Today's Fleet Owners

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
Nightcreacher,

OK... So I am an owner of 1 truck. I am in the process of building a business of 5 to 10 trucks. My truck went from struggling to find a driver and getting 1200 miles of revenue in 2 months to getting between $2.50 and $4.00 per mile, and 2000 to 2500 miles a week in 3 weeks...

I appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge with me as I venture into owning and operating a business instead of being a company driver.

All I tried to do was share my experience also. I look forward to the day I earn the title of fleet owner!

BTW... The operator of my truck gets 25% of the revenue. He will make a good living, as will I...

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
feel lucky you can find someone to work for just 25% OF REVENUE,YOUR A LUCKY MAN

If a driver is getting paid 25% of the load that is a good paying job. Think about it even if you are on a low paying load of $1.50 a mile the driver gets .37 a mile, when I was driving northeast regional I was getting .38.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If a driver is getting paid 25% of the load that is a good paying job. Think about it even if you are on a low paying load of $1.50 a mile the driver gets .37 a mile, when I was driving northeast regional I was getting .38.

Guess it depends on how much sitting is involved, if the wheels are rolling yeah .37 a mile is good

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
I worked as a company driver making 25% for many years. The truck I drove didn't make the revenue my truck is making now. I am able to give the operator of my truck the abiltiy to make 50K a year very easily. This is far better than the jobs our two governing parties are giving to the rest of the country. I feel pretty good about the opportunity I have to offer. I am not getting any government stimulus either...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Ya gotta understand tho......you are typing to an "elite" expediting crowd here whom really, truly believe their services are golden. Even if the fleet owner were paying ALL expenses the would still DEMAND 40% of gross, and a motel room once a week....prolly.

Problem is, most just don't know how to make money in this business, let alone "keep" any of it, an the keep'in problem is the saddest part.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I've been at it for 12yrs,had up to 6 units vans and strts and now have 4.I've got a solo and a team in the strt trks and i drive a van and have a driver in another van.There were alot of good points made,i've had my share of bad trks,bad luck,bad carriers,and troubled economic time.The sink or swim for me is the drivers,if your under capitalized it's a not a question of if but when.I have drivers that have been with me 2,7,and 12 yrs.I don't have the newest or biggest sleepers,I have months i lose and i can live with that cause at the end of the year when i have good drivers i am making money with the units i have [even a hino] the drivers are the key to any fleet owner in my experience.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I worked as a company driver making 25% for many years. The truck I drove didn't make the revenue my truck is making now. I am able to give the operator of my truck the abiltiy to make 50K a year very easily. This is far better than the jobs our two governing parties are giving to the rest of the country. I feel pretty good about the opportunity I have to offer. I am not getting any government stimulus either...
is the driver getting 25% of the fsc too?is that 2.00 your talking about all miles,otherwise 25% of what

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't have a class A license only a lowly B:(. That being said $.37 a mile might be good for a dedicated route 5-6 days a week. BUT if your sitting 3-4 days a week it might not look quite as promising.:rolleyes:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't have a class A license only a lowly B:(. That being said $.37 a mile might be good for a dedicated route 5-6 days a week. BUT if your sitting 3-4 days a week it might not look quite as promising.:rolleyes:

I was home a day and a half to 2 days a week and my average checks were $900 a week running northeast regional. The extra time sitting could definitely hurt the pocket but your still doing better than a lot of skilled factory workers.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If they are UAW factory workers skilled or unskilled. They probably would not leave the couch for $900.00 per week.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
The driver gets 25% of revenue to the truck, and no expenses. The FSC goes to who pays fuel. I think that is fair, don't you?

In my case, lumpers, tolls, and other expenses are either calculated in the the mileage rate, or are paid by the shipper.

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter

Hopefully we'll all still be able to have that opportunity when this mess in Washington is over...compromise is needed, but when one side will not compromise so they can protect the millionaires, it makes it difficult. IF they do not do something constructive, the economy could be back to 2008/09 and worse. I know I'm waiting to see what happens before taking this plunge.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
I don't think waiting for the government to create a pro business environment is a good idea either. Niether party is anywhere close to making that happen, and the American voter isn't even close to looking at better choices.

I got in because I could no longer find local work, I needed to do something to make a living. If it doesn't work, I was already on the road to going bankrupt anyway.

This situation was created by our government, and I don't believe that they are capable of fixing it with the current parties that the voters support.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hopefully we'll all still be able to have that opportunity when this mess in Washington is over...compromise is needed, but when one side will not compromise so they can protect the millionaires, it makes it difficult. IF they do not do something constructive, the economy could be back to 2008/09 and worse. I know I'm waiting to see what happens before taking this plunge.

You could be waiting a long time, if you have proper finances in place you will still be fine, you may make a little less while it is slow but you can still be profitable.

woolylocks

Active Expediter
I don't really see and increase with sprinters other than replacing some of the standard vans. More like airport courier work than what I would list as "expedite loads". Primarily because of the short distances. I do see straights taking more van freight than the other way around. Just look at the border freight.

As far as less fleet owners, that probably is true. Higher financing and operating capital requirements have kept many out compared to several years ago. Kind of a high dollar hobby.
Couple that with running for dollar carriers and buying the wrong equipment did many in.
By wrong equipment, I mean many fell for the cheap financing of Hinos only to find out their investment was worth half after a year in. Put that with many drivers who wouldn't drive them, and that investment went south in a hurry. Many were warned, but some just have to find out for themselves.
I need to talk to you, I just looked at Panther have been reading their entire website since 3:00am...I'm going to do this I just don't know which way just yet, help me out, please.