U-Drift

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A new activity to check off of the bucket list....

The Las Vegas Motor Speedway has always got something going on and a new thing for them is U-Drift...

We were able to watch a competitors one Saturday night and it looked like a blast.

We were then in Las Vegas again and decided to give this a try. $75.00 and money well spent. A semi and trailer can park down where they have this set up.

You need to have closed toed shoes on and other than that be prepared for fun.

We were able to have a ride along with one of the instructors that competes and ride in his car. It was an huge adrenaline rush and we could not wait to drive ourselves.

It is harder than it looks as we wanted to pull the car out of a slide instead of keeping it in a slide. After a short period of time Bob and I were both able to keep the car sliding sideways while circling barrels.

We found it to be a blast and cannot wait to try it again.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After doing U-Drift I think you will find the ATA Truck Driving Championship a bit dull. Top speed is about 5 mph and your tires will barely get warm.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Moot we backed out of the championships for this year. Several things came into consideration and one was how long it took us to get this new truck on the road and producing an income.

Skill is skill whether it is done fast are slow it is exhilarating to do it right. I admit I am a speed freak and drifting is something a medium income person can compete in which I think is why it was so much fun. It would take me a bit to get over my tightwad status when I see the black smoke rolling and know that tread is being peeled off of those tires... But I think I could get over it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Moot we backed out of the championships for this year. Several things came into consideration and one was how long it took us to get this new truck on the road and producing an income.

Skill is skill whether it is done fast are slow it is exhilarating to do it right. I admit I am a speed freak and drifting is something a medium income person can compete in which I think is why it was so much fun. It would take me a bit to get over my tightwad status when I see the black smoke rolling and know that tread is being peeled off of those tires... But I think I could get over it.

Hey Bob and Linda. Still enjoying your new rig?? Something you said about taking more time to get your truck producing income. I know what you mean. It's a tough decision to make one type from another, usage vs. options of comfort and all. Then when you make up your mind you still have to get it. About a six month ordeal for me.
Hope to see you again at the Expo.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are still in shock and awe over this truck. Not only driving the truck but sitting at the table in the sleeper as I am now typing away.

It took longer to get the truck on the road than anticipated. The things we wanted done took longer than we thought they would.

Taking the plunge to buy this truck was probably one of the hardest decisions we have ever made. Much harder than the first truck as it was basically bought on blind faith. This truck was bought on hard cold facts. We had run so long without a truck payment it was hard to get my mind around having another payment. Now that we are in the truck I am wondering why in the world we waiting so darn long. I know why we waiting so long as we wanted the DD13 in a short hood and it was not available...

I am very glad we did not buy in 2008 as I have a hard time imaging the stress that new owners where going through when everything slowed down and there was still a payment to be made. My hat goes off to all that made it through intact they are the true business people.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jim I did ask how many gallons they got per mile and it not good...

Between the fuel they use as well as the tires they burn off of those cars it is hard to imagine.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Skill is skill whether it is done fast are slow it is exhilarating to do it right....

You made a wise decision. The NTDC will be there next year and the year after that. The less distracted you can be while preparing for the event, the more you will enjoy and benefit from the process.

Regarding "skill is skill," note that most NTDC competitors work hard to refine their skills. Competitors who have entered the contest for many years in a row will tell you that if you lose it is not because you were less skilled. It was because it was not your day.

If the contest was run twice in a row in the same day, it is almost certain that the guy or gal who won it the first time would not win it the second time.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jim, if you want improved fuel mileage try U-Draft.

drafting.jpg