Truckers Driving Thru Michigan Beware

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Was driving south on I-75 early this morning,and got pulled into the weigh station in Monroe for a full inspection.They even gave me a breath test.
The state trooper informed me that our ILLUSTRIOUS GOVERNOR
QUEEN JENNIFER (ITS NOT YOUR MONEY ITS MINE)GRANHOLM has issued a decree that all trucks will be inspected in the following weeks.
So make sure your I's are dotted and your T's are crossed.
When i asked the trooper how much time i should put on my log book
for the DOT inspection he became irate and said we are not the DOT
this is a State Police Inspection.I guess those two seperate
agencies are not getting along.
Oh well DRIVE SAFELY,AND BE CAREFUL IN MICHIGAN.

Whitewolf 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD

:p :p :p :p :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Was driving south on I-75 early this morning,and got pulled
>into the weigh station in Monroe for a full inspection.They
>even gave me a breath test.
>The state trooper informed me that our ILLUSTRIOUS GOVERNOR
>QUEEN JENNIFER (ITS NOT YOUR MONEY ITS MINE)GRANHOLM has
>issued a decree that all trucks will be inspected in the
>following weeks.
>So make sure your I's are dotted and your T's are crossed.
>When i asked the trooper how much time i should put on my
>log book
>for the DOT inspection he became irate and said we are not
>the DOT
>this is a State Police Inspection.I guess those two seperate
>agencies are not getting along.
>Oh well DRIVE SAFELY,AND BE CAREFUL IN MICHIGAN.

Is this why some select troopers have been getting "special" training to increase revenue? Granholm's orders!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds like some are not happy with the concept of revenue sharing.

Davekc

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Michigan the DOT are State Police. Maybe he was irrate because you asked the question in the first place. Obviously, the answer is to log how long you were there.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
And if stopped in KY , DO NOT refer to Vehicle Enforcement officers as DOT - whole different organization.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
in michigan there is a secion of the state police that is called carrier enforcement. these people are the ones with the portable scales and do most inspecitons. Generaly MSP trooper does not do this work but many are being trained to do so to increase revenue as per governors orders.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Okay okay but why do they have the plastic sign bolted to the hoods of all their cars that read ....police.....??

Is that so when they are coming along side that you see the fender that says trooper and wonder....hmmm what kind of trooper? Para? Storm? Pooper?...oh wait theres a plexi-glass sign on the hood...police..hmmm..okay I'll stop

dukesadog

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Okay okay but why do they have the plastic sign bolted to
>the hoods of all their cars that read ....police.....??
>
>Is that so when they are coming along side that you see the
>fender that says trooper and wonder....hmmm what kind of
>trooper? Para? Storm? Pooper?...oh wait theres a plexi-glass
>sign on the hood...police..hmmm..okay I'll stop

Ok that is a good point, why the sign? I mean the state can save a few bucks by not putting that sign on the car, seeing we are in a savings mood here (NOT).

But I understood that it is tradition, just like (I think, correct me if I am wrong) Georgia Troopers still have the Sam Brown belt and large hat that they are required to wear or the Hawaiian troopers with the grass skirt and a head dress, yes I am kidding but hey Hawaii is going native anyways.

Seriously I can’t tell you how much I appreciate seeing any LEO on the road and as much as many hate me for saying this I wish there were more of them on the road.

Oh yea, I was in Canada the other day going toward Toronto and what did I pass, a car with Hawaiian plates on it. They pulled into the Tim Hortons behind me and got out in Hawaiian shirts and ran into the building. Too funny!

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Well "dukes-a", if you really want to know, Greg is right, that goofy sign is indeed a hard-lost tradition as is a lot of quirky stuff with State Police agencies.

A LONG TIME AGO I was checking out the academy library for materials on pursuit and I found a 1940's circa instruction manual written by then - the leader in the field, the Michigan State Police - that had the specs necessary for a properly outfitted patrol car.

The sign was mounted on the old hugh hoods, and was actually lit when desired by the trooper. He wouldn't have to get your attention and make flailing arm gestures to get you to pull over (as you flail a few gestures at him); he kept both hands on the wheel and got even with you. Then with a floor mounted switch (like the old high beam) he flicked on the sign and you were expected to know to pull over.

They never got rid of the signs, it's MSP tradition. Just like the single beacon, no lightbars for these guys.

Oh, one other thing spec'd in the old cruisers - they had to have a left front fender with bracing to properly support a 28 pound siren mounted on top of it. Thank God for micro-electronics!

Not that you wanted all that info, but some of the 'old guard' traditions can be fascinating and interesting. Just thought I'd pass-on that tid-bit.

The Gibster

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Welcome to Michigan)The state where our Government miss manages our tax dollars only to make it up by harassing truck drivers trying to do their job, or motorests trying to drive home after 11:00PM only to trailed by our local & State Police hopying & praying they can pull you over for drunk driving! Try to get the same level of service if you have a criminal complaint, dispute etc. Half the time the dispatchers will try and down play your problem right up to the officer will call you later in their shift instead of stoppying over to (serve & Protect) as they advertise.x( x( x( x(

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have to agree, but as I listened to Paul W Smith on Rush’s show today, it struck me that here is an international show and what does Paul W talk about in the third hour, GM and even interviews Rick Wagoner. As in the Paul W style, he hits Mr. Wagoner with very soft questions (actually it sounded rehearsed) and than goes on telling the audience that they must save GM, buy GM. This is the problem with everyone in the media in the south east Michigan area; they think that Michigan is the center of the world and that there is still a big three.

I may have missed the part where Paul W asked Mr. Wagoner why is GM laying off so many here but in India that are expanding production, hiring more engineers and even hiring 200 more researchers to expand over there. I may have missed the part where Paul W asked Mr. Wagoner why don’t they produce a product that people will want to buy or why they don’t strengthen their dealers to be more customer friendly. I missed all of that.

See most of you who live outside in the real world don’t hear this crap that many of us have to. I have yet heard an interview, especially with Paul W, where our governor is asked why she pushed spending $250M on road improvements to areas that don’t need it for the super bowl, millions for laptops for kids instead of books and now approved moving up the schedule for all kind of road repairs and expansions and building subsidies when the state is bleeding to death. No one has demanded an answer why she is blocking the elimination of the SBT or why doesn’t she resign for the mess she has caused.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paul W. definately has that Larry King style. Why would you ask a guest a pointed question when it's so much easier to ask them what their favorite color is? Well, they gotta make a living too.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
I thought it was cool though how Grandholm said she wouldnt buy any products from any company that moved from Michigan to China/Can/Mex for the State Govt.

I bet thats why all the dead deer are still laying around...that shovel company moved to mexico.

dukesadog