Tucker Carlson Cancelled - Gone From Fox News

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It also looks like they wouldn’t grandfather current non-compete clauses. They would have 180 days to comply. That’s if the rule is implemented.
IMG_3026.png

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It also looks like they wouldn’t grandfather current non-compete clauses. They would have 180 days to comply. That’s if the rule is implemented.
View attachment 22434
This is a rule that, if adopted, would directly impact my business and many other businesses. I have not paid close attention to it because it is nowhere near being adopted and a number of changes are likely as the rulemaking process proceeds. I do wonder how this might affect sports contracts. Professional sports players contract with teams. Would this rule turn every professional athlete into a free agent?

That question is a bit off topic, so I need no answer here. Just sharing the professional sports thought.

Another thought is, would there be any provisions in the rule for employees who are paid millions of dollars a year and the special kinds of employment contracts they enter into? The FTC references "the little guy" employees a lot in its discussions. I doubt they are concerned about Tucker Carlson, Tom Brady, and other bigs. It may well be that big-name leagues and entertainers may want non-compete clauses because teams and networks would be willing to pay more for them if they knew the talent will stay.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whatever the timeline of implementation and its parameters, Tucker’s lawyers would likely be looking at this development.
I do think there should be a happy medium with these non- compete clauses. There should be a limited amount of months( 4-6 months?)of not competing( not the length of the existing contract) and the contract payout should be part of a severance package.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whatever the timeline of implementation and its parameters, Tucker’s lawyers would likely be looking at this development.
I do think there should be a happy medium with these non- compete clauses. There should be a limited amount of months( 4-6 months?)of not competing( not the length of the existing contract) and the contract payout should be part of a severance package.
Tucker Carlson is a man of considerable means, and I'm sure his attorneys will not allow him to be silenced and prevented from plying his trade or being blacklisted from his industry - especially for a period lasting through an 18-month presidential election season. BTW, he's scheduled to appear at a non-profit fundraising event in Oxford, AL tomorrow - about an hour east of Birmingham. It will probably be the biggest political event they've ever had.

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Tucker Carlson is a man of considerable means, and I'm sure his attorneys will not allow him to be silenced and prevented from plying his trade or being blacklisted from his industry - especially for a period lasting through an 18-month presidential election season.
I think that will depend almost entirely on the contract he signed with FOX. FOX is an entity of means too in whose interest it is to keep Carlson silent. If the contract permits that, you can be sure they will fight hard to do it. There are unconfirmed reports that Carlson has hired a big-name attorney, Bryan Freedman, who specializes in cases like this. When confirmed, such news would surprise no one.

BTW, he's scheduled to appear at a non-profit fundraising event in Oxford, AL tomorrow - about an hour east of Birmingham. It will probably be the biggest political event they've ever had.

It would be interesting to learn how a small non-profit organization like that landed Carlson as it's speaker and fundraiser. Given the timing of things, that is a grand-slam home run with the runners allowed to run around the bases twice.

As big in the news Tucker is these days, that non-profit should reserve the first five rows of seats for media and charge $10,000 each. They'd likely sell a few if not all of those seats. The people of small-town Oxford (population 22,000) will be amazed to see the dozens of news trucks and crews that arrive to cover this event.

It will also be interesting to see what Carlson says and does not say when he speaks. Many who are politically involved will be waiting eagerly to parse his remarks. Headline news this event will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: danthewolf00

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FOX Ratings As of Wednesday

I am watching the FOX ratings data with interest. Carlson was taken off the air on Monday. Here are the numbers as of Wed: (Source)

------------------------

Carlson’s finale a week ago drew 2.65 million viewers, according to Nielsen. The data shows that Brian Kilmeade’s substitute hosting gig for “Fox News Tonight” saw ratings of 2.59 million on Monday, 1.7 million on Tuesday, and 1.33 million on Wednesday, respectively. Last Wednesday, Carlson drew about 3 million viewers, Nielsen figures show.

But the 9 p.m. Fox News program hosted by Sean Hannity drew about 2.5 million on Monday, 2 million on Tuesday, and 1.7 million on Wednesday night, according to Nielsen. In comparison, Hannity drew about 2.6 million viewers the Wednesday a week before, the ratings show.

Laura Ingraham’s “The Ingraham Angle” drew 2.156 million on Wednesday, April 19. But this past Wednesday, two days after Carlson was confirmed gone, her show drew 1.55 million viewers.

Jesse Watters’ show also saw a decline. For Wednesday, it saw an audience of 1.558 million, but a week prior, it generated 2.1 million. ...

“Gutfeld,” hosted by Greg Gutfeld, was the only Fox News primetime show that actually saw an increase. Last Wednesday, the program drew 1.8 million viewers, but this past Wednesday, it was watched by 2.02 million, according to the figures.
A week later and the 8PM hour for Fox News is still in the dumpster. Monday May 1 was 1.55 and Tues May 2 was 1.47. The rest of prime time not much better.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Interesting... I'm not commenting.

Thanks for fixing, but the NYT still wants me to subscribe to read the article. I got the story from another source since it's a catchy headline quote they pulled without context.

Here's the whole text, and I apologize to all in advance for the length, but I think it's important to have the whole thing to understand the context. Let's keep in mind that this is supposed to be a private conversation between Carlson and person(s) unknown.

The bottom line is that according to this claim from the NY Times that's based on an anonymous source, we're supposed to believe this text from Carlson is the reason he got canned? It sounds like more like mudslinging and disparagement against Carlson while he's down and can't respond. It's also hard to believe this one text would be that damning; it's just conversational. Apparently Fox News was looking for a reason to cancel Carlson, and the timing with the lawsuit settlement is probably not coincidental. Somebody powerful wanted him not only gone, but personally silenced.

Lastly, anyone working for Fox News or any other news organization for that matter should be looking over their shoulder, getting an encrypted messaging service, and communicating only with people they trust implicitly.

"According to the Times, Carlson wrote in the message: "A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living s**t out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It's not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they'd hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it."

He continued: "Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn't good for me. I'm becoming something I don't want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I'm sure I'd hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn't gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don't care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?"

The New York Times reported that the message "alarmed" Fox's board of directors and contributed to the decision to sever ties with the popular host of the primetime show "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

• Love
Reactions: Turtle and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for fixing, but the NYT still wants me to subscribe to read the article. I got the story from another source since it's a catchy headline quote they pulled without context.

Here's the whole text, and I apologize to all in advance for the length, but I think it's important to have the whole thing to understand the context. Let's keep in mind that this is supposed to be a private conversation between Carlson and person(s) unknown.

The bottom line is that according to this claim from the NY Times that's based on an anonymous source, we're supposed to believe this text from Carlson is the reason he got canned? It sounds like more like mudslinging and disparagement against Carlson while he's down and can't respond. It's also hard to believe this one text would be that damning; it's just conversational. Apparently Fox News was looking for a reason to cancel Carlson, and the timing with the lawsuit settlement is probably not coincidental. Somebody powerful wanted him not only gone, but personally silenced.

Lastly, anyone working for Fox News or any other news organization for that matter should be looking over their shoulder, getting an encrypted messaging service, and communicating only with people they trust implicitly.

"According to the Times, Carlson wrote in the message: "A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living s**t out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It's not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they'd hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it."

He continued: "Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn't good for me. I'm becoming something I don't want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I'm sure I'd hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn't gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don't care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?"

The New York Times reported that the message "alarmed" Fox's board of directors and contributed to the decision to sever ties with the popular host of the primetime show "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

Thanks. Context matters

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Tucker offered 100 million to join Digital News Network. I’ve never heard of them, but the offers keep coming.
The more the Tucker leakers leak the more popular Tucker gets.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The bottom line is that according to this claim from the NY Times that's based on an anonymous source, we're supposed to believe this text from Carlson is the reason he got canned?
They would like you to believe that, yes. But as you say, it comes from an anonymous source. I generally ignore such pieces. Sometimes these anonymous source articles prove to be true, but far too much of "news" reporting is anonymous source based which cannot be objectively verified.

Regarding the reason Carlson was sidelined or fired, I have not kept count but I think I've heard about a dozen so far. I'm not going to repeat them here because no one knows for sure. That truth may never come out. The only two who can legitimately confirm the reason are Carlson and FOX, and they're not telling.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sounds like Tucker enjoyed his trip to Alabama.
From the article you posted:

"Carlson gave a long, genial monologue that only tangentially touched on politics and focused more on dogs, family and highlighting the work of people who help people."

As I said above, it would be interesting to learn what Carlson says and does not say at this event. I notice he did not say a word about politics, or his future, or the reasons for his firing, or other such things people are eager to hear. That tells me a non-compete/non-disparagement clause is in his FOX contract and it remains very much in full force and effect.

It also tells me Carlson is choosing to abide by the agreement, at least for now, rather than incur the consequences of violating it to take another job or speak out on the topics people are eager to hear him speak about. In other words, For now at least, FOX has Carlson pretty much gagged.

Finally, yes, it does indeed seem he enjoyed himself at this event.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From the article you posted:

"Carlson gave a long, genial monologue that only tangentially touched on politics and focused more on dogs, family and highlighting the work of people who help people."

As I said above, it would be interesting to learn what Carlson says and does not say at this event. I notice he did not say a word about politics, or his future, or the reasons for his firing, or other such things people are eager to hear. That tells me a non-compete/non-disparagement clause is in his FOX contract and it remains very much in full force and effect.

It also tells me Carlson is choosing to abide by the agreement, at least for now, rather than incur the consequences of violating it to take another job or speak out on the topics people are eager to hear him speak about. In other words, For now at least, FOX has Carlson pretty much gagged.
So far Carlson is honoring the terms of his contract - not a word from him about Fox or anyone who works there. However, one has to wonder if Fox is bound by the same non-disparagement clauses. They've obviously mounted a leaking campaign of texts, quotes, and off-camera video clips that are meant to make Carlson look bad and intentionally damage his brand and any value he might have to another network or a venue of his own that he might want to start up. Does this constitute a breach of contract on their part? Only the lawyers familiar with the contract would know, but this smear campaign doesn't seem to be doing Fox News any good; the 8pm slot is still in the dumpster after two weeks, and their prime time ratings as a whole are down. Meanwhile, Tucker Carlson's value is rising and Newsmax, as an example, is mounting an all-out effort to bring him into their fold - seemingly at any price.