Truck GPS options

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I need a truck GPS, I've been using google maps and I didn't notice I went on a non truck route and got a ticket.

The Garmin Del 760 look good but $399 is out of my price range.

I work local in Houston, Tx so I don't need all the fuel tracking bells and whistles.

Also, can I buy a chip or something to get better local info?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
With all the people upgrading to the 760 I would think you could pu a 465 Nuvi for $100 or so.
Good routing, no bells and whistles.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe the t means it has traffic. Lmt means lifetime map and traffic updates

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Xiggi has the right answer.

When Garmin introduced lifetime maps on some units, they differentiated those as "LM" models. They also had units with upgradable maps, they just weren't free updates for life, that were simply "M" models without the "L." The units with integrated traffic were designated as "T" models.

The LMT models are indeed lifetime maps and traffic. The Garmin site has a nice "compare" feature so you can easily see it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Rand McNally TND 510@ $199.99 after rebate at TA now. Free lifetime maps.

Turtle is right on Xiggi being right on the T. Can't get them all right.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
The LMT models are indeed lifetime maps and traffic. The Garmin site has a nice "compare" feature so you can easily see it.

Thanks guys.

I was just checking out the Garmin website Nd it gave me an idea. Are there any iPhone apps that have truck routes? I wouldn't mind spending $30-50 on an app so I can save up and get the 760.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I got the pc miler 450 and love it. It is more accurate than my 465 garmin ever was. I got mine at loves in midlothian tx for about $170.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the Garmin 760. It's ok for a standalone. I have yet to find a single unit that is capable of doing the entire job. SO, I use 3. I have the Garmin, Delorme Street Atlas and go NO WHERE without first checking our route against the big, heavy, old fashioned truck atlas. Using 3 cuts down on mistakes. Our routes are right about 99% of the time. NOTHING, no single unit or multiple units, will ever be 100%. The real world changes to much and too quickly for things to keep up.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I think you will need to have a smartphone device to use for GPS. I don't know if there was a simple device to put on a truck to monitor your location.

He is talking about navigation gps. Our qualcomms monitor our locations though not always a good thing. :)