Turbocharger faied in middle of load....grrrr

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Well, I just experienced my first mechanical failure in my 2004 Sprinter 2500. Had to transfer the load after 700 hard miles. Ended up at the Dodge dealer in Hattiesburg, MS who confirmed that it was the turbocharger that failed but they could not get a new one for 2 months. He said they just weren't available. I went online and found several sources for turbochargers, including ebay. Question is - Are these online companies who sell the turbochargers OK to use, and will a dealership typically install a part they do not provide. I won't be able to get the answer froom them until Monday when the service department reopens so any insight will help me get going on the repair. Thanks!

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good luck, hope it works out. How sad is it that any repair shop would just shrug their shoulders and expect someone to wait 2 months for a part. Insane.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Good luck, hope it works out. How sad is it that any repair shop would just shrug their shoulders and expect someone to wait 2 months for a part. Insane.

u know,,this is one of many stories we have all read about Sprinter parts,,the idea of waiting 2 months on a part or any Sprinter part is unacceptable or just a bunch of sheetz in this day and age. A Sprinter cost 40 to 50k and to be out of parts is just ^%*(&*()%, thank u very much..I would be pieved.:eek:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
what kind of engine is it,then google that brand of engine and you might find where to get the turbo.I just googled sprinter turbo,there is a company that has reman for 650 bucks just google sprinter turbos

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Many Dodge dealers, especially those who weren't Sprinter dealers in the first place, have a hard time getting Sprinter parts through normal Chrysler channels these days. Because of that, those who don't do a lot of Sprinter work have not bothered to find out what the other options are, so they are reduced to ordering parts directly from Daimler in Germany.

Any dealer should install customer-supplied parts. If they won't, then they are turning away labor revenue that many dealers can ill afford to turn away. I have not had any problems at all with dealers refusing to install my supplied parts.

I don't know what online places you've checked, but certainly Europarts of San Diego is OK to use. As for eBay, depends on the seller. I might be tempted to snag a used turbocharger if it is considerably less than the $2200 List Price or $1775 Europarts price, but it would depend on just how used it is.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the responses guys. I've found them online anywhere from the $650.00 that nightcreacher saw to new ones ranging up to $1,245 on turbochargers.com. It's good to hear that Turtle has not experienced any problems with dealers installing customer supplied parts. I guess the plan now is to make sure I've got the right part and have it overnighted to the dealer as soon as I confirm that they will install it. Where is the turbocharger located anyway? They say I should get the part number off of the existing turbocharger.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well, I just experienced my first mechanical failure in my 2004 Sprinter 2500. Had to transfer the load after 700 hard miles. Ended up at the Dodge dealer in Hattiesburg, MS who confirmed that it was the turbocharger that failed but they could not get a new one for 2 months. He said they just weren't available. I went online and found several sources for turbochargers, including ebay. Question is - Are these online companies who sell the turbochargers OK to use, and will a dealership typically install a part they do not provide. I won't be able to get the answer froom them until Monday when the service department reopens so any insight will help me get going on the repair. Thanks!

Call 800-923-0413 Turbo Charger Pro's. I think the closest to you is Birmingham Al. Call them tomorrow, they might be able to help.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The turbocharger is actually very easy to find. You know that big air intake hose that connects to the box that contains the engine air filter? The other end of the hose connects to the turbocharger right underneath the heat shield.

The part number for the turbo is 5142494AA

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How did it fail?

Did the bearings just give up the it seized or did the seals leak or did it just explode?

I would also check out VW Vortex site and the TDI site to see who services turbos in their vendor's section. There are kits that you can buy to replace the center section of the turbo and they make them for MB products too.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's probably the exhaust gas actuator. It can get corroded and quit working, or even break off. Far as I know, you can't replace just the actuator, and have to replace the whole thing.

EtowahE

Seasoned Expediter
I bought a turbo for my 2006 from these guys, it was in stock and delivered the next day, check with:

Turbo Diesel & Electric Systems, Inc.
231 Main St
Forest Park, GA 30297
404-361-2222
800-241-4389
404-361-1701 (fax)
[email protected]
Turbo Diesel

or,

Turbo Diesel & Electric Systems, Inc.
3806 2nd Ave. South
Birmingham, AL 35222
205-591-3600
800-633-4392
205-592-3344 (fax)
[email protected]
Turbo Diesel

This is a Garrett Turbo, which is a direct replacement for the factory turbo. By the way, they do not sell repair kits for these anymore due to the warranty issues concerning installation.
(plus they get more money for new turbos).
This turbo comes with a new electronic actuator (wastegate) since they will not sell a new turbo without it.
The seals and gaskets do not come with the turbo, they have to be purchased thru the dealer or a parts store, I have sources where I bought mine, contact me if you need these sources also.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Thanks, guys! The technician said that the turbo was trapping the exhaust gases. I didn't pay too close attention cause I was flustered when he told me he couldn't another turbo for two months, but it sounds like what Turtle said. I'll call the folks you recommended Etowah. Thanks again, folks.

EtowahE

Seasoned Expediter
Hey, no problem, glad to help. Also, the best source of info for all things Sprinter that I have found is at: Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum

You can get help from the best experts around about anything related to these vans, and do a search on any problems also. It has been a great help to me.