Virginia to execute Jerry Jackson amid death drug row

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC

The US state of Virginia is set to execute a convicted murderer and rapist with a lethal injection, despite objections from the drug manufacturer.

Jerry Jackson is scheduled to die on Thursday night for the murder of 88-year-old Ruth Phillips.

A shortage of drugs used in past US executions has forced Virginia authorities to rely on an epilepsy drug manufactured by Danish firm Lundbeck.

Lundbeck has said it opposes the "distressing misuse" of its product.

The drugs that are to be used to execute Jackson were obtained before Lundbeck imposed strict controls on the distribution of pentobarbital, a drug used to treat severe epilepsy.

The company has strongly objected to its product's use in capital punishment, and has restricted distribution in an attempt to keep it out of prison death chambers.

"We're in the business to improve people's lives, so the use of pentobarbital to end people's lives contradicts everything that we're in business to do," Matt Flesch, a US spokesman for Lundbeck, told the BBC.

Jackson was convicted and condemned to death in 2002 on two counts of capital murder, rape and other charges relating to the death of Ms Phillips.

Prosecutors said he climbed in her bathroom window during an attempted burglary, then sexually assaulted her and killed her after she awoke and confronted him.

His execution, scheduled for Thursday night, comes amid a global effort by drug manufacturers to prevent their products from being used in US executions - whether for moral, regulatory or public relations concerns.

Amid the difficulty obtaining execution drugs, US states have had to experiment with different ways to kill prisoners without violating the US constitution's bar on "cruel and unusual punishments", analysts say.

Virginia, like many of the 34 out of 50 US states which allows capital punishment, uses a "****tail" of three drugs to execute condemned prisoners.

If all goes according to plan, the first drug renders the prisoner unconscious, a second paralyses the prisoner (thus masking signs the first drug worked or did not work) and third drug stops the heart.

"A lot hinges on the first drug," Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, a research organisation, told the BBC.

"It causes unconsciousness, and if that doesn't work well, the next drugs are very painful."

Epilepsy fight

For years, the states used a drug called sodium thiopental in the first stage, but in 2010 the drug's only US manufacturer, Hospira, announced it was ceasing production.

Some US states turned to Dream Pharma, a British firm operating in Acton, West London, for sodium thiopental, until a ban on exports imposed in December 2010.

Amid trouble obtaining sodium thiopental, the states this year have turned to pentobarbital.

So far in 2011, US states have executed 23 prisoners using that drug, prompting strong condemnation from Lundbeck.

While the drug, sold under the brand name Nembutal, comprises less than 1% of the company's sales, Lundbeck said it declined to cease production because doctors it had surveyed said they would have trouble treating severe epilepsy without it.

But the company last month announced restrictions on the drug's distribution in an effort to keep it from being shipped to prisons in US states that practice capital punishment.

Under that programme, Lundbeck will review orders for pentobarbital and deny them to prisons in capital punishment states.

Purchasers will have to sign a form affirming the drug is for their own use and will not be used for capital punishment and that they will not re-distribute the drug without the company's approval.

"While the company has never sold the product directly to prisons and therefore can't make guarantees, we are confident that our new distribution program will play a substantial role in restricting prisons' access to Nembutal for misuse as part of lethal injection," chief executive Ulf Wiinberg said.

The company has also sent letters to 16 states that have used or have said they would use pentobarbital in lethal injection expressing their opposition and concern, Mr Flesch said.

Unless the US Supreme Court intervenes, Jackson will be executed on Thursday night at the Greensville Correction Center in Jarratt, Virginia, using the three-drug ****tail with pentobarbital

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If the company won't sell us the drug want more, as Chris Rock says, stabbing a guy is free.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I fail to understand why the various States, just don't knock the condemned out. Tell the viewers he\she is dead. Take them to the nearest hospital and harvest their organs.
Let them do something good for a change.:rolleyes:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well I think they need to go back in time and try them, let them appeal and retry within six months, if they loose again take them out and hang them in front of the court house and leave them there for a couple of days. While they hang them take all the prisoners from the local jail out there and make them watch.;)

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Question for you ......

IYO,

In regard to the Ten Commandments, how do States that approve the death penalty justify execution ?

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
The drug was never brought up as an issue in any of hi appeals.Jackson chose to die this way.In virginia they let the guy getting executed decide the needle or the chair.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Question for you ......

IYO,

In regard to the Ten Commandments, how do States that approve the death penalty justify execution ?

the death penalty is not murder!What jackson did was murder

Romans 6:23 for the wages of sin is death.

Murder is the ultimate sin.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Question for you ......

IYO,

Capital punishment is the command of God for several acts, most conspicuously premeditated murder. While there is some argument about many of the crimes/sins for which capital punishment was mandated for Israel (we don't stone people for adultery or blasphemy), what we know for sure is that the death penalty mandate for murder for which there was multiple witnesses has not been abrogated.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Thank you ...

Why I asked was, I caught a little of a program the other day (Discovery I think) caled the Ten Commandments.

The bit I caught was actually on the Commandment "Shall Not Kill" and how "we" interpret the Commandments.

Example:
Shall not kill anything from a mosquito to a human

Interestingly, at least I did not know this lol, there were 613 Commandments.

An example of a "forgotten" Commandment is ....

If you are hungry you can go to a neigbours field and eat your fill - but you cannot carry any food with you when you leave, because that would be stealing.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Sue, here's an opportunity to gain further insight into cultural differences in the United States. Executions are much more common in Southern and certain conservative Western states than in the culturally liberal states of the North and Northeast.

The federal government rarely carries out the death penalty, although Timothy McVeigh met his end at the hands of the federal government. Moreover, females are seldom executed.

Lots of states have the death penalty available but choose not to pursue its application.

Last edited:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Sue, here's an opportunity to gain further insight into cultural differences in the United States. Executions are much more common in Southern and certain conservative Western states than in the culturally liberal states of the North and Northeast.

The federal government rarely carries out the death penalty, although Timothy McVeigh met his end at the hands of the federal government. Moreover, females are seldom executed.

Lots of states have the death penalty available but choose not to pursue its application.

Again my thanks :)

I would be interested to know though, maybe from someone from these States, how the Commandment does not come into play in regards to executions that are carried out.

Also .....

(I know this is a morbid subject ... but I have an inquisitive nature lol)

why a lethal injection or electric chair?

why not .... a firing squad or hanging?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

I would be interested to know though, maybe from someone from these States, how the Commandment does not come into play in regards to executions that are carried out.

Also .....

Hey, we aren't quite the Taliban who orchestrate public executions at soccer games. Hangings and firing squads are too ghastly and might traumatize the executioner. Yes, we must be sensitive to the psychological impact to the executioner. So, we Americans prefer a more sterile method. Treat executions like a medical procedure. The electric chair has really fallen out of vogue. Again, too ghastly.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Also .....

This is from Genesis:
Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Different states use hanging or firing squads, it is just viewed as less humane and more gruesome.
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Hey, we aren't quite the Taliban who orchestrate public executions at soccer games. Hangings and firing squads are too ghastly and might traumatize the executioner. Yes, we must be sensitive to the psychological impact to the executioner. So, we Americans prefer a more sterile method. Treat executions like a medical procedure. The electric chair has really fallen out of vogue. Again, too ghastly.

ROFL ... I like that :D:p

Trust me I never once thought of the Taliban - purely trying to come to terms with another aspect of America :)

But back to serious .........

Isn't killing someone "ghastly"?

The executioner(s), no matter whether its pulling a switch or filling up an injection, is still subject surely to the "trauma" of having killed a person.
Or perhaps they get de-sensitized - now thats a scary thought.

And we have yet to get to the nitty gritty about the Commandment ;)

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
ROFL ... I like that :D:p

Trust me I never once thought of the Taliban - purely trying to come to terms with another aspect of America :)

But back to serious .........

Isn't killing someone "ghastly"?

The executioner(s), no matter whether its pulling a switch or filling up an injection, is still subject surely to the "trauma" of having killed a person.
Or perhaps they get de-sensitized - now thats a scary thought.

And we have yet to get to the nitty gritty about the Commandment ;)
The prevailing sentiment seems to be, "Go ahead and kill 'em. Just don't make a mess."

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so it is more humane to keep someone behind bars for say 40-50 years where they are not even a part of society? to a point they could not function IF even released? I am not my brothers keeper...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Sorry only partially finished the other reply, just left GM and had to drive.

This is from Revelation:
If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword he will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints.

When reading the Bible you can see it doesn't matter if it is the old or new testament, it tells you kill and you will be killed.

These are the way execution methods breakdown:

Other states also allow electricity, firing squads, hanging and lethal gas. From 1976 to August 18, 2011, there were 1,266 executions, of which 1,092 were by lethal injection, 157 by electrocution, 11 by gas chamber, 3 by hanging, and 3 by firing squad.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App