Truck shopping !

guido4475

Not a Member
Even running local freight the extended cab option with a small bed is worth its weight in gold. Makes waiting for the plane coming in so much more tolerable. A short nap can do wonders. I had a FL70 extended cab 24 ft 102x109 box and loved it. The guy I sold it to is still running it. Cummins ISB260 horse, 6 sp, no overdrive, with 3:90 rears. It was a perfect all around truck that would top out at 78 on the highway. Good enough for me.
Not for nothing that def sounds like a great idea. Naps work wonders for sure. I’ll look to see what’s on market. Still shopping. I came up on a international 2015 Cummins diesel ISB 6.7 with 140k miles from enterprise. What do you think about the 6.7 Cummins motor. ?

I never had one. Mine was a 4 valve per cylinder 5.9 ISB. Ran great, no problems. The same with the 8.3 ISC I had. Super dependable, and cheapest of all to fix. Now, keep in mind, that I believe they all are good engines, all makes. Caterpillars are notoriously expensive and not as good on fuel as others. However, I believe as far as emissions systems go, they all have problems regarding that. And I dont think there are any cheap emissions system repairs. Just like a Sprinter engine. Rarely ever hear of a engine itself problem, it's always the emissions system that is s problem.

Reactions: Newkid718

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Take a look at class 7 also. When I got into expediting a long time ago most everyone was buying class 7 trucks at 33k. For about 20% more money you could get a class 8 truck that would last at least 50% longer. Having a truck that's stronger than the max it will ever be tasked lets it get off easy every job and give good service far longer.

Newkid718

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Take a look at class 7 also. When I got into expediting a long time ago most everyone was buying class 7 trucks at 33k. For about 20% more money you could get a class 8 truck that would last at least 50% longer. Having a truck that's stronger than the max it will ever be tasked lets it get off easy every job and give good service far longer.
Valid point but we all have to start from some where and work my way up the ladder.

Reactions: coalminer and Solar

guido4475

Not a Member
Valid point but we all have to start from some where and work my way up the ladder.

A Kenworth or Peterbilt straight is a small version of a class 8, using the same components, cab, etc, as their semi tractor. I loved my T300 KW when I had it. Very durable, well built. High resale value.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The T300 is a class 7 truck I believe. The T660 or whatever it is now is a class 8. They use the same cab but many of the chassis components are lighter duty, similar to comparing an F150 to an F350. I ran Sterling trucks back in the day. I don't remember the model numbers but if you parked the class 7 beside the class 8 they looked identical in appearance but not in size. Everything about the 8 was up a size. If you go up 1 size from what you require you will see a much longer lifespan, maybe twice as long or even longer. Yes, it costs a bit more up front but not nearly as much as buying all over again that much sooner.

guido4475

Not a Member
The T300 is a class 7 truck I believe. The T660 or whatever it is now is a class 8. They use the same cab but many of the chassis components are lighter duty, similar to comparing an F150 to an F350. I ran Sterling trucks back in the day. I don't remember the model numbers but if you parked the class 7 beside the class 8 they looked identical in appearance but not in size. Everything about the 8 was up a size. If you go up 1 size from what you require you will see a much longer lifespan, maybe twice as long or even longer. Yes, it costs a bit more up front but not nearly as much as buying all over again that much sooner.

Yes, the T300 was a class 7, but with class 8 components except the engine, trans, and rears.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yes, the T300 was a class 7, but with class 8 components except the engine, trans, and rears.
Same Radiator ?
Same axles ? Suspension?
Same size frame, crossmembers ?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Usually a class 7 has a smaller cab than its larger sibling. Most class 7's have 110" or 112"BBC length and a class 8 120" BBC. The class 7 despite a smaller engine generally has a doghouse protruding into the cab.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The 112” to 120” is by different hoods on a paccar. Smaller hood and firewall/doghouse.
I once saw a Western Star with an M12 under the hood. Looked pretty funny.
Freightliner uses different cabs and hoods. M2 ( Business Class) /Cascadia.
Volvo doesn’t mess with class 7 in this country. .

guido4475

Not a Member

Same Radiator ?
Same axles ? Suspension?
Same size frame, crossmembers ?

Radiator was obviously smaller for the Cummins ISC engine. Axles, frame, crossmembers, suspension and cab the same as a T-600 or 800. No doghouse protruding into the cab. You dont remember the HDX Kenworth that Jeff Jones set up at Palmer trucks in Fort Wayne? The HDX stood for Heavy Duty Expeditor. He knew how to really set them up. Last I heard, he's at Stoops Freightliner in Fort Wayne. He set up the SST. Dont know if he's still doing that or not. I'm surprised that you dont know any of this...lol

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I drove a T-300 for a few months as I built my Volvo.
It had a Bentz sleeper.
Nothing made me think I should go class 7.
I hauled a lot of class 6 and class 7 GMC.
I would have thought lighter frames. Never paid too much attention, as I never considered class 7.
They make sense, in a single axle, light duty operation.
If you want to add an axle, large sleeper, run thousands of miles per week, buy a truck designed for that. IMHO.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 112” to 120” is by different hoods on a paccar. Smaller hood and firewall/doghouse.
I once saw a Western Star with an M12 under the hood. Looked pretty funny.
Freightliner uses different cabs and hoods. M2 ( Business Class) /Cascadia.
Volvo doesn’t mess with class 7 in this country. .

If they went class 6 I'd be all over that...

djidok

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im a big fan of the old 466s 06 or older international 4300s

i generally pull 8.8 to 9.2 mpg rolling 60 to 65 down the road with just about the tallest box you can get on it without going over height. mpg stays the same no matter if im empty or hauling 10k lbs

djidok

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
you can also find old fords with the 5.9 cummins in them between that and the 466 you wont need to deal with dpf or def