maintenance.
Your income can be eaten up by the costs of being out on the road if you dont watch them.
Good luck.:)

tikidave54

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks guys & ladies for your input.
I've cleared with Panther & Bolt.
Getting calls, emails from owners & drivers. I clearly think that a "Good week" at $450 isn't worth the effort, especially driving NYC, Long Island, etc. pay should be at least 2X that, ..The rest of the Northeast I can deal with, been there, done that...Used to drive over the road for USXpress...been to NYC, Boston up into Maine...
A Class B Freightliner has been offered.......I've been driving local Class B, Internationals, Kenworth's & Freightliners for a staggering wage of $11.00 an hour, busting my butt, very little dock to dock, mostly hand unloading, example 600 cases of fruit (apples, oranges,etc at a high school) just wearing me out.....would rather drive expedite OTR.......:cool:

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Tiki,

Which are you writing/asking about??

Driving an Expedite "B" unit...a cargo van/Sprinter or a "D" unit...Straight Truck?

I ask because I notice you writing "Class" B truck...so I'm confused is all.

What type of expedite truck are you seeking to drive?

You must have a CDLA if you've driven for USX. You write of having run the east...( no idea where you live ) Yet there are plenty of T/T companies that pay a premium to run those corridors, it's their niche market and you won't be gone for weeks on end. Mostly M-F. Or you could drive expedite in an "E" unit, and you'd do well as a co-driver. Not a M-F thing from what I've heard.
My brother is an "E" unit solo O/O for one of the expediter companies, mostly running Mid-West lanes....gone about 2-3weeks and home for 2 days. But he has no wife or kids, just wants to visit family and friends. He does very well gross to the truck.

A-Rex

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Some say the CDL class B license will allow them to drive a class B truck which is over 26k straight truck.

I didn't assume he was talking about the B unit which is not a designation of class B truck.

It is a term used here and at the carriers who do this work, I don't see OTR carriers referring to E units, do they?

Either way, my posts still is valid.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
NO, OTR carriers do not use the term "E" unit....at least none I am familiar with, ... Never heard the term except from my brother and EO users and expedite companies listed here.
Such as the Expediter my brother hauls for classifies him as an "E" unit ( T/T )....from my understanding.

And I agree with you, I have met and now know "expediters" that do very well....But, they are NOT "just drivers".....and I know alot of drivers......to know the difference.

I figured if TiKi had his CDLA....why work as a contract CV driver if Money is the motivating factor.

tikidave54

Seasoned Expediter
My reference to a Class B is a 20+ ft straight truck where you need at least a CDL B license to drive. I haven't driven OTR in a tractor trailer in 7 years...been driving Straights 20'28 footer's w/ reefers for the past 3 years. Maybe that'll clear up some of the questions you have...
I have been offered the opportunity to drive a Panther straight truck in the North East.....for like I said a "good week's pay of "$450...I think that is too low. I have the truck owners name and am in the process of contacting Panther to see if I can get more info...
Thanks, sorry to cause confusion expeditors:rolleyes:

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, I thought you meant a "B" unit ( Cargo van ).

But seriously....$450 in a ST....I was offered $650 here in Michigan as a solo. (an avg after looking at the books ), and this was a GREAT owner, he had everything covered, right down to Hotel cards and a cell phone......he was going to pay that and smooth it out on his end. And than look over pay at end of each qtr. If truck grossed more,,,I'd get a bonus, if not...he was willing to take the hit, but he knew his numbers!! And I knew his expectations as well.
But that was a big pay cut for me. You can learn the job as a fleet driver, but I don't see the $$ in being a fleet driver.

Maybe you should dust off that CDLA..........unless you plan to learn the biz and go your own way. But a solo with panther isn't going to cut it.
Just met a recruiter in Monroe, MI last Thursday night. He was straight up about it...Unless you want to live on 26-30k and stay out 3 weeks minimum per month..
( and doesn't come with 7 days off either!!! ). What I learned is what I am passing on.
A-Rex

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Tiki,

Which are you writing/asking about??

Driving an Expedite "B" unit...a cargo van/Sprinter or a "D" unit...Straight Truck?

I ask because I notice you writing "Class" B truck...so I'm confused is all.

What type of expedite truck are you seeking to drive?

You must have a CDLA if you've driven for USX. You write of having run the east...( no idea where you live ) Yet there are plenty of T/T companies that pay a premium to run those corridors, it's their niche market and you won't be gone for weeks on end. Mostly M-F. Or you could drive expedite in an "E" unit, and you'd do well as a co-driver. Not a M-F thing from what I've heard.
My brother is an "E" unit solo O/O for one of the expediter companies, mostly running Mid-West lanes....gone about 2-3weeks and home for 2 days. But he has no wife or kids, just wants to visit family and friends. He does very well gross to the truck.

A-Rex

He mentioned a "Class B" Freighliner was offered . Although some Sprinters are Freightliners I'm certain he was referring to straight trucks .
"Used to drive OTR for USX " means little . There are thousands of CDL-A drivers out there that used to drive OTR for USX . Only a small percentage last more than 6 months . Few stay long enough to gain experience decent carriers require . USX was cited for logbook falsification during a 2006 audit . Drivers get pushed until they quit and think all carriers operate that way .

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Assuming one is an O/O, what can one expect a solo to make in a van per year, 30-40k?

Is this about the same as in a straight truck?

I see after two years, one can probably make 50-60k in a tractor trailer. I still wonder if it just wouldn't be better to get Class A training now and go otr that way.

I would like the freedom of a sprinter/van, but wonder if the lower salary is worth it. After two years or even sooner, one can get dedicated/regional tractor jobs, which aren't really available with good pay for straight trucks and vans.

Just wondering others views about the respective salaries, but if you can make nearly double in a tractor than what you can make in a van it seems like a tractor trailer wins.