Verizon Data Clamp

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well boys and girls the unlimited data use has apparently come to an end. In the past there were rumors that extreme bandwidth hogs were being dealt with, by cancelling their service.

Now it appears they have imposed a 5GB cap before overage charges are imposed. This was all unannounced, as far as I can determine. It is possible they sent something out in statements, but since I elected to go "paperless" I have not received any paper statement.

Be sure to watch your usage very carefully. I got socked with an extra $50.00 last month, but it could have been much worse. One poor bloke got socked $5000. for watching a basketball game. Of course he was in roaming while using Sling box.

I will be of course looking at other providers to see if the have the same caps in place. ATT, my second choice, has the cap. I don`t know about the others. I will be looking at T-Mobile. Especially since they have the Google Android phones.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/wirelesscaps2.jpg

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
AT&T does cap but if you had unlimited its called a "soft" 5 gig which means if you go over there isnt any extra charges. I got them to put that in writing that i can not be charged for going over 5 gig's ever.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We were told that right up front when we got our service. It was in our contract. I have no idea when they started doing it but we had it from day one. We started with the service last summer. We have never gone over that, not even close. Layoutshooter

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Everytime I log into Verizon VZAcess Manager, and activate my service a drop down box opens, tells me how much i have used and that if I exceed 5 GB's I will be billed over and above my plan.... thaty started at Feb 1st... before that while the box told me my usage, it did NOT mention any additional charge for over 5 GB...

My daughter works for verizon, i called her about it when i noticed it and she said it was a new deal that had just started....its no big deal for me, but i am sure it could be for others...i have never gotten paast 4.7 GB for a billibg cycle...

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Sprint has done the same thing. But I haven't seen any extra charges for going over the 5GB limit. Last month I went over 100GB. :eek:

Don't ask me what I'm doing. I could tell ya, but I would have to kill ya, ya hear, kill ya. :D

Any ways, I asked about the limit thing and I was told not to worry about it. So, obviously I haven't. :D

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My daughter works for Verizon, i called her about it when i noticed it and she said it was a new deal that had just started....its no big deal for me, but i am sure it could be for others...i have never gotten past 4.7 GB for a billing cycle...[/QUOTE]

For those of us with the old "Unlimited" contracts, it really PIZZES us off that they would start charging for over 5GB with no warning. I will be visiting my VZ store to see why this happened. Forget calling customer service, they are worthless.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Well, you might grandfather in with the contract. Thats at least until you renew your contract. Not sure how VZ renews their contracts when you have full filled your obligation to stay with them.