Van insulation

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was wondering if it might be better to order a new van with panels, then remove panels, insulate, then reinstall panels? At one time I used some that paper material that was shredded for insulation but there was too much settling. I believe foam board in various thicknesses seems simpliar and less expensive. Recycled denim seemed to be expensive and limited R factor.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was wondering if it might be better to order a new van with panels, then remove panels, insulate, then reinstall panels? At one time I used some that paper material that was shredded for insulation but there was too much settling. I believe foam board in various thicknesses seems simpliar and less expensive. Recycled denim seemed to be expensive and limited R factor.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app
Yes, it's better if you can remove the panels, insulate, and then reinstall the panels.

I used a combination of foam board and canned foam, then covered all that with Reflectix. And then reinstalled the original panels.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used bead board on the walls and moved the gray corrugated that was on my sprinter walls to the ceiling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I used bead board on the walls and moved the gray corrugated that was on my sprinter walls to the ceiling.
I used crappy lauan panels on the ceiling, then painted them gray.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That brown board that Lowe's sells back against the back wall. It's about $8-$9 a 4x8 sheet and slick. Easy to cut and work with.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
That brown board that Lowe's sells back against the back wall. It's about $8-$9 a 4x8 sheet and slick. Easy to cut and work with.

Masonite. Handy stuff. I always have an extra sheet of the stuff stored somewhere. I think it is heavier than luan though. Next time I want a finished job, I'm going to order the thin, corrugated plastic sheets from an online sign shop and insulate behind it.

eb

SAllen81570

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about using blue jean insulation? Not as much as the R value as pink or foam insulation, but a good eco friendly option.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've mentioned before that I used the pink foam boards. I used 3/4" panels, in hindsight I should have used 1 1/2" but that's for next time now.

A few days back the panels paid for themselves another way. A "boom car" pulled up behind me, the deep base from his huge speakers rattling everything. The foam panels didn't squash the sound completely of course, but they did make it a bit more tolerable. Plain steel walls would have made an unmerciful racket.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had sprayed in insulation done on mine. Spent the extra money and had it done professionally for a grand, then applied wall and ceiling panels. Nice and toasty with my Espar in the winter running at no more than 30%.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I've mentioned before that I used the pink foam boards. I used 3/4" panels, in hindsight I should have used 1 1/2" but that's for next time now.

A few days back the panels paid for themselves another way. A "boom car" pulled up behind me, the deep base from his huge speakers rattling everything. The foam panels didn't squash the sound completely of course, but they did make it a bit more tolerable. Plain steel walls would have made an unmerciful racket.

What type of fasteners did you use?