Truck Washes

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I use Blue Beacons. They seem to be consistant from one location to the next. Basic wash runs $38.50 for my 10 wheeler.

Rex

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I wash my own most of the time but I am home more than most of you. I also use high bay self washes as well. Takes a lot of quarters but I do it myself.

I also reco a product called TR-3 resin glaze. You can spray the truck down and hand wash or whatever. When it is dry use the TR-3 and it brings the paint back to new look and it protects so for next was everything easily rinses off. You just wipe this stuff on, well rub it it on, not like waxing, much easier. Let it haze then wipe off. If you use a cotton cloth you buff it up to a fantastic shine.

I also reco a spray bottle of Krud Kutter. This stuff is great on any painted surface. Again it takes no hard rubbing or buffing just spray and wipe. I clean my box down with it every couple months.

When I do get it washed, I use Franklin truck wash at exit 36 off I75 in Franklin, Ohio. It is about a quarter mile east of pilot on oppisite side of of road. It is not well marked. Just two blue bays. They always complain about doing the box but once I talk em into it, they do a geat job. They have wheel covers so as not to get acid on your wheels if you ask. If you so choose to use acid. If you clean the truck with that TR-3 you will never think of acid again.

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe I missed something when I went to training at Dupont, but Acid anything on the paint finish does a lot of damage. Right?

Well I know that the former owner of this rucked mentioned that he had the acid wash done once a year and that the finish is rather poor looking by my standards but do you mean that this is the 'only' way that places like Beacon will wash your truck?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We get the van washed quite often and my preference for washes at the chains is Truck-o-Mat. Goog job for $12.50 - $15.00. The wash at the intersection opposite the Flying J at exit 4 in Indy has done a great job and so has the new wash opposite the Flying J in Knoxville. The best washes ever was at the wash across the street from the Flying J in Albuquerque. We've used them on tree occasions and they were great; they even included the engine in the wash price at $15.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>Maybe I missed something when I went to training at Dupont,
>but Acid anything on the paint finish does a lot of damage.
>Right?
>
>Well I know that the former owner of this rucked mentioned
>that he had the acid wash done once a year and that the
>finish is rather poor looking by my standards but do you
>mean that this is the 'only' way that places like Beacon
>will wash your truck?

Blue Beacon's acid wash is called "brightener". You have to ask that it be used during the wash process for aluminum stuff like wheels, tanks and cargo box trim. Some of the locations have a citrus based (kinder, gentler??) brightener they offer, but I seem to remember it costs extra. Regular brightener is no cost.

Some aluminum things, like Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels and the diamond plate cover on my APU have a surface finish that brightener will attack. They will put covers over those things during the wash, but you have to tell them to do so. Also, any aluminum that you have had polished will be dulled somewhat if brightener is used.

My '99 International has clear coat paint and it's in real good condition, and I have them "brighten" my wheels and tanks at every wash. Freightliner didn't seem to use clear coat, which I think gave birth to the tired truckers saying: "I'm fading faster than a Freightliner paintjob!"

What's a "rucked"???????????????

Rex

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
South west corner of exit 99 on I-75 Ohio. They even wash the top of the sleeper. ( the part you can not see). Don't go in if in a hurry. They have one Bay, and they take 45 minutes.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>Best places to get your straight truck washed?

Normally we get through home base regularly so we drop by the garage where we have inside washing facilities.

For those times when it gets filthy when on the road we carry a pressure washer to clean the worst off and make it presentable again.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Two locations Terry mentions are on our list of good wash places too: Truck-o-Mat (most any of them) and the new wash opposite the Flying J in Knoxville. We've also had great work done at:

Phoenix: Danny's Big Rig Resort across the street from the Flying J.

Kingman, AZ: Freedom Truck Wash, I-40, westbound side, on top of the hill before you reach Kingman, next to Love's.

Albert Lea, MN: TA, Exit 11, I-35, near the I-35 and I-90 interchange.

Little Sisters truck washes, any of them.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I wash mine myself more than having it done. As for Acid, if used correctly it is safe for the paint. Now alum screws and nuts, it will rust them over time anything else it will not harm the finish on these trucks.

Dillute 1 part acid to 8-10 parts water. Everything from bugs to smoke build up gone in one wipe. IMPORTANT RINSE IMM.... or better yet I pay my daughter to come with me and hold the hose as I wash.
Never use this in direct sunlight.

Blue Becon for $32.50 best value I have found and I am usually happy with the work, more so than some other more expensive truck wash's. If you can do not wash your truck during the day time hours, the sun heats the sides up and when they pre-soak the saop has dried and you can see the streaks down the side when it dries, at night no worrying about this.

PS I usually tip $5.00