Tucker Carlson Cancelled - Gone From Fox News

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
He”ll be back after the summer.
Some minor obstacles…
“Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;”

View attachment 22515
Ahhh the scorned news network......the ex that took everything but the paycheck.

Reactions: Pilgrim and muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The question that goes hand in glove with this one is "where have the Fox News viewers gone"? Since cancelling Tucker, about half of them have left and show no signs of coming back. It's even worse among the key 25-54 age group, which is down 62%. Maybe they'll bring in some consultants from Bud Light to turn things around.
As I said above, this is a double win for critics of Carlson and FOX News. Carlson is off the air. FOX News ratings have cratered.

The question you ask is an interesting one. I'm not sure anyone knows the answer. If the reports are accurate, FOX has indeed lost a large number of viewers, but an equivalent number of viewers has not appeared at another channel or combination of channels.

I don't know much about how TV ratings are determined. Another question that might be asked is, "If FOX has lost millions of viewers, and most of them cannot be traced to another channel or combination of channels, did those viewers actually exist in the first place? In other words, how accurate are the TV ratings and how useful are they in following viewers from one channel to another, or from one outlet to another?

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or perhaps those viewers found Fox an adequate solution as in there isn't an excellent news source anywhere any more but Fox is the least garbage of all the garbage out there and when this happened they just said the heck with it and stopped watching anything at all. We don't watch any televised news providers. What's the point considering on the 0-10 scale they all score less than a 5. So they may just be reading their Kindle instead of watching any of the unacceptable choices.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I said above, this is a double win for critics of Carlson and FOX News. Carlson is off the air. FOX News ratings have cratered.

The question you ask is an interesting one. I'm not sure anyone knows the answer. If the reports are accurate, FOX has indeed lost a large number of viewers, but an equivalent number of viewers has not appeared at another channel or combination of channels.

I don't know much about how TV ratings are determined. Another question that might be asked is, "If FOX has lost millions of viewers, and most of them cannot be traced to another channel or combination of channels, did those viewers actually exist in the first place? In other words, how accurate are the TV ratings and how useful are they in following viewers from one channel to another, or from one outlet to another?
There is plenty of outlets that conservatives can go to other than Fox News. And not necessarily on cable either. Streaming on the internet through their Roku or from an App on their phone. Many options available.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or perhaps those viewers found Fox an adequate solution as in there isn't an excellent news source anywhere any more but Fox is the least garbage of all the garbage out there and when this happened they just said the heck with it and stopped watching anything at all. We don't watch any televised news providers. What's the point considering on the 0-10 scale they all score less than a 5. So they may just be reading their Kindle instead of watching any of the unacceptable choices.
Multiple podcasts to listen or watch instead too.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That assumes their only other choice is TV, which isn't the case any more. Some have gone to Newsmax, but it's likely others have discovered podcasts or gone to talk radio. In any case, they're not going back to Fox News prime time. I read that Hannity's town Hall with Trump drew 500K fewer viewers than CNN's.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Or perhaps those viewers found Fox an adequate solution as in there isn't an excellent news source anywhere any more but Fox is the least garbage of all the garbage out there and when this happened they just said the heck with it and stopped watching anything at all.
That may well be.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is plenty of outlets that conservatives can go to other than Fox News. And not necessarily on cable either. Streaming on the internet through their Roku or from an App on their phone. Many options available.
Creating a fragmented market. Lots of little players fighting over lots of little segments.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Creating a fragmented market. Lots of little players fighting over lots of little segments.
It’s a lot better than propping up Fox News. They’re not MAGA and undermine them too much. Cables dying anyway.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Expect the Pooh Poohing it to commence.
Views is one thing. Followers is the more telling number, and bots must be factored in. See context info below.

I was surprised to see Carlson show up on Twitter do do a 10 minute show. No one is saying much about his motive for doing so. My guess, and it is only a guess, is it was a shot across FOX's bow intended to trigger a lawsuit filed by FOX. That gets the issue in court and simultaneously casts FOX as the bad-guy suppressor of free speech. That's my guess, but I have nothing to go on but this guess.

There is no regularly scheduled show. No word when or if Carlson will reappear. I'm staying tuned to see what develops. That brief shot may be brief so as to keep any damages claim asserted by FOX to a minimum. Carlson could reasonably argue that his 10 minute cameo on Twitter had no impact on FOX's ratings, thus the damages would be zero or small.

Again, this is all a guess on my part. It is not a strongly held opinion, and not one I am prepared to defend, since it's pure speculation.

Context:

From Google's AI app Bard: "According to a study by SparkToro, a social media analytics company, approximately 20% of Tucker Carlson's Twitter followers are bots. This means that out of his 7,780,396 followers, approximately 1,556,079 are likely not real users."

If that is accurate, it's fair to say Carlson has about 6.2 million Twitter followers."

"According to a study by SparkToro, a social media analytics company, approximately 10% of Barack Obama's Twitter followers are bots. This means that out of his 131.8 million followers, approximately 13.18 million are likely not real users."

"As of June 7, 2023, Joe Biden has 22.2 million followers on Twitter. According to a study by SparkToro, a social media analytics company, approximately 47% of Joe Biden's Twitter followers are bots. This means that out of his 22.2 million followers, approximately 10.43 million are likely not real users."

"As of June 7, 2023, Hillary Clinton has 32.7 million followers on Twitter. According to a study by SparkToro, a social media analytics company, approximately 26% of Hillary Clinton's Twitter followers are bots. This means that out of her 32.7 million followers, approximately 8.52 million are likely not real users."

"As of June 7, 2023, Sean Hannity has 3.2 million Twitter followers. According to a study by SparkToro, a social media analytics company, 22.2% of Hannity's followers are bots. This means that there are approximately 714,400 bots following Hannity on Twitter."

"Rachel Maddow has over 13.7 million followers on Twitter. According to a report by Bot Sentinel, a company that tracks bots on social media, up to 25% of Maddow's followers are bots. This means that there are potentially over 3.4 million bot accounts following Maddow on Twitter."

--------------------

When Carlson was on FOX, his audience size was about 3.2 million.

How does a personality's TV audience compare to one's Twitter followers?

Trevor Noah's TV audience size is 3.3 million, about the same size as Carlson's.

"As of June 8, 2023, Trevor Noah has 33.2 million followers on Twitter. According to a study by SparkToro, a social media analytics company, approximately 13% of Trevor Noah's Twitter followers are bots. This means that out of his 33.2 million followers, approximately 4.316 million are likely not real users."

While their TV audiences are roughly the same size, adjusted for bots, Carlson has 6.2 million Twitter followers. Noah has 29 million Twitter followers.
-----------------------

Regarding Show Views (not followers):

1. The Super Bowl LVII halftime show (February 12, 2023) - 111.3 million views
  2. Elon Musk's tweet about buying Twitter (October 27, 2022) - 105.2 million views
  3. BTS's tweet about winning the Grammy Award for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (March 15, 2023) - 94.2 million views
  4. The announcement of the death of Chadwick Boseman (August 28, 2020) - 89.2 million views
  5. The announcement of the death of Kobe Bryant (January 26, 2020) - 86.6 million views
  6. BTS's tweet about winning the American Music Award for Top Social Artist (November 22, 2022) - 85.4 million views
  7. The announcement of the death of Stan Lee (November 12, 2018) - 83.8 million views
  8. Elon Musk's tweet about becoming the richest person in the world (January 21, 2021) - 82.2 million views
  9. The announcement of the death of George Floyd (May 25, 2020) - 81.6 million views
  10. The announcement of the death of Breonna Taylor (March 13, 2020) - 81.0 million views

Carlson's Twitter numbers are not insignificant. But in context, they are not earth-shaking either.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I didn’t even know he would be posting a video. It wasn’t at the 8 pm time slot either. But regardless, Tucker is just posting his thoughts publicly.He’s not getting paid for it.
He’s not allowed to talk publicly? That doesn’t sound right.
IMG_3288.jpeg

Reactions: danthewolf00

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I didn’t even know he would be posting a video. It wasn’t at the 8 pm time slot either. But regardless, Tucker is just posting his thoughts publicly.He’s not getting paid for it.
He’s not allowed to talk publicly? That doesn’t sound right.
It sounds right if he entered into a contract that prohibits him from doing it. And he did exactly that, voluntarily and knowingly.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Did what?
Violated the terms of his contract. When he entered into that contract, he intentionally and knowingly waived some of his free-speech rights. It's not a violation of your rights when you voluntarily waive your rights. It is a violation of your contract when you violate your contract.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Violated the terms of his contract. When he entered into that contract, he intentionally and knowingly waived some of his free-speech rights. It's not a violation of your rights when you voluntarily waive your rights. It is a violation of your contract when you violate your contract.
It wasn’t a violation of his contract.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A few random thoughts after Carlson's recent debut episode on Twitter:
  • Tucker's lawyers claimed early on that Fox breached the contract when they leaked his private conversations and videos in an effort to defame him and tarnish his image. Notice how quickly those leaks stopped after that legal notice was given to them. If his legal team is right, the contract is void.
  • If the above assumption is correct, Carlson has laid down the gauntlet with Fox by producing the short video production on Twitter. Let's see if Fox tries to get an injunction to stop these productions. It will be interesting to see if they can restrict his 1st amendment rights.
  • As of noon today, Tucker has 8.1M Twitter followers. Episode 1 has 73K replies, 255K retweets, 820K likes and 104M views. That's pretty remarkable considering his fans and viewers are conservatives - many of whom likely haven't been active on Twitter for years or even had Twitter accounts at all. Even after the Musk takeover, Twitter is still an online haven for liberals. These numbers would suggest that Carlson is bringing his conservative fans to the site, if for no other reason than to follow him. At this point it's not fair to compare his numbers to liberals like Rachel Maddow who've been on Twitter for years.
  • Given the success of Episode 1, it will be interesting to see how soon it takes for Episode 2 to go up, and if it's more extensive in content.