Van Tires

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is my first set since these changed to Defenders. They are $195.00 each. The total for everything was just $30 more than my previous set of tires.

The mileage rating is just marketing. Unless your tire fails from an obvious, no doubter manufacturer defect, you're probably not going to get any kind of warranty replacement out of Michelin.

That's one reason I always get the replacement certificates at Discount Tire. If it's within 3 years and the tire has at least 2/32 of tread left, If the tire fails for any reason, including road hazards, Discount Tire will refund the entire purchase price of the tire, including sales tax.

I got these in Arden, NC (suburb of Asheville). The breakdown is...

Tire Defender LTX M/S- $195.00
Refund/Replacement - $30.50
Environmental Fee - $3.90
Disposal Fee - $1.75
Installation - $19.00

Sub Totals $1000. 60
Tax - $68.96
Total - $1069.56

There was also a $75.00 prepaid Visa card rebate that I submitted online while they were installing the tires.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is my first set since these changed to Defenders. They are $195.00 each. The total for everything was just $30 more than my previous set of tires.

The mileage rating is just marketing. Unless your tire falls from an obvious, no doubter manufacturer defect, you're probably not going to get any kind of warranty replacement out of Michelin.

That's one reason I always get the replacement certificates at Discount Tire. If it's within 3 years and the tire has at least 2/32 of tread left, If the tire fails for any reason, including road hazards, Discount Tire will refund the entire purchase price of the tire, including sales tax.

I got these in Arden, NC (suburb of Asheville). The breakdown is...

Tire Defender LTX M/S- $195.00
Refund/Replacement - $30.50
Environmental Fee - $3.90
Disposal Fee - $1.75
Installation - $19.00

Sub Totals $1000. 60
Tax - $68.96
Total - $1069.56

There was also a $75.00 prepaid Visa card rebate that I submitted online while they were installing the tires.
The changes were certainly not a deal breaker as we always surpass the performance ratings... unless of course the tire is faulty which luckily never had a bad Michilin

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've now gone through my first set of Defenders. They were comparable to previous LTX MS2s. Durability concern alleviated, I've currently got 126K mi on them and they still have a bit of tread. I'm gonna change them a month or two prematurely due to the weather.

Now my local Discount Tire is telling me the Defender is no longer
available, it's being discontinued. The Defender appears to still be available online, so I have yet to confirm if they're available or not. The shop said they've been putting these on Sprinters: Michelin Agilis Crossclimate. Anyone have these on their van?

Any Sprinter owners/drivers have feedback on tires they're using?

Reactions: Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use Walmart on line for Michelin tires. Works everytime, never Discount waste my time Tires!

Sent from my SM-G930P using EO Forums mobile app

My post was more directed at exactly which tires are being used, not so much at where they're being purchased.

Which Michelins are you running?

I go to Discount Tire because of the lifetime free balance/rotation on a new set. I go in there every 10K when I change my oil. I'm mostly satisfied with their service.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My post was more directed at exactly which tires are being used, not so much at where they're being purchased.

Which Michelins are you running?

I go to Discount Tire because of the lifetime free balance/rotation on a new set. I go in there every 10K when I change my oil. I'm mostly satisfied with their service.
Yup, I'm running the Cross Climate. I like them. They are directional and have excellent traction. I've got 22K on them and hardly any tread worn yet.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup, I'm running the Cross Climate. I like them. They are directional and have excellent traction. I've got 22K on them and hardly any tread worn yet.

I wasn't aware they're available for the Transit, perhaps the Promaster as well ...

On all the Michelins I've used for my Sprinter, I noticed that the first 50% of the tread wore a lot slower than the bottom half of the tread.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use Walmart on line for Michelin tires. Works everytime, never Discount waste my time Tires!

Sent from my SM-G930P using EO Forums mobile app
LTX MS/2 2014 then older MS/2 LTX AT2 .2005 .. they keep changing availability . I buy 2 at a time, front new rotate worn back.. brake check... but they work!! ..thread .seems to be an advertisement blitz I don't do miles.. I only do RATE!! HOME LIFE!

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LTX MS/2 2014 then older MS/2 LTX AT2 .2005 .. they keep changing availability . I buy 2 at a time, front new rotate worn back.. brake check... but they work!! ..thread .seems to be an advertisement blitz

Dude, when's the last time you bought a tire? Like what year?
Might be helpful to read the entire thread.
Those tires are discontinued ...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I wasn't aware they're available for the Transit, perhaps the Promaster as well ...

On all the Michelins I've used for my Sprinter, I noticed that the first 50% of the tread wore a lot slower than the bottom half of the tread.
I posted here back in Sept/Oct? Yes, they are C235/65R16. C is the European designation for out LT, equivalent to 10 ply.

As a tire wears, the diameter decreases which means revolution increases and that speeds up wear.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like I'll be getting a set of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate .... 245 75R16
Costco has a black Friday promo this weekend - same tires, installed, out the door - $754. Discount Tire will match the price.

I still have the original steel wheels on my van. They've seen better days.
Have any of you guys changed the wheels? If so, what did you purchase?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I'm scratching my head wondering how much sense it makes to spend $ on a new set of wheels for a van that has 750K mi on it.
It's long overdue.
$400ish for a new set of wheels won't feel like much when I compare it to one of them falling apart in the middle of nowhere.
I'd like to replace them with steel again instead of aluminum but the steel wheels are mucho dinero ...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Yeah, I'm scratching my head wondering how much sense it makes to spend $ on a new set of wheels for a van that has 750K mi on it.
It's long overdue.
$400ish for a new set of wheels won't feel like much when I compare it to one of them falling apart in the middle of nowhere.
I'd like to replace them with steel again instead of aluminum but the steel wheels are mucho dinero ...
Steel wheels are stamped, alloy wheels are cast and machined. Alloy is more balanced but steel is stronger. However, if you hit something (pothole) hard enough to hurt an alloy wheel it would probably bend the steel wheels too.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's long overdue.
Ive got a set (2) of steel ones at the house. Will let them go for $300 plus shipping. PM me if you are interested.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Alloy wheels can cut several pounds per corner. Big deal, right? Well, it actually kind of is because a few less pounds of unsprung weight per corner can make a measurable impact on mpg and on wear and tear on the drivetrain. If I were making a wheel change I'd look for the lightest acceptable wheel I could find.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Treadmill, I never got a chance to reach out ... sorry about that. It was a busy holiday weekend. Now trying to squeeze in some work before Christmas, I had to get this done on the fly.

4 brand new steel wheels $352 w/free shipping - Wheels Xpress in OK.
Michelin Agilis CrossClimates all around.
New rubber just in time for winter ....

1207191336.jpg

1207191353.jpg

Reactions: kg and Treadmill