Used IdleAire for the first time

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Wasn't impressed . $1.85 an hour doesn't seem to offer savings over idling - not when I fuel up at $2.19 a gallon in Walton , KY . I set the thermostat at 76 degrees before getting in the sleeper and temp never went over 67 degrees in the truck . It was in the mid 30's outside . I set the thermostat at the max - 85 degrees before going in for coffee and a hour later the temp got up to the mid 70's . For extended downtime a motel makes much more sense .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When they rolled it out at $1.25 an hour it wasn't a bad deal. It's still a savings based on the generally accepted gallon an hour of fuel to idle as well as saving those hours of wear and tear on the engine, extra hours on the oil etc. but not the good deal it was. When fuel drops another 50 cents a gallon (yeah, right) it won't be any savings at all other than the engine hours. An APU is still the most effective as well as cost beneficial way.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IdleAire is getting close to costing the same as fuel for idling. You still have a savings on engine hours. We like it when we are waiting for a load. You can check out anytime, unlike a motel when you pay for the night and leave 2 hours later. If we know when the next load is or are stopping while loaded a motel is often less money and the streching room is nice. Layoutshooter

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I only used it one time about two years ago and did not think it was all that good. The only thing it is good for for me would be to keep the hours off the engine. Or the superbowl.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I used it a couple of more times . There is a real problem with the heat . The unit in Cartersville GA T/A didn't heat to over 61 degrees . At the second time in N.Baltimore OH Petro I put the heat and fan on manual , the thermostat at 85 and the temp stayed around 73 .

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I gotta be missing something here?? What in the world would someone want with heat in Georgia??

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter 2 years.
FECC

We use it for the simple fact that we can heat or cool for one hour or all night. Example: It is 1500 hours you pull in and it is 100 degrees out side we hook up to idle air for seven hours and turn it off. It is now 2200 hours and the fantastic fan is more then enough. For around $13.00 we had a/c intranet and all the local tv. We have used idle air around 20 times and never had a real problem.

God bless our Military and Vets

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>I gotta be missing something here?? What in the world would
>someone want with heat in Georgia??
The same reason they would want heat in TX the last week or so .:) . Like I said - even with the "heat" going all night the temperature in the cab never got to the mid-60's . One other thing to watch with IdleAire - pay attention to the location of the uhit on your left . Some drivers just pop them out of the window and let them swing . Try to park next to one further back .

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
>I gotta be missing something here?? What in the world would
>someone want with heat in Georgia??

It never gets damp or cold in Georgia. Ya been up North to long it does get cold down here. Last night Charlotte NC 24F. I guess thats to warm for you to want to keep your drivers warm? I suppose they are suppost to chop down that tree they use to park under for shade in the summer and burn it for firewood in the winter. Did you install a Woodburning stove inside also?

This is how people get sick, sinus infections etc... Been there done that trying to save $ get sick and the doctor bill and perscription cost more than the savings, plus the Doctor lets one know not very smart move. But hey NOT YOUR PROBLEM right? One smart comment deserves another....

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
$1.85 is discounted rate @ that.
$1.85 x 24= $44.40
They offered it to us in PA and said you'll love it ,I said does it have a shower for that rate? they said no. I could shut down and go to the motel next door with refrig & shower for $42.99

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG
http://groups.msn.com/RedBirdGirlSnowball/_whatsnew.msnw

Say what needs saying & Do what needs doing because you never know about tommorrow!

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Tried Idle Air once. Smelled like stale cigarettes, and as I quit smoking I detest that smell. Never again. Mudflap.