Tractor to straight truck conversion.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
With our temperature control trailer nearing the 10 year old limit we are thinking about not replacing it, but going into 'semi' retirement and converting our tractor into a CR unit.

Can anybody give us some advice on who we talk to about how to go about it? Right now we have a 132" ARI custom sleeper on a KW. It has a back door that I would like to keep. So that would meen leaving a space between the rear door and the box. Can this be done and stay under 40 foot?
What I have in mind is a 'filler' half box (just for storage) on the drivers side that would run between the rear of the sleeper and the front of the box, and to the rear door of the sleeper. Leaving a walkway out the back door and out the current steps on the passenger side.

What company builds the best refer straight truck boxes?

Thanks

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may want to see about having this question moved to the General or Truck Forum. There is a host of others out there that are very knowledgeable, who may not be able to provide any feedback since posting information to this site is limited to FECC contractors. Just a thought.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can you get extensions with inspections like you can on trucks and vans?

I can't help with who makes the best reefer boxes but rather than a closet type box on one side and wide open elsewhere have you considered a full enclosure with a second door on the curb side? That would be lots more aerodynamic and also function as sort of a mud/snow room before entering the sleeper. I'd think the better mpg would then pay for the added cost.

If you want this moved to the general forum so others can respond just post a note asking the moderators to move it and the next one to read it will take care of it for you. Good luck with the project.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I spoke too soon at least for me. I can't move threads out of this forum but I will contact admin and ask them to do it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't do it. I would keep the trailer, or buy a newer one but don't get a CR unit unless you know for sure you will make money with it.

10 year limit, another company thing. You should look at another company to run it without a age limit.

Forget the back door idea, with the sleeper, you are looking at about an 16 foot box at the most and with the three feet you need for the door way (safe passage and all that), it will put you into a 14 foot box. Beside that gap will kill your fuel mileage.

Getting a new box built isn't a problem, Kidron is about the best but others are just as good. The problem may be that you will pay for the new Reefer unit, the conversion and the box but end up investing more than if you would just get a new trailer. Beside that, it traps you into the problem that many CR units have, not many companies that you can go to with it - believe me I know.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could:

Customize a drom box to fit your rear door and with a side door that opens and locks from both the inside and outside.

Buy a used 36" Peterbilt sleeper and mount it behind the ARI.

Sell the KW and trailer and use the proceeds for a down payment on a Sprinter BR unit.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
You will make more money pulling one of the feds trailers,remaining an E unit,than turning your tractor into a CR unit.There are no expedite companies that use reefer trailers that you can move that trailer to,as the 10 year rule will apply.Another thing is the reefer unit not being legal in California

Last edited:

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
question... why would they want to put a 36" sleeper, even a "big door" style sleeper behind their 132" box, they want to retain use of their back door. I would suggest the drom box idea, the small sleeper would kind of be useless- unless I misunderstood. I really don't see why you would go down to about a 14 foot box roughly. that's limiting freight.

how much would the 132 sleeper fetch on the market? perhaps downsize to smaller sleeper with more exterior storage? a 120" box would give you a couple more feet on the cargo box perhaps.

The notion of keeping a back door on a straight truck is... different. unique. but is it really practical? there's going to be profit issues as well as perhaps fuel mileage issues due to aerodynamic issues at stake.

I know what they're thinking, 132 to 120?! How dare I even suggest such a notion!!

BBB

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Actually there are a few.

greg,the reefer unit wont pass the new california laws if its 10 years old,and i dont know any expedite companies that willtake a 10 year old trailer.Panther and the Fed won't,they are the biggest 2 with reefer freight

DriverX

Seasoned Expediter
We Have done the swap of a trailer for a 14 ft reefer. We were an Er unit and we make more money in our pockets now with the straight truck as we went from 7mpg to 10 plus!
We made the move for the same reasons as you,we thought long and hard before making the switch. In the ER the majority of or loads were CR or DR at the lower rate. Paying more in fuel,fuel taxes,tolls tires and more.
Iam not saying it works for everyone but after years at the Fed with a Er.. I wish we would have made the switch much sooner! (and we can even park at Wal marts that dont allow big truck parking!)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
greg,the reefer unit wont pass the new california laws if its 10 years old,and i dont know any expedite companies that willtake a 10 year old trailer.Panther and the Fed won't,they are the biggest 2 with reefer freight

The reefer won't but retrofitting isn't an issue for California. Who cares anyway, there is a lot of freight in the rest of the country the last time I checked.

You seem to think these are the only two companies that have reefer freight.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
We Have done the swap of a trailer for a 14 ft reefer. We were an Er unit and we make more money in our pockets now with the straight truck as we went from 7mpg to 10 plus!
We made the move for the same reasons as you,we thought long and hard before making the switch. In the ER the majority of or loads were CR or DR at the lower rate. Paying more in fuel,fuel taxes,tolls tires and more.
Iam not saying it works for everyone but after years at the Fed with a Er.. I wish we would have made the switch much sooner! (and we can even park at Wal marts that dont allow big truck parking!)

Thanks everybody for all the replies.

OK # 1 we upgraded our unit last year and bought a new SB 310+ So the California EPA is not an issue.
What is the issue is the 10 year 'rule'. Our trailer was built 4/02 an titled as a 2003. That is what I thought the FED was going to go by. I'm finding out different. It's the build date or the 'in service' date.
So what choices do I have? Buy a new Trailer and unit? The resale on my trailer even with the new unit is not good, (although I have not got a quote yet) it's a 50 foot, wood floor, e-track, floor rings, belly boxes. ???
Buy just a trailer and put our unit on it. Then what do I do with a refer trailer without a unit?
Converting this truck to a CR unit was one of my options that we were thing about. (and really go into 'semi retirement)
As far as the 'gap' between the front of the box and rear of the cab, what's the difference between that and the gap that is there now with the trailer?
If it was not for the back door the convert would be simple. We really like the back door.
I guess what I need to look at is the overall length. Right now I just measured the back door open. It 'adds' 27" So that would make our 'sleeper' 159" So from there add the 14 foot for a box. Now am I going to be under 40 foot?

Like I said in the beginning, I'm just looking into this.
Driver X explains some of our reasons for doing this.

BTW For all the FXCC people. We were just 'inspected' and that is us written up in the current weekly bulletin with the 'immaculate T-Val trailer behind a great-looking tractor.'

Thanks everybody