Vintage EO - November 1999

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Here's a reprint of a 1999 EO article by the EO staff.

On The Road -
How Do You Stay Friends!

With our Laptop in hand we recently visited the Flying J Truck Stop in Walton, KY and the Dayton South Truck Stop, in Franklin, Ohio to ask some expediting teams about their secrets of how they get along on the road and in the cramped quarters of the truck. We focused mainly on male/female couples, but talked to some male co-drivers also about this subject.

Bob and Helen, Straight Truck - D Unit out of Knoxville say, "Just giving the other person some space is important. If they don't feel like talking, just let 'em be. Sometimes one of us will get in a down mood, and it's better to keep quiet until that mood passes. It always does. Sometimes, going our separate ways for a little while helps; Bob will drop me off at a mall for a couple of hours, while he goes shopping on his own, says Helen. That little bit of time to myself does wonders."

Charlie and Joanie, E unit from Detroit tell us, "Our faith helps us through the rough times. When we experience problems on the road, or even just when we get on one another's nerves, we ask the Lord to give us the patience and understanding to get past it, and He's never failed us yet. Also, we're fortunate in that, we have so many common interests; antiquing, flea markets, baseball. We both like to read, so we can fill up those empty hours with some quiet time, too

Ralph and Sharon, B unit from Chicago say that life on the road in a van can strain a relationship if they're not careful. "We used to stay out for a few weeks at a time, and those 2 or 3 days in a slow moving area would have us at each other's throats after awhile! About a year ago, we started going home if the layover wasn't too promising, and we've found we get along better when we keep moving. At least we can get some things done at home, and we don't feel trapped in that little van like we used to. Also, we seem to pick up some long runs from our area, so the revenue hasn't really suffered."

Nadal and Hamad, D unit, New Jersey, tell Expediters Online that "We are brothers-in-law, and we own this truck together. We have to remain friends because of the business and family connection, so when we're out of the truck, we try to get away from each other, not always because we are fighting or something like that, but, just to have some privacy for a little while. We are lucky I guess, because we have always been friends as well as relatives, and we are working for a common goal. But, I (Hamad) have to admit, we don't spend much time together when we are home. And our families don't go on vacation together!" (Laughs)
Jerry and Glenna, D unit from Nashville say, "Showers, without a doubt! (Laughs) Being cooped up with another person in the close confines of the cab or sleeper really makes you appreciate personal hygiene. Glenna is also very meticulous about keeping the living quarters tidy; we've got a Pekinese, Bubba, that travels with us, so that can be a full time job in ways. We do the usual things that teams do on the road, hit the malls, go to parks when we can find a parking place, anything to keep busy. We've been lucky over the last year or so, our company has kept us running, so the waiting time for a load has been kept to a minimum. We've got a large family spread out through the Midwest, so we can visit when we get in their areas."

From our talks with these teams, it seems that all of them have found a system that works for them. Expediters Online would like to hear from other teams out there - How Do You Remain Friends on the road?

The question in 1999 was "How do you remain friends on the road?" The question 8 years later is the same, How do you remain friends on the road?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I've always said that I wouldn't/couldn't consider doing this with anyone BUT Jim. I think the fact that we were best friends before we ever got on the truck is key, just as it's key to our marriage. The man makes me laugh and that's been healthy these past 5+ years on the truck.

Yes, having your own space is important and having what matters to you most along for the ride is good, and of course if you have all the toys you want/need it's always a plus but still........

HUMOR.....DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We've been married for almost 27 years, we've known each other since elementary school and we're buddies. Yes, we have separate interests but those are few in comparison to the things we like to do together. This job has been fantastic for us because we work good together and we enjoy it.
The occasional ruffled feathers that happen don't last long and we've never ever gone to bed mad.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ive been teaming since 1982,1st in the produce business,then in 1987 expediting,as the 1st 3 years i had an invisable co driver at roberts express,in fact when i got cought,i actually was made to produce a live person in dispatch.at the time,solos coud stay solo.or switch to team,but i didnt get that offer,it was team or the highway,guess they just didnt trust me
over the years ive gone thru many co-drivers,for many different reasons,from they dont like to sit,to they want to run solo,even thinking im an s o b and to hard to run with.
in any event,the best way to run team,is to remember,there needs to be space,and everyone needs some.
i have always planned my hometime by when the co needs to be home,and we usually stay home for at least 3 days,but i have staye as long as 2 weeks,just depends on how busy freight is,and how long been gone from home
guy with me now started with me in 1992,has worked both solo and team,and has been with other contractors.funny thing,he always comes back to me,must be the money,of course it helps we are friends,and treat each other with respect.