Truck Prices

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is it me, or are used truck prices going up disproportionately to the available freight out there? I"m seeing used trucks priced way above what they were 6 months ago,and fewer starter trucks on the sales sites, including here on EO.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually it looks like another wave of "get in to this before it is too late" thing.

I know tractors are still cheap.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
the newer diesels are more expensive 2007 was the first phase
2010 was 2nd and now there is more clean air crap on the 2011
adds about 6000 onto the price:eek:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Supply and demand. The glut of used trucks on the market has been steadily coming down as trucks are taken out of the market over time and a very limited supply of brand new trucks enters the market.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Supply and demand. The glut of used trucks on the market has been steadily coming down as trucks are taken out of the market over time and a very limited supply of brand new trucks enters the market.

talked to a straight truck driver awhile back, his payment was 3300 a month, thats equal to at least 10 cv payments. U all in straight trks are make n the bigggg buckssss I guess. I couldnt sleep well over that .

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have a different idea what's going on. No one is lending to anyone other than those with superb credit. So trucks are NOT coming off the market at a ridiculous rate. People with trucks sense this, so they jack up the prices figuring what the hell... they're not getting rid of it anyways. You will still find those deals from sellers who are desperate. But the ones who want $30k for a truck with 800k+ miles on it will only get rid of their trucks if they work out a lease-purchase with some poor sucker. So it's nor really a buyer's market. And it's not really a seller's market. It's more of a lender's market; and they're telling everyone to screw off.

mikee

Seasoned Expediter
Funny, being a newbie and doing home work. I had wondered the same thing. I thought there would be better prices and more selection.
I've generally stuck with the 2 categories Cargo/Straight

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
because the new truck prices have gone so high,used prices are also going up. I was just offered 10000 over wholesale for my truck if I would trade it in,not interested in a 2000 month payment at my age,sure social security would make half the payment,but Id have to work another 5 years