Trump: Chalk and Awe (Free Speech on Campus)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Political correctness is now a caricature of itself.

Graduates of the Class of 2016 are leaving behind campuses that have become petri dishes of extreme political correctness and heading out into a world without trigger warnings, safe spaces and free speech zones, with no rules forbidding offensive verbal conduct or microaggressions, and where the names of cruel, rapacious capitalists are embossed in brass and granite on buildings across the land. Baby seals during the Canadian hunting season may have a better chance of survival.

"As college campuses have become bastions of rigorously enforced political correctness, the limits on speech have come crashing down in the real world, with the presumptive Republican nominee for president dishing out macroaggressions on a daily basis."

That's why some people on college campus are genuinely afraid when they here Trump speak, or even hear the word "Trump" spoken. Students scrawled "Trump" and some of his slogans in chalk on sidewalks at DePaul, including “Don’t feel the Bern,” and university administrators had janitorial staff wash off the "Don't" part and leave behind just the "feel the Bern" part. Huh? Yup.

The chalked phrase "All Lives Matter" was obliterated, because it invokes thoughts of "Black Lives Matter" which invokes feelings of anxiety and fear.

Unwanted, uncomfortable or disagreeable free speech is now being framed within the constraints of "verbal conduct." Free speech cannot be censored, per se, but your conduct sure can. So if you say something bad, it's not what you said that's the problem, it's the conduct of saying it that's on trial now. And the trial consists of a Star Chamber of judge, jury and executioner without due process.

The cover story of Newsweek which is due to hit the newsstands on June 3 is “The Battle Against ‘Hate Speech’ on College Campuses Is Harboring a Generation That Hates Speech.” It's a comprehensive story, relatively lengthy, but boy is it a good one. As Newsweek's Editor in Chief Jim Impoco put it, this article shows how colleges fail students in the Age of Trump.

It's hard to fathom that today's college students are just one generation removed from the Berkeley Free Speech Movement of the 60s. My, oh my, has the pendulum ever swung. Wow. But it's gotten so bad that even liberal progressives in academia are starting to push back, if you can believe that.

A Dartmouth fraternity tradition of holding a “Phiesta” on Cinco de Mayo was canceled recently because the made-up word was deemed a “cultural appropriation.”

The Vagina Monologues, can no longer be performed at Mount Holyoke College, one of the nation’s oldest and prestigious women’s colleges, because it was deemed, mostly by students but also by faculty, as being offensive to "women without vaginas." (I'd like to say that I got through that without laughing, but I can't).

The article is a really, really good read.

And once you get to the end of it, you'll realize the article is nearly a perfect playbook for "How to piss off today's young people." Then again, just follow Trump's lead. Same thing. :D

Political science graduates from Modesto Junior College might have shied away from touching a copy of the U.S. Constitution in public, since a security guard stopped one of them from handing it out because he was not inside a 25-square-foot piece of concrete 30 yards away from the nearest walkway designated as the “free speech zone”—a space that needed to be booked 30 days in advance.

“What we are seeing is not just phobias about language,” Kaminer says. “We have gone way beyond political correctness and are seeing a real decline in critical thinking. If you don't know the difference between quoting a word and hurling an epithet, then you don’t know how to think.”

I know it's an old cliché, that children are the future. But they are. And they're our future leaders. And the rest of us are just laying in fox holes, praying.

Reactions: Grizzly

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is all crap already......
If ya got a schmeckl... use the mens room.... if ya got an uni, use the women's room......simple concept, IMO.
Well, why simplify the complicated?
Even with a schmeckl today I feel like a woman so I'm going to use the women's room. The fact that a gorgeous young woman just walked in there has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Y'all don't forget to make the ladies feel at home. Pee in the sink, at least you won't need to remove the dishes first.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
God wasn't confused when creating your gender. The only confusion is amongst people.
If people understood each one of us is created intentionally, not by accident, it might clear things up a bit.

upload_2016-6-5_22-18-51.jpeg

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Note, many, not all, but many cannot write in cursive.....wow,,and tuition was only 40k a year Mom....what a deal..
Ok, I'm old now................give me a high 5 for the kids born in the 40's.......