Van Tires

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2008 Sprinter 2500 170" 3.0 diesel
Tire size: 245 75 16

My baby needs a new set of shoes soon .. currently at 141,000 mi on this set.

I've been riding on Michelin LTX MS2s since I replaced the first set of Continentals that came on the van. I know it has it's detractors, I'm a fan. I think my last set were some of the few remaining Discount Tire had in circulation. Now what!? The Defender? I'm skeptical. OK .. I'm very skeptical!

Feedback on the Defender?
If not the Defender, what tire do you use? Feedback?
Anyone using the Michelin XPS Rib?

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've been riding on Michelin LTX MS2s since I replaced the first set of Continentals that came on the van. I know it has it's detractors, I'm a fan. I think my last set were some of the few remaining Discount Tire had in circulation. Now what!? The Defender? I'm skeptical. OK .. I'm very skeptical!

I;ve always used the Michelins and very pleased with the mileage and performance....70Fr and 80 rear....23-25 mpg
55-60 psi 21-22 mpg @ 63-65mph..80 PSI on front IMO is just too stiff and harsh...you can do front end wear being too hard....(Ragman?)...all HWY driving averaging over 150K on a set..
..I have the Cooper Defender on my quad cab PU and they seem good too...

Last edited:
Reactions: mccll01 and Grizzly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Defender? I'm skeptical. OK .. I'm very skeptical!
Why would you be very skeptical of Michelin's best selling light truck tire? They upgraded their previously best selling M/S2 tires with the improved Defender "EverTread" rubber compound for better treadwear. The Defender LTX has been out for 2 years now with high rated reviews.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why would you be very skeptical of Michelin's best selling light truck tire? They upgraded their previously best selling M/S2 tires with the improved Defender "EverTread" rubber compound for better treadwear. The Defender LTX has been out for 2 years now with high rated reviews.

It's rated for 50,000 mi. The previous LTX MS2s were rated for 70,000.
I wanted feedback from folks that put expediter type miles on tires.

It's my nature! It's gotten me this far ... :)

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Have the Michelin defenders on my Promaster...after the factory set I went with MS2's and am now about 30k on these Defenders...pretty good so far, no complaints and the wear is even.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Turtle and Grizzly

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I run Michelin MS2 with nitrogen and got 150k on the set. I balance and rotate every 15k. The original Kumo tires went 60 to 80 guessing and then went to the MS2 and got the 150k. On my third set of tires and second set of MS2.

Reactions: Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run Michelin MS2 with nitrogen and got 150k on the set. I balance and rotate every 15k. The original Kumo tires went 60 to 80 guessing and then went to the MS2 and got the 150k. On my third set of tires and second set of MS2.

$ .. what are you gonna purchase next? The MS2s have been replaced with the Defender LTX.

Has anyone put like 100 .. 125 .. 150K mi on the new Defenders?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"My Michelin Defender tires have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty and I've got 85,000 miles on them! They're gggggreeat!", says Tony 'The Touring' Tiger.

Most of Michelin's competitors use the industry standard for light truck tires or 50,000 mile warranty, so Michelin started doing the same thing. And for the very reason illustrated in the "quote" above.

Mileage rating numbers aren't even an indication, much less a promise, of how many miles a tire will or should get. It's all marketing. There is an actual treadwear rating stamped (or molded, I guess it's more accurate) on the side of the tire, but that's just a relative thing. A rating of 300 means the tire will have 3x the treadwear longevity of a tire with a 100 rating. And even those ratings come from the manufacturer and not the government or some independent testing agency.

If the tread wears out prematurely, meaning 2/32 or less, like at 30,000 miles, the best you can hope for is a prorated reimbursement, and even that's iffy. In most cases all 4 tires need to have the same exact treadwear, otherwise you've got something wrong with your vehicle that's causing the odd wear on just one or two tires. In other cases you have to have receipts showing the tires have been rotated according to manufacturer recommendations (like every 5000 miles or something). In all cases, the amount of the prorated amount is against the manufacturer's suggested retail price or a dealer's price, which is usually higher than a retailer's price, meaning it's often cheaper to just buy a new tire discounted from a retailer than it is to warranty replace it. (now, that's just for treadwear, not for some creepy balloon buldge on the sidewall or some other manufacturer defect)

Consumer Reports is constantly testing tires for treadwear, and their reports show that other than one or two tire brands you've probably never heard of, like the Nokian Entire (80,000 mile warranty but wore out at 35,000 miles), most will be within 15,000 miles of the stated warranty mileage.

The Continental TrueContact and PureContact (H, V), Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X (T, H, V), Kumho Solus TA71 and TA11, Firestone Precision Touring, and Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires all fell short of their stated numbers, but were well within that 15,000 miles, so close enough.

The longest lasting was the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus, which lasted 100,000 miles. A close second was the Michelin Defender, and numbers 3 and 4 on that list were also Michelin tires.

My current M/S2 tires have 122,000 miles on them and they have a really long way to go yet. My previous set was so far above 200,000 that I don't even want to post the number. It was ridiculous. Even the guys at Discount Tire were giddy about it, because the numbers were right there in their computer. I attribute the lengthy wear on quick and regular replacement of ball joints and wheel bearings, (rotations were only done every 50,000 miles ballpark) and to nitrogen.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

$ .. what are you gonna purchase next? The MS2s have been replaced with the Defender LTX.

Has anyone put like 100 .. 125 .. 150K mi on the new Defenders?
I guess I'll go with the Defender. Out on the road, I'll always put Michelin tires on the van.

Reactions: Grizzly

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Just recently replaced my LTX M/S2 on my 2012 Sprinter day with the Defender. Since I only replaced them 2500 mi ago, they seem to be no different than the LTX M/S2's that were previously on there. I usually get 150k on a set of these tires. These tired should last me till the end of 2018.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How are you guys getting 150k out of your MS2's I'd imagine they are like racing slicks by then... I have some MS2's right now I think the rears are over 110k and fronts are used tired so no record. Imagine I'll just keep using them till winter roles around. The guys at discount tire always tell you low tread is bad for braking stop times.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I start getting antsy at 6/32, which is the minimum for snow, and that's when I start making plans to replace them.

All other things being equal, the key to treadwear longevity is going to be proper inflation. Nitrogen will certainly help with that. With regular air you'll lose 1-2 psi per week, but with nitrogen you only lose 1-2 psi every 1-2 months. If you don't use nitrogen you just need to check the tire pressure really often.

You can also bump up the pressure a little bit in the tires, too. In my Sprinter the manufacturer says 55 psi front and 80 rear. Whenever I rotate the tires or fill with nitrogen I'll usually go with 60 front and 85 rear. (I tried going 80 all around but the front tires wore funny).

At the first sign of uneven wear, find out why, and then fix it. Rotation alone will even out the wear, but you'll still have premature wear and the tires won't last as long as they could. Wheel bearings, shocks, ball joints, those are the ones to look at in addition to rotating them.

Also, the faster you drive the more wear you'll have. The difference between 60 and 70 MPH could mean 15-20% in wear. Weight also makes a difference

Reactions: Grizzly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just got a new set of tires. My 6th set on this Sprinter. Tread was down to about 5/32 so it was about time.
Michelin Defender M/S

Miles on previous sets
116,622 Michelin A/S (air)
117,391 Michelin M/S (air)
125,901 Michelin A/T2 (air)
236,532 Michelin A/T2 (nitrogen from day one)
163,260 Michelin MS/2 (nitrogen added several months in)

Reactions: muttly and Grizzly

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m a fan of nitrogen.
A neighbor does well with air, checked weekly.
I think the big difference is the lack of change of pressure....hot to cold.....in my pick up low pressure light comes on till they warm up to hwy speed then sometimes goes off...if someone was diligent and watched the air tires closely the air would work even better....its the time invested into the preventive care...

to add: I too was getting some astronomical numbers out of my M/S's over 200,000 consistently, i too dealt with Discount and they were amazed by my record...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

It's rated for 50,000 mi. The previous LTX MS2s were rated for 70,000.
I wanted feedback from folks that put expediter type miles on tires.

It's my nature! It's gotten me this far ... :)
when I got my set of Defenders at Discount I noticed the drop in miles...70,000 down to 50,000 BUT an increase price of about 20 bucks apiece..Hmmm I said....