TriState again

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if our carrier would even honor such a request if it was made.

They do Phil, ask the big wigs there.

There is no potential for corruption, that's laughable. The system isn't perfect but I see the problem would be a concern with dispatch staff.

They will go a little further for a few customers because it is really good business. This also happens in Supply Chain and in Freight often and some of the stuff they do is based on the "One to One" concept that a lot of businesses use to improve their customer service. But of course you know about that, right?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
....These people are personal friends, so I would let them know when I was home and when I wanted to head back out,.............the next load they sent out, they would request me. I got my butt chewed out by Tri-State,......they even told me that if I spoke to these people again that they would cancel my contract....

Well isn't *that* just the cat's meoww?? S'ok to bringem business, but don'tcha be expectin to haul it!

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I had that happen to me ALOT when I was with Tri-State, but on the flip side,Tri-State has a very good (regular) customer that is a few miles from my house,I have done business with them personally for 10 years prior to going to Tri-State. These people are personal friends, so I would let them know when I was home and when I wanted to head back out,.............the next load they sent out, they would request me. I got my butt chewed out by Tri-State,......they even told me that if I spoke to these people again that they would cancel my contract. I just passed that info along to my friends who kindly reminded Tri-State who works for who, and the problem was solved.

I'd tell Tristate " See ya , that customer and I are going to a new carrier .

truckrnnr

Seasoned Expediter
I didn't bring the customer to Tri-State, TS was doing business with this major defence contractor. My company had also been doing business with this company for 10 years prior to me buying a truck and putting it on with TS.

I just thought I would explain a little so others may understand the "sent to the wrong truck" message TS is notable for.

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
How come the customer do not ask from the beginning for a specific truck?...The customer was GE..and I don't think GE is asking for some drivers when they have some freight to move

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
I don't know how I feel about this. Tri State had a customer that was providing freight for their drivers. You come along and because you had a previous relationship with this customer that gives you first pick for their freight? Ahead of somebody that may have been sitting there for days?

Of course the carrier doesn't want to lose the freight so it puts them in a no win situation. They either take the freight and give it to the requested truck or pass it (and possibly future business) up all together.

It seems to me that us drivers are more to blame than the carrier in these situations.

It's fine when it is ME that gets the preferential treatment, but it is wrong when it is somebody else.

That's a poor mentality.

guido4475

Not a Member
awile ago i hauled a load for t-s even though i am not leased to them.when i got to the consignee,we got to talking, and he asked me what i got paid.i kindly told him it was private, and he understood, and i asked why he wanted to know. he brought me in his office and showed me on his computer what they had charged him. the per-mile rate for this load was $2.49 a mile. i about fell over.so i dont believe feel sorry or believe these companies when they say they aren't making any money on a load.isnt it in the truth in leasing regulations where they have to show us the invoice for a load to the customer? i know landstar was always good about that, i knew the total freight bill upon acceptance of a load.where has the honesty and integrity gone?

truckrnnr

Seasoned Expediter
I live in what is a TERRIBLE area for expedited freight,......nobody comes here and sits around waiting for a load, And keep in mind that I would only go home once every 6-8 weeks. I have to split,....just got a 610 mile round trip to Roanoke,VA. and back,loaded both ways.

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Same thing..The customer ask me how much I get paid because they paid 1500 for a 460 mi run...now TS suppose to pay 65% and show us the invoice...and we'll get 75 cpm...exactly..how come all the freight is just 1.16 cpm and we'll get only minimum??

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
awile ago i hauled a load for t-s even though i am not leased to them.when i got to the consignee,we got to talking, and he asked me what i got paid.i kindly told him it was private, and he understood, and i asked why he wanted to know. he brought me in his office and showed me on his computer what they had charged him. the per-mile rate for this load was $2.49 a mile. i about fell over.so i dont believe feel sorry or believe these companies when they say they aren't making any money on a load.isnt it in the truth in leasing regulations where they have to show us the invoice for a load to the customer? i know landstar was always good about that, i knew the total freight bill upon acceptance of a load.where has the honesty and integrity gone?

Remember this, Guido. What the customer is paying isn't always what the carrier is getting paid. You have to take into account 3rd parties who take their share. Yesterday I took a load to Indianapolis, IN and was paid 183.00 and 15.00 fuel surcharge. I talked to a dispatcher and they showed me their share was 25.00.

I have done this often to see for myself. These carriers are often making ten percent or less on these loads. Not always, but often.

ETA: Any time I go in and ask to see the pay they've never hesitated.

Last edited:

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just asking- was that one of the two loads you were offered that week? The lack of work for expeditors in general is a much more important issue...no offense intended- but I have always found TS to be one of the most fair outfits to drive for.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are times when things happen that are out of anybodys control. Whitewolf It seems that you are feeling that T/S is treating you unfair in many ways. It maybe time for you and your fleet cord. to sit own and have a face to face talk. Mick, Carl or Don I'm sure would be glad to talk with you about your issuses. Most of us that have been at T/S for awhile have had a load cancel after Accepting it. with the " sent to wrong truck" message. The last one I had was due to door size that the Disp. had overlooked when Disp. the load. Now before anyone jumps on me, Yes T/S does have some problems, but anytime I have had a question Carl or Mick has gotten me my answer. I may have not like the answer I got it, but I do feel like I got the truth.

As far as all the talk about the 65%, I would say after the loads that I have run this week That is what they are paying us. There have been a couple of loads that they could have pocketed extra money, But they added it to my load offer.

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
COME ON PEOPLE LOOK AT YOURSELF
its not hard!!!!!!
WE had 2 loads this week that we went WOW cant be. The Last load: they were looking for us when we pulled in the yard, WHY;) you ask, when they called to check on the load, they were told that WE are running ahead and would be at the location 5 hours early.
First thing that was said when we were unloaded was WOW:eek: you guys are good this was the first time that they ever had a delivery that was needed over night that it worked. We were told that most deliver 6hr to a day late..

the next thing was the Dock works all looked at the shipment and one went in the office and came out with the OWNER. HE went over to look at the skid and box, come over to US and said this is the first time we EVER had a shipment that did not even have a mark on it anyplace, NO DAMAGE
He asked US if we needed anything or he could get us something.
WE gave him a Tri-State card and told him thinks but just call us next time. and we need to get back on the road.

WE ARE WHAT WE ARE >>>>> WE ARE WHAT THE PEOPLE SEE

I think that a shipper should be able to ask for a truck they all have numbers on them. If that tuck is in the area it should get the load they must have worked for it on an another load.

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
How do I know the shipper ask for a specific truck?...I run that load before and everything worked just fine...How much they charge the customer?..How the dispatch system work?(1st out or who is close to the customer or idle time)..Why they charge 32.50 for the QC if you don't use it? Why they charge 30 $ monthly for OOI administration fee? Why we have to pay for drug test???Why we have to take this test ..DOT don't require..look at this

U.S. Department of Transportation / Office of the Secretary of Transportation
My van is under 10000 lb why they send us for drug test? I'll call DOT to make sure if this is right

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
sound like you need to Move on my man. Life is to short.
I got IT maybe you should have a contract made for you.
With ALL the things you want and don't want.
with all the numbers in the order that you want them in.
all the cost factors that you want in it. and send it out to ALL the Owners and Carriers, post it in the board.
And if and when you get an OFFER run with it,
REMEMBER this bed you made and should not walk away from it.

if it works you will be the biggest band leader everyone will want to jump on board with you and YOUR WAY.:D

OH YES drug testing bring it on test test test please test, the only people i know that this is a problem are the people that cant handle a drug test, GOT A PROBLEM :eek::confused:

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Jsbiker You are new in expediting.. I can see how excited you are...You just woke up..get some coffee

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
Jsbiker You are new in expediting.. I can see how excited you are...You just woke up..get some coffee

That guy holding the gun to your head that's making you stay in this business? Do you want one of us to take him out?

You have a problem with a company drug testing? Find me one that doesn't these days. And thank goodness, otherwise we'd have a dangerous situation on the roads. The fee I can't speak for because my owner has to deal with those issues.

Maybe it's time for you to go into the office and talk to someone face to face.

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
LOL i am not new to this not at all LOL
if you only knew!!!!!!!.
i have refused to load trucks, based on the driver and how the truck looked.
i have taken items in my own truck, carriers not showing up. i have been on the shippers end of the phone asking when are they going to show up. i have a list of why they are late for the pickup.

the party truck has never been late, and up to 10.5 hrs early!!!!!

i am a realest not a dreamer.
I don't run around crying,
coffee LOL LOL yup

take charge of your life and not try to fined a problem with others like i said in another post look in the mirror you may find the real problem!!!!!!!!

all you wan to do is look for a problem not work with the sysem. wake up and smell life.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
In traditional logic, an axiom or postulate is a proposition that is not proved or demonstrated but considered to be either self-evident, or subject to necessary decision. Therefore, its truth is taken for granted, and serves as a starting point for deducing and inferring other (theory dependent) truths.

Expediting Axiom:

If multiple units are available, carriers will load who they want to load.

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
It is an economic axiom as old as the hills that goods and services can be paid for only with goods and services