Van Tires

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Would you mind posting a ballpark price for those tires. Really nice looking, Hope you keep us posted on their wear and performance.

Thanks
Stay safe
KG

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would you mind posting a ballpark price for those tires. Really nice looking, Hope you keep us posted on their wear and performance.

Thanks
Stay safe
KG

All the new Michelins that come out through Discount Tire are around $200 per tire. Then you add on instillation, blah, blah ... it comes out to like $900-$1,000. I always work those guys over on the price pretty hard. The prices I've paid on my previous tires are still in the system, so I refer back to them like I'm due the same price today. I was able to find a Black Friday sale going on at Costco - $754 for a set of 4 - which they price matched at Discount. After taxes the total was $792. But ..... I'm also getting the mail in rebate, $70, as well. $722 for a new set of CrossClimates was a steal!

I did get 125-130K on the set of Defeders they took off, which still had 4/32 of tread on them.

I'm optimistic. Not sure how much of it is physiological but the new rubber feels incredible. Having new wheels on my old van is great too.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info. I have a set of defenders on now but will need to replace some where down the line. Yeah they look formidable! :sunglasses:
Stay safe
KG

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Both myself and BillG have the new Michelin's. We both like but notice that we feel the bumps a little more on the 235/65R16 as the Michelin has a stiffer sidewall

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: kg

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got my Michelin Crossclimate tires from my Ford dealer. Free mount and balance, price matched Tire Rack prices and free lifetime rotations. Which is nice because I get all my oil changes done at my dealer. Plus using the Ford Service CC I got 12 months free financing. Plus I’m getting a $190 rebate from Ford during their Black Friday sale. So financed this invoice for 12 months free financing, and I’m getting a $190 Visa gift card in the mail. It really pays to shop around.So paid about $550.IMG_1070.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, that is a good deal. Of course the prices will be different for the different sizes and vehicles but anyway you slice it $550 for a new set of Michelin tires is great.

I'm currently on i80 west and I'm driving through some light snow. Not happy with the tires. WOM, Bill, have you guys driven through snow with these tires? I think they might have screwed the pooch on this new formula. Tempted to return them and get the discontinued ltx ms2s. I put almost 500K mi on ms2s ....

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think when we talk about these high top vans, we gotta keep in mind they're not all the same.

I can specifically talk to NCV3 Sprinters ....

Yesterday morning I woke up at the Iowa 80 TA and to my disappointment, it was lightly snowing. About 2-3 inches had fallen. I was heading west and it looked like I'd be through the storm within 50 miles, so headed out slowly. From the start the tires didn't feel like they had enough traction. It wasn't like I was slipping and sliding all over the place but I'm used to having better control of the van. It's a nuance. It just doesn't feel right and I don't wanna ride these tires for over 100K mi. Taking into consideration they're brand spanking new, I started to look for a solution .....

Michelin LTX M/S2 - out of stock, at least I couldn't find any
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - out of stock

I discovered there are currently 2 other Michelin tires available for the Sprinter:

Michelin Agilis CrossClimate
Michelin Agilis LTX

The Agilis LTX is so new, Discount Tire doesn't have it in their system yet .... but Tire Rack does. The Agilis LTX appears to be the closest match to the previous LTX M/S2 and Defender LTX M/S. I think the tread patterns look very similar. Also, upon a closer inspection the description on Tire Rack states "MO-V Mercedes" ...... Mercedes Original ..... the Agilis LTX is designated to be used specifically on Mercedes. I got the wrong friggin' tires.

I told Discount Tire I wasn't satisfied with the performance of the CrossClimates and about the Agilis LTX. They'll swap them out, free of charge. Even though it's currently not on the Discount Tire website yet, they're gonna procure a set directly from Michelin. I believe they're being shipped from CA to SC. I'll have them on by the end of the year.

Info from Tire Rack ....

1576190047902.png

1576190101943.png

Reactions: NorthernBill

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think when we talk about these high top vans, we gotta keep in mind they're not all the same.

Yesterday morning I woke up at the Iowa 80 TA and to my disappointment, it was lightly snowing. About 2-3 inches had fallen. I was heading west and it looked like I'd be through the storm within 50 miles, so headed out slowly. From the start the tires didn't feel like they had enough traction. It wasn't like I was slipping and sliding all over the place but I'm used to having better control of the van. It's a nuance. It just doesn't feel right and I don't wanna ride these tires for over 100K mi. Taking into consideration they're brand spanking new, I started to look for a solution .....

I discovered there are currently 2 other Michelin tires available for the Sprinter:

Michelin Agilis LTX

The Agilis LTX is so new, Discount Tire doesn't have it in their system yet .... but Tire Rack does. The Agilis LTX appears to be the closest match to the previous LTX M/S2 and Defender LTX M/S. I think the tread patterns look very similar. Also, upon a closer inspection the description on Tire Rack states "MO-V Mercedes" ...... Mercedes Original ..... the Agilis LTX is designated to be used specifically on Mercedes. I got the wrong friggin' tires.

I told Discount Tire I wasn't satisfied with the performance of the CrossClimates and about the Agilis LTX. They'll swap them out, free of charge. Even though it's currently not on the Discount Tire website yet, they're gonna procure a set directly from Michelin. I believe they're being shipped from CA to SC. I'll have them on by the end of the year.

Info from Tire Rack ....

View attachment 19622

View attachment 19623
Are they shipping via expediter?
:mask:

Reactions: Grizzly

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Michelin Agilis LTX

Info from Tire Rack ....

View attachment 19622

View attachment 19623
Bought a set of the Michelin Agilis LTX from Belle Tire a week ago. Paid $900 out the door and a $170 mail in rebate and absolutely love them. Feels like I’m riding on air.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've got the new Michelin Tires as Treadmill and I've notice that my GPS speed is 1 more mph than what the cruise is set on. I like tires that are rated E "10 ply" and I wouldn't have anything less.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I finally got my Agilis CrossClimates swapped yesterday for a fresh set of Agilis LTX. I had approx 4K mi on the CrossClimates and Discount Tire swapped them out free of charge; even thought the LTX is slightly more expensive.
:JC_ThankYou:

It took awhile for my local store to get them in stock. Apparently Mercedes is currently using this tire on the assembly line, so not all retailers have them in yet. Even a quick search on Michelin's own website comes up empty.

Here's what I was able to ascertain by physically looking at both tires and chatting with my local Discount Tire manager ...
The new Agilis LTX most resembles the now discontinued LTX M/S2.

Agilis LTX
Appears to be a harder compound with a shallower tread depth, 10.5 on a new set
Each tire is 40 lbs
Narrower tread - 7.2"
Tread pattern is very similar, if not exact, to the LTX M/S2 & Defender LTX M/S

Agilis CrossClimate
Appears to be a softer compound with a deeper tread depth, 12.5 on a new set
Each tire is 45 lbs
Wider tread 7.4"

The CrossClimate definitely has more robust sidewalls that are visible to the naked eye and touch. I'm guessing the extra rubber on the sidewall is for all the ambitious, hardworking men that don't mind lugging around 3 - 4K+ lbs. in their vans. Not really sure what that actually translates into though, since they both have a max load of 3,042 lbs. per tire.

As mentioned previously, I think the Agilis LTX is more Sprinter specific while the Agilis CrossClimate was designed to be used on all hightop vans. The wider tread footprint on the CrossClimate may wear more unevenly, maybe not ... idk. The CrossClimate has all this new tech ..... blah, blah, blah ..... I'm comfortable using what's performed well on my van. Again, these are subtle differences. I think either option is a good choice, after all they're both Michelins :)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I finally got my Agilis CrossClimates swapped yesterday for a fresh set of Agilis LTX. I had approx 4K mi on the CrossClimates and Discount Tire swapped them out free of charge; even thought the LTX is slightly more expensive.
:JC_ThankYou:

It took awhile for my local store to get them in stock. Apparently Mercedes is currently using this tire on the assembly line, so not all retailers have them in yet. Even a quick search on Michelin's own website comes up empty.

Here's what I was able to ascertain by physically looking at both tires and chatting with my local Discount Tire manager ...
The new Agilis LTX most resembles the now discontinued LTX M/S2.

Agilis LTX
Appears to be a harder compound with a shallower tread depth, 10.5 on a new set
Each tire is 40 lbs
Narrower tread - 7.2"
Tread pattern is very similar, if not exact, to the LTX M/S2 & Defender LTX M/S

Agilis CrossClimate
Appears to be a softer compound with a deeper tread depth, 12.5 on a new set
Each tire is 45 lbs
Wider tread 7.4"

The CrossClimate definitely has more robust sidewalls that are visible to the naked eye and touch. I'm guessing the extra rubber on the sidewall is for all the ambitious, hardworking men that don't mind lugging around 3 - 4K+ lbs. in their vans. Not really sure what that actually translates into though, since they both have a max load of 3,042 lbs. per tire.

As mentioned previously, I think the Agilis LTX is more Sprinter specific while the Agilis CrossClimate was designed to be used on all hightop vans. The wider tread footprint on the CrossClimate may wear more unevenly, maybe not ... idk. The CrossClimate has all this new tech ..... blah, blah, blah ..... I'm comfortable using what's performed well on my van. Again, these are subtle differences. I think either option is a good choice, after all they're both Michelins :)
When I bought mine at Belle Tire, they had none in stock at the store location. When they checked the warehouse there were only 4 left in stock. They snatched em up and had them there that afternoon.