Very sad a driver found dead

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Drivers need to learn to take better care of their bodies better. Thanks to Linda and Bob Caffee talking about this I'm trying to eat better meals. This is so sad to hear about the lost of a fellow driver.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Lately i have slacked on my diet since it is cold LOL. but when warm weather hits and I can ride my harley I like looking good I work out allot I am a power lifter. And I eat only chicken and beef, spinach, and smoothies I make from fruits and veggies all mixed. I take my whey proteins, vitamins, and lots of fiber always year round to keep my system moving good.

I eat many rotisserie chickens when i am on the road I sit and eat the whole thing alone and spread it out through out the day a chicken a day keeps you healthy and avoid fried foods all together. I have lowered my diabetes from 2 metformins a day to 1 metformin and ended my high cholesterol all together.

What many of you avoid are vitamins and fiber the 2 most important things your body needs and then lots of clean water also about a gallon aday.

you can get great prices on vitamins at puritanspride.com they have like buy 2 get 3 free at the moment and for whey and body building supps i goto bodybuilding.com forget GNC they are super over priced.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wait a minute.

Before we all start with the diet and all of that, read the article and think about the age of the driver - 75.

Yes it is indeed sad but you know there needs to have the age of the driver addressed by maybe limiting the age to say 65.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Problem with age limits is one 65 year old can be as healthy as a horse and another 65 year old is knocking at death's door.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Easy guys,I'm 67 and jst passed this years DOT physical with flying colors.A1A sugar level is a 5,blood pressure is 124 over 74 colesteral levals are good,and I don't have sleep apnea,but I get along fine on 5 hrs sleep a night,I do usually take a 2 hr nap in the afternoon if I feel the need.CAn I keep up with a 50 year old,I don't think so,but then I don't really care to.
Another thing i just thought about.In 1978,while on a load,I had appendicitus.I drove from Columbus OH to Brazil IN,where they found me in a truck stop.I was lucky that I had a cb radio and someone heard me asking for help.I was 35 at the time,so actually,you could die at any age,in fact everyone that is born will die at one time or another.

Last edited:

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I just turned 40 and feel like i am 18 full of energy and life. I started a new vitamin pack call animal rips and wow fills me with energy and burns calories. People with heart problems can't take it is full of caffeine it's like 5 red bulls at once. but as active as I am always it burns off quick in my system.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK so here is another take.

Other industries limit the age of the person working, once that age is reached, then they retire. Commercial Pilots, Cops, Firefighters are among those who are limited by age.

When we look at the trucking industry, we tend to forget that age has a lot of problems associated with it and there is a reason why commercial pilots, cops and firefighters have an age limits. There is a serious assumption that they can not perform the job in many cases safely. Like many other things, it is not about the individual but the group that this is focused on and it is what is considered a uniformed reasoning to ensure that everyone is treated the same - commercial pilots like those Airline Pilots I understand all have an age limit of 65 years.

SO a guy driving a 80,000 lb vehicle down the road at 75 has an "event" and plows into a group of cars or a bus or what ever is not acceptable. AND to many who think that the crap we go through to actually drive a truck (from the cursory DOT physical to sleep studies to diabetics limitations to cardiac restrictions) is enough to keep them safe but they have absolutely no clue that there is no age limit to driving a truck.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Greg,You can have an event at 16 years old,and wreck your car.I take a physical every year,even though 2 years is the standard.If I pass I drive,if not I have to quit,my Grandfather drove a car til he was over 90 years old,but his last few years,I wouldnt drive with him.He didnt believe in stop signs or trafic lights.Why he was permited to drive, I have no Idea.I myself believe after a certain age,you should have to take a drivers test,not just a physical,this for commercial vehicles too.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Steve,
I understand your defense but there seems to be too many fact surrounding age and the ability to drive that surpass other issues we have to deal with.

The DOT physical doesn't measure capabilities or takes in account different conditions that the person sees while driving, BUT overall it measures static condition of the person which really doesn't mean much. The doctor, most of them are clinic doctors see that person once a year if they are lucky while it is most of the time they see them once in a life time. YOU can not judge a person or their capability with a 20 minute physical and 5 minute consult and out the door. The DOT is now registering doctors to perform physicals which to me is the worst thing that can happen, it forces the driver to use a stranger who knows nothing more than what it beyond the first few sections of the DOT long form and may or may not understand the patient or their past to make a proper determination.

You may not have figured out what I am saying because I'm being sarcastic but the FMCSA has taken stupid steps to ensure safety and has refused to address age as a mitigating factor in accidents when it actually is opposed to things like Sleep Apnea where there is no evidence that it causes sleep related disorders while driving and the response to Sleep Apnea has been draconian at best when it needs not to be an issue at all until it is properly studied.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Well........interesting update.

Says the guy had a history of heart problems and high blood pressure. And, autopsy results show that "drowning" was the cause of death, not a heart attack. Story says he drowned while face down in just 8 inches of water.

Trucker who crashed drowned in the ditch - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

So....should this 75 year old with a medical history like this been behind the wheel of an 80K lb 18 wheeler??

My opinion....not only No, but Hell No.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Steve,
I understand your defense but there seems to be too many fact surrounding age and the ability to drive that surpass other issues we have to deal with.

The DOT physical doesn't measure capabilities or takes in account different conditions that the person sees while driving, BUT overall it measures static condition of the person which really doesn't mean much. The doctor, most of them are clinic doctors see that person once a year if they are lucky while it is most of the time they see them once in a life time. YOU can not judge a person or their capability with a 20 minute physical and 5 minute consult and out the door. The DOT is now registering doctors to perform physicals which to me is the worst thing that can happen, it forces the driver to use a stranger who knows nothing more than what it beyond the first few sections of the DOT long form and may or may not understand the patient or their past to make a proper determination.

You may not have figured out what I am saying because I'm being sarcastic but the FMCSA has taken stupid steps to ensure safety and has refused to address age as a mitigating factor in accidents when it actually is opposed to things like Sleep Apnea where there is no evidence that it causes sleep related disorders while driving and the response to Sleep Apnea has been draconian at best when it needs not to be an issue at all until it is properly studied.

I understand what you are saying but I have a question: If they make 65 the cut off age then what's gonna happen when the Feds make it 70 (Like they are talking about) before you can retire? Welfare for 5 years or what?:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand what you are saying but I have a question: If they make 65 the cut off age then what's gonna happen when the Feds make it 70 (Like they are talking about) before you can retire? Welfare for 5 years or what?:D

Well nothing, just like other people who have to deal with it now, there is nothing that makes the exception for them to drive. Beside at 65, or 70 or even 75, I like many others don't expect to get social security at all.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Problem with age limits is one 65 year old can be as healthy as a horse and another 65 year old is knocking at death's door.

There you go. It's all in the gene's. Two friends of mine were found in the back of truck stops dead in their trucks and found several days later. One was 35 the other was about 60, you never know, doesn't matter what you eat or anything else, when it's time you better be paid up and prayed up.:(