Two Computers One truck dilemma

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob had finally decided he would like to have his own access to the web.

This is all new territory for me and I would like and ideas you can help me with to make this all work.

Bob only wants to be able to research using the web and also to receive email. He has no desire to work on spreadsheets or to even write his own articles. (he hates to type)

He will need to be able to print information from the web.

I have a Sprint wireless card with unlimited download so I do not want to change this service.

I am wondering if maybe the new I PAD might work for him?

I figure I will need to get a wireless printer so that he would be able to print and I could also print that way.

Any ideas would sure be appreciated as we will be home next week and I can find him something he can use.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Yep I-Pad & trucks ...perfect .

can be Velcro on the windshield & you can actually do some work while driving ... :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check with Sprint about using your current plan with their MiFi or whatever it's called that allows up to 5 users at one time. Just be sure to put passwords on it so nobody nearby can piggyback off your signal.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not want to get rid of my Sprint card so I need to find something that will work with it.

The little of have seen of the I-Pad looks as if it will work well and then maybe I can just keep my Blackberry and quit drooling over the Droid.

I will check on the mifi when at home. What would be best do you think Sprint store or Best Buy for the mifi?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
If I were you, I would deal directly with the Sprint store. I don't know if Sprint is like Verizon in their service plans for their air cards and mifis but I wouldn't trust anyone but Sprint to assure me that I'll still be getting my unlimited service. Changing to the mifi will do you no good if they won't let you keep your unlimited plan.

Not sure why you don't want to let go of your air card, the mifi gives you the same service and more.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not want to do anything that will jeopardize my unlimited downloads.

My computer also has an internal card and I really like that.

I download a lot of books and I do not want to lose that.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recently got a new Verizon air card through Best Buy and had no problem having my unlimited plan grandfathered into the new contract. I wasn't even expecting that, I thought I'd be stuck with the limit.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do not want to get rid of my Sprint card so I need to find something that will work with it.
You will not be able to share your Sprint card with another computer without using a dedicated router, a hub with Ethernet connections, or replacing the the card with either a Novatel MiFi™ 3G or the newer Sierra Overdrive™ 3G/4G hotspot. Other option is to get him his own aircard. I'd recommend the Sierra Overdrive™ 3G/4G hotspot, depending on the current state your current contract plan and time remaining.

The little of have seen of the I-Pad looks as if it will work well and then maybe I can just keep my Blackberry and quit drooling over the Droid.
The Droid is way better than a Blackberry. :D

The iPad is a really big iPod Touch, and runs pretty much the same apps that the iPod and iPhone run. If Bob already has an iPhone or an Ipod, he'll feel right at home with the iPad. While the iPad apps are far more expansive than the iPhone offers, the iPad still isn't a computer in the normal sense. One of the best descriptions I've read of it is that it's a appliance for media consumers, and not really a computer. You can get things done, work with it, play with it, consume content with it, but one of the more common comments even from die hard fanboys is that, at times, it feels like a computer for beginners. That may be just the thing for Bob, tho, I dunno.

It's really good for pictures and movies (except there's no 16:9 widescreen support). There's no multitasking, and some argue that the lack of multitasking will mean nothing to most users. Right up until they want to use a chat program while surfing the Web. But, multitasking is supposed to be available with a software update in the fall of 2010. The iPad will also only run software from the App Store, where both apps and content are under the strict control and censorship of Apple. That may or may not be an issue with you. The other lacking feature is the lack of wireless sync with other portable devices. Again, might not be an issue for you.

One thing to keep in mind about using an Apple mobile device (iPhone or iPad) for surfing the Web is, no Adobe Flash, because Steve Jobs doesn't like it. It also doesn't have a USB port or an SD card reader, only Apple's famous 30-pin dock port so you can dock it and then use a USB device or a card reader. It's meant to be a brain-dead easy-to-use appliance, and being able to hook up a printer or a scanner to the USB port would mean that people would have to install printer and scanner drivers (the horror).

If you already have a Mac or an iPhone, then an iPad may be the way to go. Otherwise, something like a netbook is probably what you want.

I will check on the mifi when at home. What would be best do you think Sprint store or Best Buy for the mifi?
Whichever is cheaper. You'll probably need to start a new 2-year contract with it, so that may make a difference. But by and large, Best Buy tends to be cheaper than the carriers for this stuff. I don't think that Best Buy has the Sierra Overdrive™ 3G/4G hotspot yet, tho, and Sprint has a really good price on it ($50 with a new contract).

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Linda if you're drooling over the droid, you might be able to kill two birds with one stone with this new phone from sprint. Mobile hotspot capability....there's your mifi right there...for 8! Oh and it's android operated.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is really cool and I will check that out. I have to convince Bob though that is what he wants not a "real" computer! I was stretching it convincing him an IPAD might him do the research and reading he wants to.

When he hears of a website on the radio he like to go read about it. I will run him through as scenarios as I can till I hope we can reach a happy medium.

Our phone/internet bills are high enough and I hope to not increase them.

He fusses with the Blackberry with his fingers and the little keys.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There isn't a lot of 4g coverage I don't think and I wonder how well (if?) all that will work in areas that don't have 4g. The iPad must have a wifi connection or it won't do anything external. It's a very cool toy but seems pretty expensive for what it offers. If your unlimited plan can transfer to a mifi device, that plus a netbook with full size or almost full size keys might be best. With it, if he decides to progress to spreadsheets or whatever, he's ready to and if he only checks out websites he hears about etc. it's good for that too.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The phone works in 3G or 4G so that should cover that potential problem.

I probably didn't make myself clear enough on the suggestion. If you're drooling over the droid, this phone could both replace your blackberry AND provide the mifi service that you will need for two computers. In addition, you could pick up a netbook for Bob....you could probably get these two devices for the price of one ipad.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the clarification and getting rid of the Blackberry would be fine by me. I will start researching a netbook as I have never been interested in one.

I am beginning to wish he just would stay uninterested in a computer..

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the clarification and getting rid of the Blackberry would be fine by me. I will start researching a netbook as I have never been interested in one.

I am beginning to wish he just would stay uninterested in a computer..

I'm hearing people say that the difference between the blackberry and an android device is night and day. I've never had a blackberry but I really like the android OS.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You might find good basic info at computershopper.com and when you look at netbooks pay close attention to the keyboard. Some have way too tiny keys. For that matter, the basic Macbook isn't a lot more than an iPad and it's some fine machine. That would work extremely well with the new droid phone thing.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone for all of your help and insight on our project to have two computers access the internet and not increase our bill

I was able to get a MiFi at the Sprint store and this did not change my plan at all. The good news here is I my surfing speed went up! What a great bonus.

Bob played with a netbook and the Ipad and finally settled on the IPad. He really liked the ability to make a page larger to read. We bought him the smallest one at 16g and he is hooked up to the internet and cruising.

After reading the suggested material people sent links to and all of the discussion I felt better educated when I went to talk to the Sprint store and Best Buy.

THANK YOU Thank You