Van age

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I took my old mule to the graveyard last year, '99 GMC 445,000 mi - I made del to all GM and Ford plants both US and Canada. That is a myth invented by some carriers to make them look good on your expense. That is the same situation with those telling to buy a Sprinter to get contracted. They do not invest a penny.

Been there and done that on the Sprinter. I'll buy another one when the carriers show an interest in paying what it costs to maintain and replace the thing. Until then-- I'm pushing a '98 Chevy for all it's worth.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Been there and done that on the Sprinter. I'll buy another one when the carriers show an interest in paying what it costs to maintain and replace the thing. Until then-- I'm pushing a '98 Chevy for all it's worth.

The carrier isn't responsible for your sprinter. If you want to believe that you deserve a better rate because of the model of van and not the work they get, then you need to look at a different company and join the real world.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The carrier isn't responsible for your sprinter. If you want to believe that you deserve a better rate because of the model of van and not the work they get, then you need to look at a different company and join the real world.

True, however: Asking me to buy the most expensive vehicle I can lay my hands on, both to buy and then to maintain-- and then paying hardscrabble rates--- well, let's just say I'm not likely to make the same mistake twice. Besides, I need something I can get repaired when it does break, and the Sprinter was found wanting in that department. Few mechanics will touch it, as I found out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
True, however: Asking me to buy the most expensive vehicle I can lay my hands on, both to buy and then to maintain-- and then paying hardscrabble rates--- well, let's just say I'm not likely to make the same mistake twice.

So you working for Genco Olive Oil company?

Besides, I need something I can get repaired when it does break, and the Sprinter was found wanting in that department. Few mechanics will touch it, as I found out.

I own and drove a lot of vehicles that no mechanic would touch, and I fixed them all. The problem isn't with the sprinter, once you get passed the idea it is not an american engineered box of nuts and bolts, then it becomes easy.

Overall I understand what you are saying, but I'm of the mindset that I am not going to close the doors on one thing because of one company.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I took my old mule to the graveyard last year, '99 GMC 445,000 mi - I made del to all GM and Ford plants both US and Canada. That is a myth invented by some carriers to make them look good on your expense. That is the same situation with those telling to buy a Sprinter to get contracted. They do not invest a penny.

That is not a myth invented by some carriers to make themxelves look better. Why do you think the reputable companies require newer equipment. It's more likely that no one at Ford or General Motors has questioned the age of your van, but every time you are awarded a load from NLM from thos companies, it clearly says that Ford and GM do not allow equipment older than 10 years on their property. If you don't believe me just ask them.

Here is what it says when you win a GM load.

GM safety requirements do not allow any equipment over 10 years old in their locations and require that drivers follow all safety regulations at their locations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure older vans do deliver to the big 3, but they are technically not allowed to, and if that carrier gets reported they can lose their access to those load opportunities.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
And the big 3 are in the business of selling vans (well. Chryco was......) its amazing the don't require their own product only.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

greg334

Veteran Expediter
GM safety requirements do not allow any equipment over 10 years old in their locations and require that drivers follow all safety regulations at their locations.

They seem to have an issue with having their own workers follow their safety policies. Walking around the plants different times, it makes me wonder why they don't fire some of these people and put monkeys in their place.

Beside that, they do not disclose those policies when you arrive or on the dock. I asked a few months back when a forklift driver decided to load a trailer that was not there and put one big dent into the box of the truck I was driving. They refused to give me any regulations or explain to me what they are.

I have not seen in writing the 10 year rule with those policies.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
They seem to have an issue with having their own workers follow their safety policies. Walking around the plants different times, it makes me wonder why they don't fire some of these people and put monkeys in their place.

Beside that, they do not disclose those policies when you arrive or on the dock. I asked a few months back when a forklift driver decided to load a trailer that was not there and put one big dent into the box of the truck I was driving. They refused to give me any regulations or explain to me what they are.

I have not seen in writing the 10 year rule with those policies.

Ok, do you have a fax number. I'll send you over a part of the application that I had to fill out that lays out the rules for delivering to automotive plants. Also when I see Bolt straight truck posted on the alliance and it says in the notes do not send to Ford or GM, truck is older than ten years. I guess all of these other companies are misled.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
thanks all ... i understand the reg and im not argueingit just a question and its nice to know that my 01 gmc may have a shot if my carrier oks it as a back up van

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
thanks all ... i understand the reg and im not argueingit just a question and its nice to know that my 01 gmc may have a shot if my carrier oks it as a back up van

The down side for both of us (mine is a 02) is that GM changed the vans enough in 03 for them to KNOW how old are vans are.

a 07 Ford looks like a 96..

My next van might be a Ford if the deal falls though on the 05 G3500 extended.