truck size question

Lisa2162

Active Expediter
Hello everyone,

I got a question about overall straight truck length. My name is Lisa and I ordered a freightliner truck. I am not gonna name the dealer, but to make a long story short, after waiting 10 months for our truck, my husband found out after measuring the truck that it was 40'5" in length.
Now, the dealer is telling me that, every DR truck out there is over the 40' and that this is not a big deal. The truck that I ordered is a Cascadia with a 120" sleeper and a 20' box. At this point we are thinking about walking away and starting over. Please, let us know what you think about us taking delivery of a oversize truck.
Thanks,

Lisa

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Hello everyone,

I got a question about overall straight truck length. My name is Lisa and I ordered a freightliner truck. I am not gonna name the dealer, but to make a long story short, after waiting 10 months for our truck, my husband found out after measuring the truck that it was 40'5" in length.
Now, the dealer is telling me that, every DR truck out there is over the 40' and that this is not a big deal. The truck that I ordered is a Cascadia with a 120" sleeper and a 20' box. At this point we are thinking about walking away and starting over. Please, let us know what you think about us taking delivery of a oversize truck.
Thanks,

Lisa

You all joined in 2011 and you have one post....there are a lot of straight trucks folks in here,,maybe you should have ask them questions, by now you hopefully have a ton of responses in your PM's..just saying.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
40 Ft overall length is the legal limit ... Of course the dealer is going to try and down-play the problem. For sure there are some ( certainly not all as the dealer is suggesting ) modestly over-length straights running around out there. Odds are you'll get snagged at some point, that condo is going to draw attention. Really tough call, but, given the investment you're making the truck should be 100% in my opinion.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would not be inclined to listen to a dealer. That is kind of like taking the word of an Army recruiter. 40' is it. Our's is 40'. Best to remain legal in my opinion.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
OAL is 40' in most places.
You are allowed leeway, I believe, on the width for Safety devices. Don't know if you can get leeway on length.

Tough call.

The most trucks are over doesn't help if you're sitting at a scale, busted.

Is there any way to get it under 40' (at dealer expense,of course ?)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
20' Box ?
That would probably make it a C unit.

Last week I had to go 5 48" pallets deep to fit the load.
A hard task for most DR's.

Lisa2162

Active Expediter
OAL is 40' in most places.
You are allowed leeway, I believe, on the width for Safety devices. Don't know if you can get leeway on length.

Tough call.

The most trucks are over doesn't help if you're sitting at a scale, busted.

Is there any way to get it under 40' (at dealer expense,of course ?)

Yes, he offered to cut the box 6" but we did refuse it, because we don't want a brand new box cut up. He has apologized for the mistake, my husband question him about the box size right from the beginning and he assured us it was going to work, if we knew it wasn't, we would have order it differently.. Like you said, it is a tough call.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
From the FMCSA rules.

States must allow certain devices to extend beyond the 2.6 m (102-inch) width limit of CMVs on the NN and reasonable access routes. These include rear-view mirrors, turn signal lamps, handholds for cab entry/egress, splash and spray suppressant devices, and load-induced tire bulge. Also excluded are non-property carrying devices that do not extend more than 3 inches beyond each side of the vehicle.

Devices excluded from the measurement of the length include 1) those needed for loading or unloading that do not extend more than 24 inches beyond the rear of the vehicle; 2) resilient bumpers that do not extend more than 6 inches beyond the front or rear of the vehicles; 3) aerodynamic devices that do not extend more than 5 feet beyond the rear of the vehicle, provided they do not have the strength, rigidity, or mass to damage a vehicle or injure a passenger in a vehicle that strikes a trailer so equipped from the rear, and do not obscure tail lamps, turn signals, marker lamps, identification lamps, or any other required safety devices, such as hazardous materials placards or conspicuity markings; and 4) non-property carrying devices that do not extend more than 3 inches beyond the rear of the vehicle. All devices at the front of a semitrailer or trailer are excluded from the measurement of length. Tarping systems for open top trailers or semitrailers are excluded provided no part of the system extends more than 3 inches from the sides or back of the vehicle. For more details on these exclusions, see 23 CFR 658.16 and appendix D to 23 CFR 658.

Here is a link.
Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA

Lisa2162

Active Expediter
40 Ft overall length is the legal limit ... Of course the dealer is going to try and down-play the problem. For sure there are some ( certainly not all as the dealer is suggesting ) modestly over-length straights running around out there. Odds are you'll get snagged at some point, that condo is going to draw attention. Really tough call, but, given the investment you're making the truck should be 100% in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I think that you're absolutely right and that's exactly the way I feel. For the size investment I'm making I should be getting a legal truck.

Reactions: Jr1980

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Lisa,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have to say - it is a recurring issue.

There are many truck dealers who gladly will accept the business - but have little or no knowledge as to what expediters need for their business.

I have said this many times over the years and this situation is a good example....buy from dealers who KNOW what expediting is, if you don't it can be costly in the long run.

These dealers have a good working knowledge of what expedite trucking is and what equipment will work best for you:

Expedite Trucks For Sale

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would go over it with a fine tooth comb to see if you can find the 5" you need exempted from the measurement.
If you ordered a Carrier TCU I'd check with my carrier to see if they take it.
No way I would shorten the box.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Cutting the deck plate is about I you can do. I wouldn't cut the box. If that can't be made to work, I think I would pass. Unfortunate situation but have to agree with the others, you are on the hook if sign on the dotted line on truck that isn't legal.
Remember, business person first, driver second.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They may rebuild/remount a new box. I see no problem doing this. Unless it would be too weird because of the way the liftgate is mounted.
Realistically, the dealer will probably just sell it to someone who can't read a ruler.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
You could redo all the cab/sleeper mounts to hard rubber and directly bolted to the truck frame and eliminate the gaps between the cab/sleeper/box. Should get you the space you need. I would recommend putting in an airbag front end though.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd re-order before I eliminated air ride.
Even Phil's truck came in wrong and he re-ordered it and got it right.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Nobody has asked, are you measuring to the end of the box or end of the bump stops ? Did I miss where the OP said it had a liftgate ?