Tractor Trailers in Expediting?

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What are some of the problems one might have with being an O/O in Expediting with their own Tractor?

I don't see too many, and that's why I ask.
I see many straight trucks... but I like the idea of having a tractor because, if I eventually decided to get my own authority (I'm aware of the costs of this) then I could get freight outside of the co. with the tractor much easier than with the straight truck.

53 foot trailer freight exists all over and goes all over.

Some O/O's on EO are drivers, who has a tractor? what kind is it? year, make, model, what sucess do you have with it?

Do you find it easier to drive it yourself or have somebody drive it for you?

What's the ballpark pay range per mile in expediting versus regular freight?

Do they push tractors to run as hard as the straight trucks?

What costs will the O/O's of a straight truck incur signing on versus a tractor O/O? Where do they run tractors?

Do Tractors that expedite see more of a certain part or parts of the country than straight trucks that expedite typically do?

If I was to get a tractor, it would no doubt be getting equipped with a generator of some kind to cut down on my idle time.

The Tractor trailer work is what I'm interested in.

Also, what's the differences between Landstar Ranger, and
Landstar Express America?
How do they differ in pay, freight, and dispatching systems?

Thanks, Bob.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Same problems you had driving for a contractor. Bed's too small, you'll bump your elbows. Sit too long. Not enough income.Yada,yada,yada.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Me driving for a contractor is irrelavant to the questions being asked. Thank you for your concern though.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
As far as being loaded, count on it. There are tons of expedite freight for t/ts. And, if you don't find it there, you can always get a straight truck load, and it still pays more than hauling regular freight. I'd say that there is more expedited t/t freight than there is for straight trucks.

I'll email you some more info, so as to not pyss some ppl off.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know that some are partial to certain co.'s on here, but I'm doing my research and just asking questions - which is what this newbies forum is/should be for... to gain info for the newbie.
Some of you know that I'm not new to the road at all, just new to the business side of truckin'... I want to succeed and become one of the success stories on these boards. In order to do that I need business info, tips, and truck buying info... all of which I'll be acquiring over the course of 2006. Some time in early 2007 I hope to take the leap into Owner Operator.

I'm especially curious about PII's tractor side and LandStar's tractor side. I've worked with PII before, and was NOT disappointed at all in how they took care of me - the owner I drove for is another bad O/O story. The thing I didn't like was having to log according the Qualcomm. Swift does not do that, I like to log what I feel is right, not what the Qualcomm feels is right. "Arrived at Shipper" does not mean I'm "Unloading at the shipper", it simply means I've arrived there. I like that.
I always wanted to try my hand at a temp. controlled straight truck unit with them, but never got the opportunity. I'm in a contract with Swift and it would not suit me to move from them at this point in time... though at a later point in time if the right opportunity came along with the right money and equipment I might consider.
Landstar has my interest because I hear that O/O's work with Brokers and not dispatchers... and that it works out better that way.
I've also been told that Landstar gives you multiple loads to choose from if you have wireless internet and/or a laptop. I could see that being nice as well.
Tractor trailer loads may be plentiful, but I don't see many of them. I really don't, I see far more straight trucks than anything else. Perhaps one of the board members that's a multi truck owner, with tractor experience, could put their 2 cents in here in this post for me...

Well, Bed time, should have a load outa here tomorrow - goin' who knows where, just hope it gets me outa Utah.
Later all, Bob.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm in Cheyenne, WY, goin' to Sheridan, WY, up on I-90. Saw 1 PII Semi, and 2 straight truck expediters, 1 from Conway and the other looked to be an Independant. There's straight trucks out west here though, they're runnin' I-80 east and west.

Haven't seen many semi trucks with expediter co.'s... I guess alot of the semi's must stay east of the MS river.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
>What are some of the problems one might have with being an
>O/O in Expediting with their own Tractor?
>
>I don't see too many, and that's why I ask.
>I see many straight trucks... but I like the idea of having
>a tractor because, if I eventually decided to get my own
>authority (I'm aware of the costs of this) then I could get
>freight outside of the co. with the tractor much easier than
>with the straight truck.
>
>53 foot trailer freight exists all over and goes all over.
>
>Some O/O's on EO are drivers, who has a tractor? what kind
>is it? year, make, model, what sucess do you have with it?
>
>Do you find it easier to drive it yourself or have somebody
>drive it for you?
>
>What's the ballpark pay range per mile in expediting versus
>regular freight?
>
>Do they push tractors to run as hard as the straight trucks?
>
>What costs will the O/O's of a straight truck incur signing
>on versus a tractor O/O? Where do they run tractors?
>
>Do Tractors that expedite see more of a certain part or
>parts of the country than straight trucks that expedite
>typically do?
>
>If I was to get a tractor, it would no doubt be getting
>equipped with a generator of some kind to cut down on my
>idle time.
>
>The Tractor trailer work is what I'm interested in.
>
>Also, what's the differences between Landstar Ranger, and
>Landstar Express America?
>How do they differ in pay, freight, and dispatching systems?
>
>Thanks, Bob.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
>What are some of the problems one might have with being an
>O/O in Expediting with their own Tractor?
>
>I don't see too many, and that's why I ask.
>I see many straight trucks... but I like the idea of having
>a tractor because, if I eventually decided to get my own
>authority (I'm aware of the costs of this) then I could get
>freight outside of the co. with the tractor much easier than
>with the straight truck.
>
>53 foot trailer freight exists all over and goes all over.
>
>Some O/O's on EO are drivers, who has a tractor? what kind
>is it? year, make, model, what sucess do you have with it?
>
>Do you find it easier to drive it yourself or have somebody
>drive it for you?
>
>What's the ballpark pay range per mile in expediting versus
>regular freight?
>
>Do they push tractors to run as hard as the straight trucks?
>
>What costs will the O/O's of a straight truck incur signing
>on versus a tractor O/O? Where do they run tractors?
>
>Do Tractors that expedite see more of a certain part or
>parts of the country than straight trucks that expedite
>typically do?
>
>If I was to get a tractor, it would no doubt be getting
>equipped with a generator of some kind to cut down on my
>idle time.
>
>The Tractor trailer work is what I'm interested in.
>
>Also, what's the differences between Landstar Ranger, and
>Landstar Express America?
>How do they differ in pay, freight, and dispatching systems?
>
>Thanks, Bob.

Hi Bob When I came to Leam, I was tired of tt, but I did a little research on tt at leam. Didn't like what I heard, 8 tt units and 300 or so d and c rigs. I came from Ranger and you are right about selecting your loads online or via landline with operations, not so at leam. You wait for a load offer from an agent ref. your location and there is not too much you can do to enhance your load chances other than to call agents and make them aware of your circumstance( location, eta,equipt,etc). I personally have found leam to be more profitable, especially with the fema duty. Operating costs are certainly less for my two D units than my tt. Ranger and leam are seperate co's under the landstar umbrella. Leam drivers used to be able to take Ranger freight (LTL) to help keep you moving, but they(corp) had to tweak the system and the result is you can still haul the freight, but the pay is so low most guys don't mess with it. I am fairly new to expediting so I am probaly not a good source for info and Ive only been at Landstar for 1 1/2 yrs but trucking for 15. E mail at [email protected] and I'll give you my cell# and we can chat. Also, Leo ( LNB) is a leam guy and may have different insight.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was told if you want to run a load off the intranet to call a LEAM express center to book it rather than the agent posting it. That way you don't dilute the pay so much.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ok, I'm officially confused now...

What are the differences between LEAM and Ranger?
Keep it simple. Pay, types/sizes of loads, lengths of trips,
Per mile rates.

How does who's dispatch system work?

Seeking current info on the 2 co.'s.

Thanks, Bob

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LEAM is Landstar Express AMerica, the expediting segment of the company. Ranger is one of the OTR segments of the company. As I understand it they all work from the express center concept and they all pay 62% of the linehaul.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
-----

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There we go! that's the kind of info I was seeking.
I know they're both all O/O as well. Owner pays fuel and tolls.

Landstar Ranger,
do they have a maintenance center at any terminals or ?
how does that work? deals on Tires?

Fuel network of any kind? Surcharges?

and does Ranger offer Benefits? what's the deal there as well?

I'm interested in Ranger as well as LEAM, though LEAM runs more rushed than Ranger does I'm sure - though I don't know about the 18 wheeler division of LEAM, and would like to know.

ok, thanks, keep the info comin'.

Currently in Boise, goin' towards Evanston, WY area...
depending on weather

Cabbage Patch in OR has snow/ice...
as well as Snoqualme Pass up on I-90 in WA
I'm hearing 80 west of Cheyenne has snow problems as well.
Hopin' to get down towards Ogden, UT at the very least tonite.

Later, Bob.

I posted in General Expediters Conference the weather I've hit.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As far as I know all the divisions work the same way. Fuel is discounted most everywhere except J's. An example is T/A in Lafayette, LA. that had pump price of $2.449 and the Landstar price was $2.305 but you have to use your Landstar Comdata card. There's a network for tires. PM service is discounted well at the T/A. Ford vehicles are availabe at X plan price with no haggling or hassles from the dealer. There are some other discounts etc. but I don't remember what they are.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
-----

WheelerDealer

Expert Expediter
I know very little about this industry. I've had my truck since 12/1/05. Been broke down twice for a month but why dont cha talk to the recruiters with the LEAM and any other companies that you maybe interested in , that's what I did. It's better than hearsay.

Remeber there are no strangers....just friends we've not met.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'll believe the drivers that drive for the co.'s and the O/O's on this site MUCH Sooner than I will Ever believe a recruiter for a co..
I've said it before and I'll say it again...
Recruiters tell drivers what drivers want to hear.
They know what drivers want to hear, and they tell them that.
Landstar has a great deal goin' on the fuel network it seems.
I'm very glad to hear about that.

Currently in Denver, and glad to be off of I-80, was a bit slippery between 240ish and just west of Laramie, WY area... that was Thurs. nite though. Next: KC and Music City.
Later, Bob.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LS fuel network is very large. Some places it's excellent and others not as great. The big variable is T/A which sells for cost plus anywhere from .02 to .04 cents. You call a toll free number and punch in the code for the T/A location and it tells you the cost. The handbook with the location code tells how much to add. I've called some that were only a few pennies below pump price and with the upcharge added in was almost back to pump price. Others, like Lafayette, wind up 15 cents below pump price after adding the upcharge. Pilot is a straight 4 cents off pump. Loves is 2 cents off pump. I forget the rest but that's an idea.

PM on a Cummins ISX was about $145 out the door on their program. That's less than most places charge for the class 7 Sterling engine which takes a few less gallons of oil so I think that's a good deal. Overall they save you money and if you have the time to check T/A fuel prices and also factor in taxes like they teach in orientation you can definitely save money on fuel.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
-----

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Bob Two different companies. Every load is different. Ranger has 1000 agent/brokers looking for loads and then posting them on company web site,YOU look on load board call agent talk about loac,take if you want it. Leam has 50 or so agents/ express centers who look for loads and when they have one , they check Qualcom see who is closest with right equipt and THEY call You and you talk.. No dispatchers no terminals for maint some fuel points offer a discount if you use comdata, however comdata transactions are time stamped and can be uses by log dept to pinpoint exact locations at exact times:( :( :( We have no per mile anything every load is different. Ranger pays 67% of 98% of load with co trailer 8 % more with your trl LEAM pays 62% D units 62% Trac trl with your own trl or rent theirs $150.00 week. Earlier post encouaged you to contact me, offer still open. Good luck

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Greg, sounds like Ranger is the better of the 2 co.'s, when it comes to pay. I will be talkin' to some on the radio to find out more info, will also talk with Ranger and LEAM at the truck show. I will be keeping everybody up to date on my findings and my decisions.
Regarding the posts on tractor trailers, it is now rather obvious that solo drivers in 18 wheelers in expediting really don't exist all that much, and that tells me there's no real money in it - if there is it's a struggle to get it, and it from the replies and comments, it sounds like solo 18 wheeler drivers in expediting run for their money. I don't mind runnin' for my money, but I'm not gonna bust butt so that I can make a truck payment and truck bills and have 50 bucks profit to show for it. I'd rather run slower and make more than run harder and faster and make less. Ranger I know doesn't run you all that hard, and the trucks I've seen with Ranger are nice rigs, that tells me there's money to be made there as a solo.
Thanks, Bob