Tires for a Sprinter 2500

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Ok,it's about that time to change. Anybody do any upgrades on the tires (on sprinter)? I'm going on 45,000 miles on the ones that came on it and they have about 1/2 there trend still, but they are no good in the snow.LOOKING for a good all season tire (that works good in the snow) or maybe some to put on the rear for the winter months. I'll take all the help and input that I can get.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use most any semi-aggressive treaded tire I can find....BUT make sure you stay with the same circumference or close so you don't set off the sensors...

guido4475

Not a Member
I have actually thought about buying tire chains for the van, just in case needed.Especially where I live.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've used Bridgestone's since my van was new, never a problem in the snow and have gotten over a 100,000 out of each set, Tires Chains in Northeast Ohio?? I've never needed them and I get more snow here than Guido gets 20 miles from me.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've been happy with the house brand tires at Discount Tire. Get the replacement warranty, then if you don't hit the mileage they will pro rate new tires
also they will rotate for free and free flat repairs.
I had a cargo van with their tires, also a Jeep and my current car, never had an issue.
Just make sure to get E load rated.
I believe their house brand is made by Kelly Springfield, I might be wrong on that:)

As far as tires good for the snow you almost need to run snow tires, but they wear quickly and should only be used in the winter months, way to soft for the heat.

Last edited:

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
I use only Michellines,expensive but very very good all season,over 100,000 miles

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I just put on a set of Michelin AT/2 tires. The AT/2 (all terrain) has even deeper tread than the M/S (mud and snow) and longer treadwear than the A/S (all season), especially when they're full o' nitrogen. I got 125,000 and 135,000, respectively, out of my last 2 sets of A/S Michelins, and swapped both out when they were between 4/32 and 6/32 of tread left, so I could have gone a little longer.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
The stock Michelin A/S lasted me till 145K miles. I swapped them out for the Michelin M/S and at 100K miles on them I still have about 1/2 tread left on them. Oh yea I also used Nitrogen on this set of M/S's.

Sounds to me like you have a '07+ 2500. The continentals that came stock are pure crap. Most people get 45-55k out of them and thats it. Come to think of it any stock Continental tire that I've had expereince with didn't last.

LSLdriver

Seasoned Expediter
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
50,000 mile warranty, quite, great traction and cheaper then the LTX. I have 23000 miles and nubs are still on the side. Makes a sprinter actually feel like it is actually good in snow. TireRack had a pretty good price on them as well.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, I got the continentals on the van.

Been shopping after I posted yesterday and I've narrowed it down to the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor (123R) or the Michelin LTX AT2 and for the chains,if it's that bad,I'll be parked.
The last time I set for 3 1/2 days in PA for them to get the road cleaned,the customer gave me no problem with the extra time it took to get there.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Michelin M/S, Last over 175,000 miles on my 05 2500 Sprinter. That comes out to be 500.00 per year. Worth it, and never had any problems in the snow. Year old and still look like new. OVM replaced his the same time I did and he is close to replacing his already, non Michelin tires.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
2010 Sprinter extended..original tires have given me 66k and have been rotated once. I am not far from replacing them as tread wear has been a bit uneven and there are low spots and not much tread left.

I have always replaced with Michelins and have never been unhappy with the decision(except for writing the initial check)...But I guess you get what you pay for..A quick look has me leaning toward xp- somethings but I have not priced them yet.

I am disappointed in only 70k out of the original equipment. I was hoping for at least 100k and would have liked to see 120k to be truly satisfied. That number will go up to 150k for the michelin investment.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I replaced my Michelin LTX M/S at 201,000 miles with another set of the same. And have a set of chains for exercising.

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I used to complain about the horrible wear of the Continentals, but considering the miles that regular sprinter owners put on their vehicles, they'll dry rot before they wear them out.

eb

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know this is a old thread, but it has helped me with what to buy. BTW I won 800 bucks for tires at GATS in a Landstar drawing at their safety meetings during the show. Therefore, tires with all the extra will cost me 300 bucks. 212 per tire and lifetime warranty on the tires for road hazards.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just put Michelins on my van. They are MUCH quieter and ride nicely.