Tools ???

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
I have numerous tool boxes and chests filled with various types of tools.

Obviously I dont need all them on the road, however I'm sure it is good idea to have some. So, what do you reccomend?

Any and all input is appriciated...Thanks

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would start with any and all tools related to the pulley system, alternator and hoses. That would be stuff you can do yourself in most cases.
Include spare alternator,some hoses and of course belts and related hardware clips, clamps.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Yeah the usual things like socket set (as compact as possible), hammer, set of screw drivers, pliers, assortment of combo wrenches and a pry bar or two and you should be set. Should all fit into one portable tool box and maybe the socket set case besides. Any more and you're hauling weight. This should allow you to change belts, hoses and such that ovm mentioned as well as do the lights etc.
Rob

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
In addition to the basic mechanical tools. Hammer and/or mallet. If you don't carry a claw hammer, have a way to pull nails, like fence pliers or prybar w/claws and small saw. Small saw. The saw can be a small, folding pruner or keyhole saw as long as you can cut through a 4x4. Comes in handy if you have to rig something to secure a load. Fence pliers or the right kind of sheetmetal shears--something that will cut through heavy wire, nails, stranded cable. I don't like to wait at delivery for the customer to find a tool to cut a heavy seal--I have the tool available for them to use. Tape measure at least the length of your cargo hold. It also doesn't hurt to write various dimensions of your cargo hold on the floors and walls.

It would be interesting to weigh your tool chest of recommended tools after a couple pages of everyone's "don't leave home without it" favorite tools. I had one company tool list that was obviously an add-as-you-go list that had to weigh 300 lbs.

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
As for torx fasteners if your vehicle has them. I carry a torx combo tool. It's not great for doing real work, but it will do most jobs in a marginal sort of way. I then get a dedicated torx tool as I run across regular jobs that require it. So on my vehicle a t-20, 25, 27, and 30 handle just about everything I do.

eb

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It all depends. It also depends on what you drive, a truck or a van.

The tools are only as good as the person using them. If the person doesn't know a screw driver is or how to properly use it, it is useless.

With that, the person's ability to do anything mechanical matters too. I know of two members who have a great collection of tools but they can't figure out how to change the dome light in their van.

There was a post a while ago that had lists of people's tools but I am not up to searching for it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I like the tool kits that come in a case and have a little bit of everything. I usually buy the cheap sets(ie made in China) since they aren't gonna be used everyday. The good tools stay at home

Have a pair of large channel locks and Vice Grips, and a nice assortment of screwdrivers and your pretty much set!!!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Trust me...The tool you need is always the one you chose to leave at home.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I usually buy the cheap sets(ie made in China) since they aren't gonna be used everyday. The good tools stay at home

Dakota, I do sort of the opposite. The tools I have in the vehicle are the most likely tools that I will really need to be dependable.

eb

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
Even though I'm not a licensed Mechanic I have allways made repairs and PM's on all my vehicles. However I have discovered that the owner we will be driving for wishes us not to do any repairs or pm's excluding light bulbs and such.

Wow, This will be another change I need to adjust to.

You all have been just great for your replies..

I will bring along some "100mph tape" aka duct tape.