Training for women

ggssdd

Seasoned Expediter
How does a female get safe OTR training
We are a husband and wife team just now getting started... thinking of getting our schooling at Roadmaster. Anyhow, we have not found a company out there that would be willing to do our Over the Road training together. Are there any out there? And we have also found very few that say they will get me with a female trainer - even if it takes a while. What does anyone else know??

davelees1

Seasoned Expediter
Try CR England, I heard they train husband and wife teams together. My wife and I trained separately with Werner. Not much fun, but we did it.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Training together would be tough. You'd have 3 people in a truck. I'm assuming that you're going for tractor/trailer driving?

woodfired

Seasoned Expediter
Hi - Any luck on finding a company yet? My husband and I are doing the same deal basically... roadmaster school at the same time and would like to train too. Are you going to Roadmaster in NC?

Thanks for any info you can share.

rpack41

Expert Expediter
Hello, my husband and I started driving together in 91.
We went to driving school together then he hired on with a company and rode with the trainer for 4 weeks. He then got his own truck and brought me aboard and trained me. It worked out real good for us. I didnt have to ride with a man I didnt know. Back in 1990 all companies we spoke with wanted to put me on with a man trainer and my husband wasnt going for that.
so, we worked around it. Good Luck, Rose

moonstrucker

Seasoned Expediter
I am new to this forum, and haven't properly introduced myself yet but I'll do that after I answer your question. :)

When hubby and I started out we went to National Training in Florida to obtain our CDL A. Then we hired onto Central Refrigerated and they allowed us to train with a trainer - together - on the same truck. It worked out well. It wasn't as crowded as you'd think and only lasted 5 wks. We got released early as we learned fast. :cool:

The things you need to be aware of about Central is:

1. They screw up the pay a lot. You need to keep a close eye on your pay and they will fix it, but it's a hassle.

2. They pay *very* low pay to trainees and to newbies. You need to know this. You'll starve otherwise. Have some backup $$$.

Hope this helped you somewhat.

Oh, and by the by, this is for tractor/trailer.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not having a husband to train with, I shared the truck with a male trainer, (I could have had a female trainer, if I'd been willing to wait for one to be available, but I just wanted to get on with it) and later, with several male codrivers, and never had any problems with inappropriate behavior. If there had been, I had only to request a different person to team with, and it would have been done, because no one should have to tolerate that.
I don't know if it will help in your situations, (having husbands who object), but letting the codriver know that it's strictly business, and sticking to it, worked for me. It was all about the job, period.
If you're worried that it can't be done, I assure you that it can, if you insist that it be done.
I just cannot imagine a truck with 3 people in it, crowded as it can get with 2! :eek:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Once You get your CDL,
Transport Corp. Of America
Have a husband and wife team trainers.
they will train you for 8 weeks driving a dedicated shipper.
Driving 2 trucks.
they have a terminal in Atlanta .
and the 10 days training take place in Louisville.

Moose.

moose

Veteran Expediter
And ,
If I'm not mistaken,
C R S T, have about the same deal, only I will not recommend this Company...

Moose.