Truck shopping !

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello new to the forum here. My name is Alex and I’m excited to be apart a community that has a wealth of information. Now I’m looking for a box truck / straight truck . I’m honestly looking for a 26 ft class 6 non CDL 2015 & up for local hot shots with in a 300-400 mile radius , airport runs , and moving general freight. I need a dependable truck to execute my day to day task. I’m down to Hino 268a , Freightliner M2 with 6.7 Cummins motor or international with 6.7 Cummins motor. Upon research I saw the DPF , diesel exhaust fluid system is a big deal and cause a lot of issues. This is my first truck so i want to make a solid purchase. Rentals kills profit and leaves little room to make a dollar due to the cost associated with rentals . Please help me I’ll grately appreciate info.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My brother in law bought probably what you’re looking for from Ryder Truck Sales a year or two ago.
Lots of reasons to buy from Ryder. They’re selling it because it’s time. Not cause it’s problematic or been wrecked.I imagine thier mechanics have as good of a handle on emissions as anyone. They fix stuff right. ( I turned wrenches in a small Ryder Shop near Chicago and was impressed.)
My only advice. Buy an off lease vehicle, not a daily rental.
And they will deal on price.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every truck the guy i drove for bought, was an off lease from Ryder or Penske. Never had a problem.

Reactions: ntimevan

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My brother in law bought probably what you’re looking for from Ryder Truck Sales a year or two ago.
Lots of reasons to buy from Ryder. They’re selling it because it’s time. Not cause it’s problematic or been wrecked.I imagine thier mechanics have as good of a handle on emissions as anyone. They fix stuff right. ( I turned wrenches in a small Ryder Shop near Chicago and was impressed.)

Yes strictly looking for off lease trucks . Thanks for your advice.

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Every truck the guy i drove for bought, was an off lease from Ryder or Penske. Never had a problem.
That’s pretty cool. It’s my first truck and it’s a big deal for me. Currently not in the market to buy brand new as yet or even lease . I really appreciate the info. I’ve been looking high and low on commercial truck traded and on Penske and Ryder website.

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Yes thanks a lot man. Looking for a off lease and I like idea of seeing maintenance history. Just want to make the best decision for this business. A bit nervous but taking my time and researching to make the best decision possible.

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Keep looking, searching and reading till you find what you're looking for. Also check TruckPaper!
Yeah I’ve been reading non stop and looking high and low ! So far I’ve read to get a 2015 and up truck if hino do to the DPF systems was improved. I didn’t read much on Freightliner M2 106 as yet .

Reactions: DollarSign

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Sometimes hearing the horror stories shakes you up a bit. Get nerves especially when your just about to get your feet wet. :(

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I grately appreciate all advice from the vets. In puts and or pointers always great. I’ve done export to Caribbean and Central America for many years. Dock to dock work with straight trucks in nyc for many years as well as move local freight in the city and trucks state area. Recently relocated to Atlanta Ga . Lots of freight in the region that I would like to part take in.

Reactions: Ragman

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’d suggest talking warranty before negotiating price. Work the warranty into your offer.
Recently someone spoke of doing really well with a Penske warranty on a van. .

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I'm partial to Hino's but Cummins would be my second choice. 2015 Hino's went to a post injection and 7th injector setup and went away from the older more problematic burner setup. They are much more reliable and have less maintenance. Hino has a standard 5 year 250,000 extended engine warranty and a 5 year 100k emissions warranty. They essentially use the same DEF system as most other manufacturers, Bosch Def pump and injector. They are great comfortable trucks. Now full disclosure here, the dealer network has a smaller foot print than some of the other manufacturers. Depending where you are, service may be harder to find than say a Cummins dealer. Do some research and look at the dealer network online. They can be expensive to fix, but all manufactures are at this point. I am a Master Elite Hino tech, ASE Master certified, Mack and Volvo Master certified and have all my Cummins automotive certs. ALL after-treatment systems break and are expensive to fix. I don't care who makes them, they all cost money. If knowing what I know and was in your shoes I would buy a 2004-2007 Hino, from the south or from somewhere out of the rust belt.. When I was in Florida we would get in units with 500-980k miles regularly. You don't see M2's with throwaway ISB Cummins out there with that kind of mileage Cat midrange engines are also throw away blocks. Hino uses Meritor Axles, Spicer drive-lines, and Allison Transmissions FYI. That is stuff any dealer can work on. The engine itself, the J08 has been in production in the US for 15 years with minor modifications to the block. They have essentially been building the same engine for 15 years because it works. Anyways just some food for thought. Good luck.

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I’d suggest talking warranty before negotiating price. Work the warranty into your offer.
Recently someone spoke of doing really well with a Penske warranty on a van. .
Definitely sounds like a great idea. Upon seeking for a truck I do see warranty plans attacked like 100 or 200k miles over 24 months I believe

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I'm partial to Hino's but Cummins would be my second choice. 2015 Hino's went to a post injection and 7th injector setup and went away from the older more problematic burner setup. They are much more reliable and have less maintenance. Hino has a standard 5 year 250,000 extended engine warranty and a 5 year 100k emissions warranty. They essentially use the same DEF system as most other manufacturers, Bosch Def pump and injector. They are great comfortable trucks. Now full disclosure here, the dealer network has a smaller foot print than some of the other manufacturers. Depending where you are, service may be harder to find than say a Cummins dealer. Do some research and look at the dealer network online. They can be expensive to fix, but all manufactures are at this point. I am a Master Elite Hino tech, ASE Master certified, Mack and Volvo Master certified and have all my Cummins automotive certs. ALL after-treatment systems break and are expensive to fix. I don't care who makes them, they all cost money. If knowing what I know and was in your shoes I would buy a 2004-2007 Hino, from the south or from somewhere out of the rust belt.. When I was in Florida we would get in units with 500-980k miles regularly. You don't see M2's with throwaway ISB Cummins out there with that kind of mileage Cat midrange engines are also throw away blocks. Hino uses Meritor Axles, Spicer drive-lines, and Allison Transmissions FYI. That is stuff any dealer can work on. The engine itself, the J08 has been in production in the US for 15 years with minor modifications to the block. They have essentially been building the same engine for 15 years because it works. Anyways just some food for thought. Good luck.
Ok seems fare. Ahh the international with Cummins ISB 6.7 was my next best option driven trucks with it and it’s pretty solid. Also I’m in the south now recently relocated I go back and fort to Florida. Yes aware no truck perfect . Man I need to clown you so I have you close by to service my truck.

guido4475

Not a Member
Even running local freight the extended cab option with a small bed is worth its weight in gold. Makes waiting for the plane coming in so much more tolerable. A short nap can do wonders. I had a FL70 extended cab 24 ft 102x109 box and loved it. The guy I sold it to is still running it. Cummins ISB260 horse, 6 sp, no overdrive, with 3:90 rears. It was a perfect all around truck that would top out at 78 on the highway. Good enough for me.

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Even running local freight the extended cab option with a small bed is worth its weight in gold. Makes waiting for the plane coming in so much more tolerable. A short nap can do wonders. I had a FL70 extended cab 24 ft 102x109 box and loved it. The guy I sold it to is still running it. Cummins ISB260 horse, 6 sp, no overdrive, with 3:90 rears. It was a perfect all around truck that would top out at 78 on the highway. Good enough for me.
Not for nothing that def sounds like a great idea. Naps work wonders for sure. I’ll look to see what’s on market. Still shopping. I came up on a international 2015 Cummins diesel ISB 6.7 with 140k miles from enterprise. What do you think about the 6.7 Cummins motor. ?

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My truck primarily be used for LTL , local pick up and deliveries , hot shots , last mile , ETC . I came up on a international 2015 Cummins ISB 6.7 diesel motor. I believe it has 140-160k !

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
So far in the Atlanta region i see about 2-3 hino dealers , for international u believe it was about the same. I didn’t even check for Freightliner as yet. I kept the international in my option due to this motor being the Cummins motor. I’ve heard good things about them. Personally rented a few and they ran fine. Also did a run from Orlando last year January to Atlanta in and and got a full tank out of one Orlando to Duluth believe 450 miles. To the tank. It was a enterprise rental.