Understanding the Load Opportunity

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Does anyone who drives for FedEx really know how the “load opportunity” or “31’s” work? I mean, REALLY?

I totally understand the “load opportunity” objective with regard to FedEx’s point of view. As I understand it, the inspiration of the “load opportunity” was to get loads covered within certain period of time, thus, servicing the customer’s faster, and by doing so eliminating any haggling with driver over load rates.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

First, isn’t the “load opportunity” supposed to go to trucks located in one express center?

Secondly, isn’t the “load opportunity” supposed to go to the #1 truck in that express center if that truck accepts it?

Thirdly, if the #1 truck does not accept the “load opportunity”, the #2 truck then gets the load if they accept it, and so on.

This is the way it was explained to me by FedEx personnel. From what we have seen of this “load opportunity system” this is not the way it is working.

From what I have seen:

1. Load opportunities are being dispatched to trucks in more than one express center often times trucks in as many as 5 express centers are being sent the same load opportunities.
2. Load opportunities are often dispatched in batches. Sometimes three or more loads come out one right after another. If you accept all three, which one will be accepted? AND if you accept only one and don’t get that one, you lose your ability to accept any of the others? Or if you don’t accept any, how many refusals are given out? One to each #1 truck in each express center it was sent to?
3. Load opportunities do not take into account if trucks have an under 75 status, therefore, why should or would anyone take an under 75 mile load as the incentive to move to the #1 position in an express center?
4. Load opportunities are being dispatched to moving or in route vehicles. Clearly this is not a safe practice especially for the solo driver. Because the “load opportunity” offer does not assign the pro number in the reply macro, answering the offer requires the solo driver to either pull over to write down the number or write down the number while driving and then operation of the Qualcomm while going down the road. With teams the answering process is not as much of a safety issue as it is an annoyance issue. The driver has to summon the resting and/or sleeping co-driver from the bunk to reply while the co-driver is on their ten hour break.
5. Load opportunities are being dispatched to solo drivers while they are on their ten hour breaks even though they need to be picked up before their ten hour break is completed. Once again, this is not a safe practice to wake a driver during his/her break, as well as, the simple fact the driver is not able legally to take the load in the first place!
6. Load opportunities are not being replied to, if accepted, in a timely fashion, thereby you may not know if you have gotten a load and accept another. OR you think you have gotten a load and it was given to another truck and you have subsequently turned down other loads because you assumed you were assigned to the prior load because you are the #1 truck…the scenarios are endless….
7. Load opportunities are being offered in an express center that only has ONE truck in them! I am not sure of what the actual reason for this action would be but can only conclude it is so the dispatchers can avoid speaking to the drivers directly about the load.
8. Load opportunities in many instances are not depicting true dead head mileage to pick up locations and in many instances do not include the dead head pay the truck has done already getting to the express center.
9. The load opportunity system is supposed to be in test mode however, some… if not all… refusals are showing up on many trucks load acceptance statistics. Obviously, this is not right or fair simply due to the fact we have no way to decipher if our truck was the #1 truck or not and whether or not it should be justifiably charged for the refusal.

Sorry for the long post, but the above list is just a few of my immediate concerns about the “load opportunity” system.

Reactions: 1 person

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I really feel if they are using the word “opportunity” it really is tricking the contractor into thinking that there is more work out there than there really is.

The proper word is offer.

I think this is another employee v. contractor point that was being made in another thread.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Does anyone who drives for FedEx really know how the “load opportunity” or “31’s” work? I mean, REALLY?

I totally understand the “load opportunity” objective with regard to FedEx’s point of view. As I understand it, the inspiration of the “load opportunity” was to get loads covered within certain period of time, thus, servicing the customer’s faster, and by doing so eliminating any haggling with driver over load rates.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

First, isn’t the “load opportunity” supposed to go to trucks located in one express center?

Secondly, isn’t the “load opportunity” supposed to go to the #1 truck in that express center if that truck accepts it?

Thirdly, if the #1 truck does not accept the “load opportunity”, the #2 truck then gets the load if they accept it, and so on.

This is the way it was explained to me by FedEx personnel. From what we have seen of this “load opportunity system” this is not the way it is working.

From what I have seen:

1. Load opportunities are being dispatched to trucks in more than one express center often times trucks in as many as 5 express centers are being sent the same load opportunities.
2. Load opportunities are often dispatched in batches. Sometimes three or more loads come out one right after another. If you accept all three, which one will be accepted? AND if you accept only one and don’t get that one, you lose your ability to accept any of the others? Or if you don’t accept any, how many refusals are given out? One to each #1 truck in each express center it was sent to?
3. Load opportunities do not take into account if trucks have an under 75 status, therefore, why should or would anyone take an under 75 mile load as the incentive to move to the #1 position in an express center?
4. Load opportunities are being dispatched to moving or in route vehicles. Clearly this is not a safe practice especially for the solo driver. Because the “load opportunity” offer does not assign the pro number in the reply macro, answering the offer requires the solo driver to either pull over to write down the number or write down the number while driving and then operation of the Qualcomm while going down the road. With teams the answering process is not as much of a safety issue as it is an annoyance issue. The driver has to summon the resting and/or sleeping co-driver from the bunk to reply while the co-driver is on their ten hour break.
5. Load opportunities are being dispatched to solo drivers while they are on their ten hour breaks even though they need to be picked up before their ten hour break is completed. Once again, this is not a safe practice to wake a driver during his/her break, as well as, the simple fact the driver is not able legally to take the load in the first place!
6. Load opportunities are not being replied to, if accepted, in a timely fashion, thereby you may not know if you have gotten a load and accept another. OR you think you have gotten a load and it was given to another truck and you have subsequently turned down other loads because you assumed you were assigned to the prior load because you are the #1 truck…the scenarios are endless….
7. Load opportunities are being offered in an express center that only has ONE truck in them! I am not sure of what the actual reason for this action would be but can only conclude it is so the dispatchers can avoid speaking to the drivers directly about the load.
8. Load opportunities in many instances are not depicting true dead head mileage to pick up locations and in many instances do not include the dead head pay the truck has done already getting to the express center.
9. The load opportunity system is supposed to be in test mode however, some… if not all… refusals are showing up on many trucks load acceptance statistics. Obviously, this is not right or fair simply due to the fact we have no way to decipher if our truck was the #1 truck or not and whether or not it should be justifiably charged for the refusal.

Sorry for the long post, but the above list is just a few of my immediate concerns about the “load opportunity” system.

Good point all the way.

listening to dispatchers when they think they hung up and watching the boards and centers adjecent to ya.

Might be part of the reason. By the way the only way to know if your truck was top is to call if its was #2 or 3 and U said no and the Top one took the load then it dont count against you. So that is what Im told.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Good point all the way.

listening to dispatchers when they think they hung up and watching the boards and centers adjecent to ya.

Might be part of the reason. By the way the only way to know if your truck was top is to call if its was #2 or 3 and U said no and the Top one took the load then it dont count against you. So that is what Im told.

The funny thing is, there are a few things that don't show up with the VRU or the cLink that shows up in front of the dispatcher.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Truck not weclome at this sight

Detenion Time, Less than 75 ect

footage, tonage, Equipment, Qualifications, Teamed

ect. Sal Sys ect.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Since you asked for replies from FedEx drivers, here is mine. I do not disagree with most of what you said. I encourage you to send your words by e-mail to your contractor coordinator; Subject: Feedback on New Dispatch System. Your message will be forwarded to the appropriate people.

I do not understand everything about the new system, but understand it enough to make it work. I do not believe there is anything wrong with the system that cannot be fixed and I am hoping they will get it fixed soon.

I have heard from people who are in a position to know that, because of the new system, runs are being captured that were being lost to other carriers before. In that sense, the system is a success and good news for drivers. Now, let's get the tweaking done and free drivers from the new system's flaws.

I would not want to go back to the old system. With more business coming our way, I can put up with transitional hiccups for a while.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
So that is what Im told.

To me, this is the root of the problem. Each of us has been told something different, by different people, and at different times. I have read the other threads here regarding the load opportunity and it appears to me that there are only a few that like the "load opportunity" system but most don't seem to either like the way it is working or are having difficulty understanding the "rules".

I read somewhere here that this system would give trucks an opportunity to select a load if we wanted to go a certain way...I think that this would be very hard, if not nearly impossible to do, when a load opportunity is going out to one to five express centers. At best, even if they dispatch it only to the #1 truck in each of these express centers...how is it determined which #1 truck gets it? If it selects by the truck that is closer, WHY in world are they sending it to #1 trucks in all the other express centers when they will not even get the load?!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
To me, this is the root of the problem. Each of us has been told something different, by different people, and at different times.

Not so. What I know of the new system I learned from the same written information that was shared with all contractors. While the rumor mill and personal observations kicked in after that, the best source remains the written info FedEx Custom Critical has provided.

For as long as we have been talking to drivers, people interpret events differently and form different conclusions. This has more to do with human behavior than any dispatch system, new or old.

Your feedback is valid and I again urge you to share it with the powers that be.

Last edited:

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not so. What I know of the new system I learned from the same written information that was shared with all contractors.

I apparently have not received all the information then. My information indicated the load opportunity was going to be used in one express center at a time and that only the #1 truck would be "charged' with a refusal if they turned it down and initially it was only going to be used in certain areas.

It made no mention of the under 75 status not being recognized.

It also did not indicate that the "opportunity" system would be used in areas that had only one truck within the dispatched express center. What, if any, is the purpose of this?

It also did not state that the "load opportunities" would be sent out in batches of three or more within seconds of each other.

It also did not note that there could be a waiting period as long as one hour before I would be told whether or not I had been assigned the load.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
ATeam;

Why not do away with the express centers? If loads are being dispatched to five areas what is the point of positioning a truck within 50 miles of a particular location. What is the point of attaining a #1 status in an express center if loads are being dispatched to five other express centers? Furthermore, comparing the “load opportunity” quandaries with regards to a white glove truck to a surface expedite truck is not analogous.

As you have pointed out several times, you are almost always pre-planned on loads; therefore, the impact of the “load opportunity” on your business is limited. Surface trucks are not as often pre-planned, if at all. You have also pointed out the positioning is the key to getting loads. With this system, positioning can get, at best---complicated, at worse--- impossible.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The longest I've waited has been three minuets,i did have a load that cancled three times,and when it finally was a go,after accepting it the forth time,a closer truck showed up and got it.Actually was happy I didnt get the run,turned out the city it was going wasnt where I thought it was,and I would have ended up in a dead area,or would have had a long dead head to layover

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'll try to explain this new system.Load opportunity is being used instead of load offer,so you will know its the new system.All loads are selected by the DVA system,as they were in the old system,and still are,the only difference,more trucks are offered dispatched at the same time.I don't know where you read that you would be able to select where you wanted to go,cause expedite has no definite direction.Now as far as the turn downs,if you turn a load down,and the actual truck in the position ahead of you takes the load,you will not get the turn down,of courswe if your the truck,and you turn it down,then you get the turn down.This system is in still in trial,it has many bugs,mainly in a safety issue.If you have issues with anything,you are to contact contractor relations.I know they are working on a voice response method,and some other things.I've had issues with not being able to understand some of the offers,and being able to write down the numbers,traffic issues and construction,what ive done was called in on my second cell phone.This system isnt perfect,thats why they are still working on it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
ATeam;

Why not do away with the express centers? If loads are being dispatched to five areas what is the point of positioning a truck within 50 miles of a particular location. What is the point of attaining a #1 status in an express center if loads are being dispatched to five other express centers? Furthermore, comparing the “load opportunity” quandaries with regards to a white glove truck to a surface expedite truck is not analogous.

As you have pointed out several times, you are almost always pre-planned on loads; therefore, the impact of the “load opportunity” on your business is limited. Surface trucks are not as often pre-planned, if at all. You have also pointed out the positioning is the key to getting loads. With this system, positioning can get, at best---complicated, at worse--- impossible.

I don't know why you are asking me about the need for express centers. You seem more informed about the dispatch system than me. Intentionally, I have limited my knowledge of the system to what our carrier has provided in writing and personal experience. With new developments like this, driver speculation and rumoring runs rampant. I prefer to get my info from authorative sources. Drivers may speak with absolute certainty about how the new system works, but they may also be wrong.

I have some of the same gripes as you and have provided feedback to our contractor coordinator. I am confident that the bugs will be worked out and am patient enough to allow the time for it to happen. Application development is not easy. I am mindful of the challenge the programmers have and am content to let them do their thing.

Why not do away with express centers? My GUESS would be that express centers remain important from the carrier's point of view because they are reference points used to positon trucks and optimize the ability to meet customer needs.

If you have number one status in an express center and a load you are eligible for comes up, it does not matter how many other trucks are also eligible for the load. You remain number one and should get the load. The exception may be if a reefer or other specialty truck is needed at the delivery express center for that load and you are not a reefer truck. In that case, the system may bump you down in favor of the needed specialized truck and/or team.

At least I think that is so. The above is not from FedEx. It is from me and should be given no more credibility than just another driver's idea about how the system may work. I know enough about the system to make it work for me. I don't know how the overall system works, and I don't need or want to know.

Regarding pre-planned loads, when things are busy, we are often predispatched on a load before we deliver the current load. But when things are slow, that is not the case. Nor is it the case that we are "almost always" pre-planned on loads.

For example, on Friday we delivered a load in Raleigh, NC and parked to wait for the next load offer. (I don't like the word "oppertunity" either. It is unprofessional and feels like someone is trying to sell me something. Though, I have had fun calling dispatchers with a counter-offer giving them the "opportunity" to raise the pay. :D)

We were not predispatched. With three straight-trucks already checked into Raleigh, we pretty-much expected an offer for a Monday pickup if we received an offer at all, on a Friday afternoon. We settled in for what we figured would be a weekend wait. But an offer came. It picks up in an express center several hundred miles away. The money was OK. We are deadheading there now for a Monday pickup.

With trucks already in that express center and Raleigh, and other centers a few hundred miles around, why did we get the load? Well, we did not get it the first time. The offer came, we accepted and it went to another truck. Then a second, nearly-identical offer came but with a different run number. We accepted and got that one.

What happened? My GUESS is a shipper has multiple loads going out that require specialized trucks and teams. Having already used the ones nearby, dispatch reached further out. In doing so, it passed over probably dozens of trucks in multiple express centers, but they would have been passed over anyway, since they were not qualified to haul this particular kind of freight.

I don't see much of a problem with this. After all, if you don't have a liftgate on your truck, you are not in a position to complain that you don't get liftgate loads.

We did not get the offers because of problems with the new dispatch system. We got them because we were qualified and available to haul the freight. Old dispatch system or new, the result would have been the same.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just a outsider looking in, that whole system looks like a mess.
Everything from fielding load offers on one phone and having to call on another, to fielding calls on loads all the time that one would never run.
One would have thought to have tried it on a handful of trucks verses a whole fleet.
If they are calling on a Friday for a load that picks up Monday, it would appear they are searching for the cheapest truck verses speed for a pick up.
But again, I know nothing of that system other than what is posted. Can't say I would want it though.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Just a outsider looking in,

That's right.

that whole system looks like a mess.

That's wrong.

If they are calling on a Friday for a load that picks up Monday, it would appear they are searching for the cheapest truck verses speed for a pick up.

That's also wrong.

If you read the post, you would see they were searching for qualified trucks, not cheap ones. When I say the money was OK, I meant good-enough all-miles pay for us to accept the load. By good-enough, I mean at or above our profit margin. There are people out there who haul freight cheaper than us. If it was a cheap truck they were looking for, they would have never reached out to us.

As is often the case, we can count on DaveKC to jump into a thread where FedEx is being discussed to mis-spin what is being said and make negative insinuations about a carrier he competes with.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know if it is wrong or not? Only going by what is posted.
Could be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
But, have read enough to see I wouldn't want Panther adopting anything like that.
I don't think I mis-spun anything. I am only reading what is posted here.
But keeping a open mind, I quess you will have to explain how this benefits the driver.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Chances would be good. If I lost drivers as a result of it, then I would see little reason to stay. That would apply to any carrier.
You won't see me defending the absurd.

Last edited:

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It was clearly a mistake to even start this thread. My intentions were to get some more feedback on the ‘load opportunity” system. It was not posted to malign FedEx or to compare their dispatch procedures with that of other carriers. We really like driving for FedEx as typified by the fact that we have free will to go to other carriers.

I wish for once that posting something which is critical of a carrier’s procedures was not perceived as some sort of attack but as a constructive assessment of a system that, in my opinion, needs some adjustments. I am really tired of the “us against them” attitude. It bothers me that if someone has an issue with his/her carrier and speaks openly of it this is often perceived as being disloyal or whining.

Call it rumors, call it supposition, call it gossip, call it whatever…but the fact of the matter is…we have spoken with several people that are not happy with the “load opportunity” system. Some people here have stated they have no problems with the new system but does that mean that people who do have valid problems are being disingenuous?

Has the new system ruined our business? No. Has it adversely affected it? Sometimes.

Do I think FedEx cares one bit if I personally like the system or not? Not for a second…