US Express Transportation

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
have you seen add's?? or heard of
US Express. looking for contractors for cargo vans and straight trucks???
could this be a good thing or bad or the same as everyone else???

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They called me last week ( had my number on file from last june) and asked me if i was still interested in job. They said they're expanning I 35 to the east coast. I asked what they paid per loaded mile and how many loaded miles per week. She said 1500 miles per week and she would call me right back with rate for my 1 ton extended van. GUESS WHAT still no return phone call. :confused:

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
They called me last week ( had my number on file from last june) and asked me if i was still interested in job. They said they're expanning I 35 to the east coast. I asked what they paid per loaded mile and how many loaded miles per week. She said 1500 miles per week and she would call me right back with rate for my 1 ton extended van. GUESS WHAT still no return phone call. :confused:

?? lol ...... hmmm ..... confused is right. .. geeshh

just am courious ... about this.... it would be great if it all paned out miles and $$ wise..
not to mention them being a large TT company .. and having terminals all over.....
wonder if they would include us expediters the use of the driver lounges at the terminals.....
does Fed EX ..... allow the expediter drivers the use of main terminals and driver lounges/parking etc??

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I drove for ConWay Now, we were not supposed to park at a ConWay yard, nor use the lounge when crossdocking loads.
We could wait for another truck to crossdock, but other than that, they usually didn't want us hanging around.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
When I drove for ConWay Now, we were not supposed to park at a ConWay yard, nor use the lounge when crossdocking loads.
We could wait for another truck to crossdock, but other than that, they usually didn't want us hanging around.

Cheri, your dating yourself with that reference to "ConWay NOW". LOL! Corporate above "NOW" didn't have a "expedite bone" in it's body. :eek:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I should clarify.

At some terminals, we've been treated like gold. For example, in Mira Loma, California, we were offered use of their driver facilities (shower, toilet)) when a load we were picking up there went a little sideways (not the terminal staff's fault). Next, after our recent cow crash incident, we were towed to the FedEx Freight terminal in Meridian, Mississippi. Tiny depot, and the folks there were wonderful. They were frying fish at 3 PM that day, and we were invited back. If I ever thought about being a company driver, I'd want to work there.

However, we have cross-docked numerous times at numerous FedEx facilities. We try to stay out of their hair, but get the sense that we are an annoyance or distraction to most of the facilities we're dispatched to. Compounding things is the fact that our dispatch rarely, if ever, gives them a heads up that we're cross-docking there. We have been advised that the only time we're to use another FedEx facility is if it is for a safe haven and it's pre-arranged. Maybe that's changed, and we're not aware of it.

If it did, we'd love it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I don't recall ever reading that in my contract or hearing it at orientation. And, yes I did attend the Con-Way orientation. Cheri, you being a woman, I'll give you some latitude on the term "lounge". I have used their breakrooms and restrooms. I have parked overnight and even considered using the Des Plaines terminal as my mailing address. I have found all but a very few terminals to be friendly and accommodating. Being a former Con-Way LTL employee I knew what buttons to push and names to drop if necessary and didn't take any crap.

Once at the Tomah terminal a Hitleresque supervisor said he could not complete our freight transfer for several hours until he could spare a man. This was mid afternoon and a few dock guys were wandering around spitting and picking their noses. I jumped on a forklift and moved one pallet from my van and loaded it on a T/T. The Hitler dude was furious and hit me with all kinds of worthless threats. Never heard anything from Con-Way Now about my "inappropriate" behavior.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't recall ever reading that in my contract or hearing it at orientation. And, yes I did attend the Con-Way orientation. Cheri, you being a woman, I'll give you some latitude on the term "lounge". I have used their breakrooms and restrooms. I have parked overnight and even considered using the Des Plaines terminal as my mailing address. I have found all but a very few terminals to be friendly and accommodating. Being a former Con-Way LTL employee I knew what buttons to push and names to drop if necessary and didn't take any crap.

That right there [knowing which names to push & buttons to drop] makes all the difference, eh? ;)

Once at the Tomah terminal a Hitleresque supervisor said he could not complete our freight transfer for several hours until he could spare a man. This was mid afternoon and a few dock guys were wandering around spitting and picking their noses. I jumped on a forklift and moved one pallet from my van and loaded it on a T/T. The Hitler dude was furious and hit me with all kinds of worthless threats. Never heard anything from Con-Way Now about my "inappropriate" behavior.

I always found it annoying that I can parallel park a t/t, but can't drive a forklift, lol. I'll pallet jack it, if that gets me out quicker when everyone's busy - did that a few times.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have been advised that the only time we're to use another FedEx facility is if it is for a safe haven and it's pre-arranged.

That's how it was while Diane and I were with FCC. We got in and out of many facilities and on rare occasions were permitted to spend the night. The people were nice but FedEx terminals were seldom a place to stay, never a place to shower and usually a place to get out of once your freight was picked up or delivered.

We understood. A lot goes on at those places. Providing hospitality and parking for FCC drivers would be a distraction and would not help them get done what they are there to every day.

We were eager to get out of those places most of the time anyway. Our FCC lease agreement indemnified FedEx from any damage our truck might have suffered while on FedEx property. Had a FedEx truck or forklift damaged our truck, the uninsured portion of the loss would have been ours to bear and no claims made to FedEx for the damage would have been accepted.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
that was not the experience we had with conway terminals either. while with conway now we used the terminals all the time, especially the one off jarupa in fontana, ca. when we went to L.A. we stayed at that terminal all the time. even for a few days in a row. we always found that the sister company people were great. the one in mcallen, tx was great also. i do remember one somewhere in wi. that gave us a hard time but upon speaking to the real boss all was ok. that was one of the things we loved about being involved with conway now, the availability of the terminals. they were always a safe place to park and like some said at times good grilled food.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i do remember one somewhere in wi. that gave us a hard time but upon speaking to the real boss all was ok.

That was probably the terminal in Tomah, Wisconsin at the I-90/I-94 split where Mr. Hitler thought he ran the show. I usually felt welcome at Con-Way terminals and fielded questions about Con-Way Now and expedite in general. It was important to park far out of the way as to not interfere with their morning inbound, evening outbound and late night re-ship operations.

Back to Morningstar's original question. Would this be the U.S. Express T/L carrier out of Chattanooga or the New York based airfreight forwarder?

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That was probably the terminal in Tomah, Wisconsin at the I-90/I-94 split where Mr. Hitler thought he ran the show. I usually felt welcome at Con-Way terminals and fielded questions about Con-Way Now and expedite in general. It was important to park far out of the way as to not interfere with their morning inbound, evening outbound and late night re-ship operations.

Back to Morningstar's original question. Would this be the U.S. Express T/L carrier out of Chattanooga or the New York based airfreight forwarder?

... i dont really know ..... i just keep getting a advertisment for it on my FB page.. to come drive for them. with straight trucks or cargo vans.. and it has a pic of a cargo van on the add.

madmax46217

Seasoned Expediter
I called them today, and it is the Chattanooga location. As stated in an earlier post, they are mostly I-35 east. I was quoted mileage rates of .70 for a van, and $1.00 for a Sprinter, plus fsc, which is currently .22. The lady is supposed to email me pertinent information, so it is a waiting game. She wanted me to know that it is not expedite per se, but LTL general freight. They expect o/os to stay out three weeks. That might be good if they can load from point B. I have read somewhere today that a large part of their business is from Amazon.com, and that they could be hiring for the Christmas rush. I guess time will tell. I am waiting until spring to decide on jumping back into the game. I have a job that many would die for, but it's still working for someone else, and I don't drive the same truck every day, which is a hassle.
Hope this helps.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I called them today, and it is the Chattanooga location. As stated in an earlier post, they are mostly I-35 east. I was quoted mileage rates of .70 for a van, and $1.00 for a Sprinter, plus fsc, which is currently .22. The lady is supposed to email me pertinent information, so it is a waiting game. She wanted me to know that it is not expedite per se, but LTL general freight. They expect o/os to stay out three weeks. That might be good if they can load from point B. I have read somewhere today that a large part of their business is from Amazon.com, and that they could be hiring for the Christmas rush. I guess time will tell. I am waiting until spring to decide on jumping back into the game. I have a job that many would die for, but it's still working for someone else, and I don't drive the same truck every day, which is a hassle.
Hope this helps.

1.22pm is pretty decent for sprinter. As long as you get anything over 1300+ miles a week you could probably make decent money.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Ant new info on this, as I see that the ad on here now states straight trucks as well? When I drove TT, I considered them, as most of their drivers seemed fairly content with them. But since they didn't have a flat bed division, didn't bother calling them.

Just curious what their ST rate would be.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
thats funny,when i had my tractor on with ConWay Now,we used their lounge often,although I was on a dedicated pick up at the Freight yard in Salem Il