Training

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
As you may already know I have been involed in expediting for a short time(a year). My wife is considering quiting her secretary job to come on the road with me. What advice can you give me in training her. What advice can you give her on making the transition? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank You very much.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I contacted several driving schools in my area and found only one that would allow me to rent truck and driver/instructor for practice runs and CDL test. I rented truck for the weekend before my road test, we spent 16 hours going over pre-trip inspections and driving over the route used for road test. On Monday I took the pre-trip and road test passing both.

For training I drove with my first O/O for 3 days and then was on my own.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the advice John. My owner is going to allow my wife to practice in his truck that I drive after she gets her permit. He also said she can take the test in the truck as well. Again thanks for the advice and I hope you have a great remander of the year.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Be careful to not overlook the simple items. Biggest one is can you live and work together in times of high stress. Some can and some can't. If unsure, spend a weekend in your closet or bathroom with a TV and see if your opinion is the same come Monday.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Advice to spend time together in a closet is not as off-beat is it may first sound. Better still to spend some time together on the road in a truck if you can. That will introduce you both to close-quarters life and introduce your wife to life on the road. Before she quits her job, it might be wise for your wife to take a leave or use some vacation time to come on the road with you.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the advice. The wife passed her general knowledge test today and is going to take her air brakes test on monday. Next week she will be on vacation and in the truck with me. Hopefully next week will give us a little insight on how it will be. Again, thanks for the advice.

late for dinner

Expert Expediter
this has nothing to do with training, but have you considered what your wife would be giving up as far as bennys? I'm sure that if I had a loving wife I would want her with me, but the cost of medical insurance alone is out of reach for most of us. Best of luck to the both of you.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
She has no bennies where she works. I have health insurance for us because of my time in the service. She has no ins,retirement, or vacation. No sick time no nothing.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I second that emotion - thanks for being a vet. Good luck with the training, & please tell your wife that she's welcome to send a private message to me, or Linda Caffee, or CoCo, if she thinks we can help. And while you're training her to be a good & safe driver, please don't forget that you were a beginner once, too - maybe you have a talent for training, but not everyone can teach what they know. Hope it goes well, for you both - it's great when it works! ;)

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
By reading your post you have a strong work ethic, be sure if she is not as disiplined as you to take breaks and enjoy the fruits. The new Forum for Ladies might have some great suggestions and have her private email TCaffee and others that are teams. Wish you well, hope you have at least an 84 inch bunk.