Used truck purchase

TeaDance

Active Expediter
Taking your advice here on EO on purchasing a used truck, I have a question on how to have a dyno, and oil test completed when I live in Maryland and the truck is located in northern Michigan ? Do you go stay in a hotel until the results are in and then complete the deal?

Thanks
Rich

TeaDance

Active Expediter
How much should a Dyno test ran and do you have it performed, at the dealership?

I kinda feel that having it done where I purchase the truck is like a lawyer representing themselves ....lol

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
If you have SIRIUSxm..listen to Kevin Rutherford on the road dog channel..I think its 107.....if not Google him......he is on every nite @ midnite..he covers all of this stuff 10 fold...he IS THE AUTHORITY on anything trucking related..

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

TeaDance

Active Expediter
Thank you to you who replied, however, come on EO members, certainly more then 3 of you have experience in purchasing a used truck???..........lol

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The truck can be sent to another dealer. In addition to what is already mentioned, I would have the records provided. If for example it is a Freightliner, you can have all the records pulled by the serial number. Keep in mind, that will only be dealer work. It won't include many independent shops.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Adding to what Dave said, I would have the dealer doing the dyno pull the dipstick. If the oil looks clean, I personally would not bother with the analysis.

I've heard anywhere from $325 to 600 on a dyno. Look for a bare minimum of 80% of rated horsepower.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The oil will look the same after as it did before. If it hasn't been recently serviced, you can have a sample done yourself. If it's been changed, ask them if it's been sampled recently. You want to see service records. If you see the change interval has become more frequent lately than it was for most of the life of the truck, that can be a red flag. If wear metals are showing bad, sometimes people will do a bunch of frequent changes to try and clean it up. If you see a consistant service record, and it's close to service time so you can do your own sample, that's a good sign.