Virgin Mobile - Broadband

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Well - I finally broke down and I got a Virgin Mobile Broadband device and account. What I like about it - is that it doesn't have recurring monthly billing - I only pay for what I use. If I don't use it for a week - I don't pay.

The service area and downloading speeds are impressive.

What card do you use and like?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tether my t-mobile droid. No extra charge over my normal service i was already paying for. You gotta like free!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well - I finally broke down and I got a Virgin Mobile Broadband device and account. What I like about it - is that it doesn't have recurring monthly billing - I only pay for what I use. If I don't use it for a week - I don't pay.

The service area and downloading speeds are impressive.

What card do you use and like?

What about the coverage? I've looked at some of those small companies' coverage maps, like T'mo, Virgin, US Cell, etc, and am appalled. They might be fine for local people, but for professional travelers?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
amonger,

On a recent trip from New York City to Cincinnati - someone in our vehicle was always online. The speed and connectivity was very, very good.

On another trip from Cincinnati to Chattanooga the speed was okay from Lexington to Knoxville. We were bumped offline once.

So in a nutshell I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Tether my iPhone using PDANet .... the iPhone data plan is unlimited .... works good .... and it's nice to be able to surf while talking on the phone ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Datajack has it's share of problems, and they are continuing. The "unlimited usage" that was formerly so loudly and proudly proclaimed on their Web site is now gone, the price has been bumped from $40 to $50 a month, and they have changed providers from T-Mobile to either Sprint or Verizon, which means existing Datajack modems have to be replaced because they won't work on the new network. The drop dead date for replacing the device is today, April 15. Datajack will give you a free replacement, though, but it's a MiFi until, which is OK, but it's not the same.

The Terms of Service has been updated on April 2, 2010 to reflect the bandwidth cap to read:
Service Usage. We reserve the right to safeguard our network from abuse, excessive bandwidth consumption or any activity that compromises the performance of our network. We may limit throughput speeds, control the amount of data transferred, and suspend, modify or terminate service, without notice, if your usage adversely impacts our network or exceeds 5 GB in a given month.
Despite what they say they "may" do if you go over 5gigs, this is what they actually do:
Dear DataJack Customer,

In accordance with our terms and conditions, more specifically the Service Usage and Prohibited Usage clauses, we are unable to renew your service upon expiration.

We regret that we can no longer provide service and wish you the best in finding a new provider for your wireless internet access needs. Our customer service representatives are available 8AM – 5PM Monday through Friday to address any questions you may have.

Best Regards,
DataJack, Inc.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Check into datajack. 100 for device, 40 a month for all you care to use. DataJack - Internet & Mobile Broadband Solutions

Hmmm...this is kind of odd. It says nationwide coverage, but there's no coverage map. Clicking on coverage only allows you to check one zip code at a time. Something's fishy here, like maybe their coverage isn't what they want you to believe, or their definition of nationwide coverage isn't the same as yours or mine.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Despite what they say they "may" do if you go over 5gigs, this is what they actually do:

Cited text doesn't appear here, but actually terming your account for exceeding the limit is a bit ridiculous. It's like the death penalty for jaywalking. Why not just suspend your service or limit your speed after a certain point? They should just make it impossible or very inconvenient to exceed the cap. Crazy. Now you've got a dead modem that you bought...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, kind of odd is right. But, in their defense (and believe me, they need a lot of it), they used to have a coverage map, and it was the same exact image as the coverage map of T-Mobile. Datajack never admitted they used T-Mobile, but when you consider that T-Mobile and Datajack had the same exact coverage map, it's easy enough to point a finger.

Now, they've moved to MiFi and CDMA, which can only mean Sprint or Verizon. Probably Sprint, but until they get an actual coverage map up, there's no way to know for sure.

The reason they just cancel you for going over the 5GB limit is that once you go over, they still have to pay Sprint (or Verizon) the same per-MB charges that a Sprint of Verizon customer would, except that Datajack has no way to force you to pay those charges. And since it's not their network and they have no control over it, despite what they say, they really have no way to "limit throughput speeds, or control the amount of data transferred." Their only option is to "suspend, modify or terminate service, without notice," Even temporarily suspending or modifying the service is something that they would have to keep a watch on and keep track of, having to expend more time and effort than it's worth. So, what they want are people who surf a little, watch a YouTube video now and then, do e-mail, and then shut it down, never coming anywhere near the 5 GB cap. Those who go over are likely to do it again, so they just get rid of them since they're more trouble then they're worth. In reality, it's only about 5% of customers who go over the 5GB cap. It's the same with broadband cable, where about 5% use about 90% of the bandwidth (although with streaming video, especially services like Netflix, that's changing somewhat. However, Comcast managed to recently get a court ruling allowing them to monitor and limit content, such as content like NetFlix and Torrents that could compete with their core cable TV business, rather than abide by "net neutrality"). Those cable providers would just as soon see those customers go elsewhere.

My recommendation is, if you want Internet service, or cell phone service, deal directly who is providing the service, rather than some 3rd party retailer who is piggy backing off the service. A 3rd party service just introduces one more layer of customer service, and at least doubles the number of possibilities that people can pass the buck to for blame.