Van speed

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
What mph do you all drive in a van. I try to keep it 60 65 depending on the speed limit but that is so boring and getting passed by everyone gets schetchy
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It depends on the distance, ETA, routing etc. but hopefully in the 63-65 range. I want to build some cushion initially so my speed starts higher and gradually declines. For instance, I had a load Houston to Rochester over a weekend. I broke it down about 600, 600, and 400. The first two days I ran 65-67 and the final day about 62-63. On a straight through I'll do a similar thing, starting in the upper 60's and tapering down to the lower 60's as I get closer to the consignee. I'll also adjust if I know there's a museum or restaurant or friends to visit or some other reason I want to have time along the way.

Some subscribe to the get there ASAP and on the board for the next load theory. I don't. Nor do I believe in poking along and getting there just 3 or 4 minutes ahead of the deadline. There should be a good compromising of the two. The added cost of the extra speed both in fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle offsets the occasional extra job one gets from arriving early. More often, it just means more waiting.

So bottom line is the answer to your question is there is no answer.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Usually 5 over whatever the speed limit is...unless it is a long over the weekend no hurry run, then the speed limit....i just checked the fleetvison and on my trip out here to EL Paso,a straight thru a few hours nap type run of 1100 mile, in Texas where the speed limit is 75......well...if safety wants to know, they can look for themselves...:)

And yea slowing down will save you money....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been having to learn to hold it down. I had a tendency to be a leadfoot, but it doesn't take long to figure that's expensive. Especially when I come on here and find guys who are driving vans similar to mine getting five miles more per gallon than I was getting. So, I'm holding it to 60, sometimes up to 65, but really trying to hold 60 or below. And, yes, the mileage has come up enough to make it worth it. I keep records, and the book tells the tale. 1998 Chevy 2500 with the 5.7 engine, for what it's worth. Keeping it down to 60, I can show 14.5 and above per gallon.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I was able to slow down enough for a whole tank.n got 16.3. With a fuel additive. Its hard esp in texas its to tempting to get in the left lane with the flow of traffic. Make that fuel injectors pump that fuel through. But a whole year of slowing down and the saved moneys got to be in the thousands easy?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What mph do you all drive in a van. I try to keep it 60 65 depending on the speed limit but that is so boring and getting passed by everyone gets schetchy

Try driving a truck. you think everyone is passing you now.

Just remember that if you can do one little thing to keep more money in your pocket, then you have more money quicker than the other guy. I get passed by some of these canadian trucks (yeah right speedlimiters) and I can imaging they are getting less than 5 mpg while I'm getting twice that.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm avg. 16.8 @ 60 mph in my box truck. I just hang out in the right lane of the 401. Very relaxing.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I'm avg. 16.8 @ 60 mph in my box truck. I just hang out in the right lane of the 401. Very relaxing.

Id take that all day long, but at 68 mph....:) I try to go 65 mph, and some days are better then others, but for the most part i don't even make the effort....as far as goin 60...not happening....

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It involves knowing your equipment.
First, track your M.P.G. engine temps, and rpm if you have a tach or install one if its feasable do this at 60, 65, and 70 if its legal. Start by filling your tank, write down the milage or use the trip ometer if you have one and it works. When you fuel again divide the miles by gallons burned this gives you your M.P.G. Try to keep the driving conditions, and terrain the same. All highway non mountain is ideal this you can use as an average. Also intalling a tachometer is helpfull because when you learn the "sweet spot" the ideal engine R.P.M. you can use this info to adjust your driving and the ammount of fuel you use and keep your engine temps down especialy on hills. For Example. I run a 2003 International 24 foot box DT466 with an Allison 2000 series trans 403 city rears.
Ideal cruising speed 63 mph @ 2000 170 degrese F. 9 mpg
65mph @ 2300 r.p.m. engine temp - 180 deg ferinhite 8.5 mpg
Step it up to 70 mph @ 2400 rpm engine 190-200 deg. ferinhite milage 6.0 mpg
running an engine at 3000 R.P.M. is useless when 95%of useable output is used up at 2200 rpm milage tanks, and the extra heat takes a toll on any engine. Heat kill engines and transmissions your Transmission works like a heat sink as well as making its own heat and they dont cool well The faster you drive the more fuel you burn and wear and tear.Most importantly there is no load that is so hot that it wont get cold if you break down or worse yet get into a wreck.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Step it up to 70 mph @ 2400 rpm engine 190-200 deg. ferinhite milage 6.0 mpg.

Is there a gear change involved? From 63 to 65mph a 2mph increase is showing +300 rpm while 65 to 70mph a 5mph increase is showing only +100 rpm increase.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If we drive 67 mph we get about 17.0-17.6 mpg. If we kick it up to 70 mph we get 16.1-16.7mpg. When we drop our speed to 64-65 we can get 18.0 mpg. One trip I dropped my speed to 60 and we got 19.5 mpg. But I have a tough time going that slow. We drive a 2010 Chevy 6.0. Most of the time we just drive 67 and take what we get. We always try to deliver at least 1 hour early.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
It involves knowing your equipment.
First, track your M.P.G. engine temps, and rpm if you have a tach or install one if its feasable do this at 60, 65, and 70 if its legal. Start by filling your tank, write down the milage or use the trip ometer if you have one and it works. When you fuel again divide the miles by gallons burned this gives you your M.P.G. Try to keep the driving conditions, and terrain the same. All highway non mountain is ideal this you can use as an average. Also intalling a tachometer is helpfull because when you learn the "sweet spot" the ideal engine R.P.M. you can use this info to adjust your driving and the ammount of fuel you use and keep your engine temps down especialy on hills. For Example. I run a 2003 International 24 foot box DT466 with an Allison 2000 series trans 403 city rears.
Step it up to 70 mph @ 2400 rpm engine 190-200 deg. ferinhite milage 6.0 mpg
running an engine at 3000 R.P.M. is useless when 95%of useable output is used up at 2200 rpm milage tanks, and the extra heat takes a toll on any engine. Heat kill engines and transmissions your Transmission works like a heat sink as well as making its own heat and they dont cool well The faster you drive the more fuel you burn and wear and tear.Most importantly there is no load that is so hot that it wont get cold if you break down or worse yet get into a wreck.

Holy moley. I thought i was getting serious by writing my miles down when i fill up etc .im not even started. And thanks for all the info guys. Helps me get more brain cells closer to not being a newb lol

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I drive a bit slower than Nick. I also drive a bit less "aggressively" than he does. I also have less braking typically as I drive at night most of the time, and him in the day. I typically drive about 63-64 him 65-67. When we are not using the Espar he will get about 21 mpg. I get about 23 if not higher. Our average is at 22.3. Now since it is winter and we run the espar nearly 60% of the time, even while driving it has dropped to 20.1

Sent from my VS910 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I go about 60 to 62 most of the time. I'm in the right hand lane as everyone goes wizzing by. I'll just wave and say see ya when I get there.;)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Usually 5 over whatever the speed limit is...unless it is a long over the weekend no hurry run, then the speed limit....i just checked the fleetvison and on my trip out here to EL Paso,a straight thru a few hours nap type run of 1100 mile, in Texas where the speed limit is 75......well...if safety wants to know, they can look for themselves...:)

And yea slowing down will save you money....

And you get 14mph. That's pretty good considering the gearing you have.