Used tanks from fl? to fl70

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Somewhere I read a thread where a set of fl112 or fl106 tanks were installed on an fl70. Has anyone done this?

oh does anyone know where i can get a battery box?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure on the tanks? If they are round aluminum tanks, they may hang too low? Battery box at the dealer (expensive) or at a truck salvage yard. Other option is to buy a aluminum side box, and mount them in there.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave, Thanks my notification is not working again.

Well I read somewhere that the round tanks will fit, I thought it was on this site. My height is (or seem to be) the same as a class 8 but I may be wrong. I would like the aluminum tanks for a number of reasons, one is they don't rust. I am looking now to make a purchase when I make the big bucks (or if).

I know I saw ads for Big Rig "recyle center" for both tanks and battery boxes but can't find one of those ads in my mountain of truck papers/magazines. I will look some more.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
For a medium duty truck, try using tanks from a Western Star tractor. They're either 120 or 150 gallon, but long, and narrow. Should be up off the ground a little more than others if you mount thm correctly. I get most of my used stuff from either 4 State Trucks in Joplin, MO www.4statetrucks.com or local in Grand Rapids, MI from Frontier Truck Parts www.frontiertruckparts.com

4 State seems to hve a better selection, but Frontier is alot closer to me.

They currently have a '94 Western Star tank that is 150 gallon, measures 22" tall and 96" long, with brackets and steps for $450.
IT's a right side tank, but the left side is there too, you'd just want to take the paint off the aluminum on that one.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I know if you get to terre haute,IN there is a truck salvage yard right down the street from the pilot.they could hook you up at a reasonable price.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a friend that mounted a 150 gallon round tank on his FL70. He mounted it under the box and clearance hasn't been a problem. One of his steel tanks rusted out and they were on national backorder at the time with no estimate on availability. And, SUPER expensive new.

Oh...Have you considered a fabrication shop for the battery boxes? If you choose that route, make sure we get a complete report on assembly process, materials used, type of welding rod...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks,

I measured the truck and I may have a tough time with a 24" dia tank, the steel tanks on it now are ony 17" (I think) high.

I just need a used battery box to mount the three batteries I have.

I finally got a wiring diagram now to fix the problems I have.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
greg334, I went through this awhile back. I started to have round aluminum made at a place in Wisconsin. They were very reasonable. If I can find the number I will send it to you. I found them originally by google looking under aluminum tanks for freightliner.

What I ended up doing was going to 80 gallon aluminum tanks that are made for the M2. I could have actually gone bigger if I would have moved the battery box. You do have to reverse them so filler neck lands right. Put left on right and right on left.

The problem I ran into with the round was all the changes for the steps, brackets, and something else I forget.

You can do it though I have seen two trucks with the round both were FL80.

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748