Van Insurance

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Do under 10,000# expediter vans have to carry commercial vehicle insurance or do you just run on a standard auto policy?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm confused. If it is not a commercial vehicle why would you need commercial vehicle insurance?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm confused. If it is not a commercial vehicle why would you need commercial vehicle insurance?

Because insurance companies make the rules.....it is like why do we CVers need a DOT physical?.....Because insurance companies want it....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

If your for hire and or hauling for a for hire company, your commercial.

If you exchange money for services rendered your commercial. Just ask any of the lady's in the back lot. LOL!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talk to the people at CIS. They are the best and will see to it you have the proper coverage.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

A cargo van may not be a Commercial MOTOR Vehicle, but it is a commercial vehicle if, as others have stated, it hauls for-hire freight under motor carrier authority.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

The miles driven FAR increase the miles driven of any personal vehicle. More miles = More risk. And the fact you generate revenue with it is a factor. Technically the Feds only require $350K liab for that class of truck. But most carriers require $1M. Plus the cargo, of course.

JetAgeHobo

Rookie Expediter
Because if you just have a normal auto policy, even at 100/300/100 and you have an accident while working or hauling freight, the insurance company will pay squat!

guido4475

Not a Member
If your for hire and or hauling for a for hire company, your commercial.

If you exchange money for services rendered your commercial. Just ask any of the lady's in the back lot. LOL!

What do you call a lot lizard with a mattress strapped to her back? An owner-operator.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What do you call a lot lizard with a mattress strapped to her back? An owner-operator.

booing.jpg