Tips for driving a straight truck on snow and ice?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I'm in a freightliner straight truck with a sleeper and this season will be my first time driving in winter for the most part. I had a few snow drives in my 4 months of TT but nothing that changed the roads. Also I'm from coastal South Carolina, we don't do snow. So in a nutshell I'm nervous about my first true winter driving. Looking for advice or tips on handling it.

When I Google about it, I only see articles or videos about either TTs or cars. Nothing specific about a straight truck which kinda falls in between the two.

My plan is to stay east of the miss for the most part and watch the weather every day to avoid snow storms as much as possible, but we all know im going to run into it from time to time. But I also don't wanna shut down as soon as I see a snowflake.

So here's some questions:

1. How do you know when you slightly lose traction so I can take it as a warning that I probably need to shut down soon? Is it a feel of the truck kinda thing, a sound, a warning light that comes on, etc?

2. What Midwestern states ( and surrounding) are notorious for bad winter roads, and which states are known for taking good care of them?

3. If I'm parked at a truck stop and get snowed in and can't find traction to get moving, is there a way to get unstuck or should I just wait it out? And sorta the same thing if a delivery has a really snowy icy lot?

4. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much does chaining up the drive tires help with traction?

5. This truck has hydraulic brakes. Do I need to worry about the brakes freezing? Anything else mechanical wise I need to be on top of when it's below freezing?

6. If I do lose traction and slide, and I'm paying attention and counter steer immediately, is it usually correctable while staying in my lane? How long will it usually take to regain traction? (I know it depends but just usually, also if this happens in finding a truck stop or rest area immediately.

Or any other tips you can give me would be really helpful. Much appreciated.

Reactions: TeamHutch

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in a freightliner straight truck with a sleeper and this season will be my first time driving in winter for the most part. I had a few snow drives in my 4 months of TT but nothing that changed the roads. Also I'm from coastal South Carolina, we don't do snow. So in a nutshell I'm nervous about my first true winter driving. Looking for advice or tips on handling it.

When I Google about it, I only see articles or videos about either TTs or cars. Nothing specific about a straight truck which kinda falls in between the two.

My plan is to stay east of the miss for the most part and watch the weather every day to avoid snow storms as much as possible, but we all know im going to run into it from time to time. But I also don't wanna shut down as soon as I see a snowflake.

So here's some questions:

1. How do you know when you slightly lose traction so I can take it as a warning that I probably need to shut down soon? Is it a feel of the truck kinda thing, a sound, a warning light that comes on, etc?

You always want to drive for conditions obviously, waiting till you slightly lose traction to pull over is dangerous. What we’ve found is driving on snow is fairly easy but when the roads are going to ice we get off the road. If the roads are wet and temps are dropping below freezing we pull over. When it’s snowing we drive for safety. No amount of skill can safely drive on ice.

2. What Midwestern states ( and surrounding) are notorious for bad winter roads, and which states are known for taking good care of them?

North and northeastern states are typically very good at maintenance. States who use sand or a sand salt mix watch out for (typically southern southern Midwest states.

3. If I'm parked at a truck stop and get snowed in and can't find traction to get moving, is there a way to get unstuck or should I just wait it out? And sorta the same thing if a delivery has a really snowy icy lot?

Truck stops usually do a good job of plowing and salting their parking lots. If you can’t get out chance are the roads are just as bad. We keep a heavy duty tow chain on hand just in case. Make sure you hook your tow hooks and not your axle or bumper.

4. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much does chaining up the drive tires help with traction?

We’ve been driving almost six years and never had to chain. If conditions are that bad we pull over. Keep some on hand though just in case. They are required in some states.

5. This truck has hydraulic brakes. Do I need to worry about the brakes freezing? Anything else mechanical wise I need to be on top of when it's below freezing?

Not 100 on this. I do know hydraulic can get some what stiffer when applying the brakes. Always leave more room in front of you than normal.

6. If I do lose traction and slide, and I'm paying attention and counter steer immediately, is it usually correctable while staying in my lane? How long will it usually take to regain traction? (I know it depends but just usually, also if this happens in finding a truck stop or rest area immediately.

This is a huge what if. The number one thing not to do is over steer and don’t touch the brakes. This can be very hard not to do as your natural (oh crap) reaction is to hit the brakes. Very important to try and remain calm.

Or any other tips you can give me would be really helpful. Much appreciated.

Our biggest tip would be watch the temperatures and watch the roads. If it snows one night then the sun comes out and melts a lot of snow, then it starts to freeze again, chances are the roads will ice up. If it’s raining all day and it starts to get dark temperatures will fall below freezing, chances are the roads Will ice up. Depending on the amount of snow typically you’ll be fine if you slow it down.

Driving on ice is no joke. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: dc843

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Our biggest tip would be watch the temperatures and watch the roads. If it snows one night then the sun comes out and melts a lot of snow, then it starts to freeze again, chances are the roads will ice up. If it’s raining all day and it starts to get dark temperatures will fall below freezing, chances are the roads Will ice up. Depending on the amount of snow typically you’ll be fine if you slow it down.

Driving on ice is no joke. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

So it really need to be a daily thing of paying attention to where the snow and rain falls and assume if your in that area the following day or two that it will re freeze? Then when you get to that area what would be the warning sign that there is indeed ice? from what I see in pics it just looks like a wet road, I've never actually seen any in real life.

If it was ice would you just go super slow until you found a truck parking spot I suppose? Like 20mph with hazards on?

Love yall's YouTube channel btw.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
When temps approach freezing, don't accelerate, brake or change lanes on overpasses or bridges. Watch the vehicle tires ahead of you during wet road conditions. If they are kicking up a spray, it's generally water on the road, not ice. If no spray, consider it being a black ice possible situation. With snow and ice, be careful and sensible, not fearful. Go with the flow, not too slow nor too fast.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As Terry said, watch for spray coming off tires.
Also, bridges and underpasses will ice up first.
Watch for shady areas that may not get the warming rays of the sun.
And if you don’t feel safe, don’t let a dispatcher bully you into running.
They’ll be pissed, but they’ll get over it.
And watch for crosswinds surprising you as you come past obstructions like trees and tunnels.
After a few successful trips through bad weather your confidence will gain and you’ll think this isn’t too bad.
Never get too relaxed or confident.
Main thing is speed. Too fast and it’s hard to stop.
Too slow and you’ll have trouble maintaining momentum over a grade.
Don’t get too tired. Stop, stretch, and keep windows, mirrors, lights, and placards clear of ice, snow, and salt.
In the middle of a storm is no place to be replacing your wiper blades.
Lowering your visors will help Trap defroster air near windshield.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rags, do you remember black ice as a kid ?
All I remember is ice. Plain old ice.
Also, when it was zero,it was zero.
Not zero, but feels like -10 degrees.

I remember this cause I walked two miles to school.
Uphill. Both ways.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rags, do you remember black ice as a kid ?
All I remember is ice. Plain old ice.
Also, when it was zero,it was zero.
Not zero, but feels like -10 degrees.

I remember this cause I walked two miles to school.
Uphill. Both ways.
Yeah, i remember it all. Weather coverage is not too much different than back in the olden days in my area.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So it really need to be a daily thing of paying attention to where the snow and rain falls and assume if your in that area the following day or two that it will re freeze? Then when you get to that area what would be the warning sign that there is indeed ice? from what I see in pics it just looks like a wet road, I've never actually seen any in real life.

If it was ice would you just go super slow until you found a truck parking spot I suppose? Like 20mph with hazards on?

Love yall's YouTube channel btw.

Thank you!

Thats what we do at least. Having a temp reader in your truck can be really helpful. If your truck does not have one you can pick up one of those inside outside temp readers from Home Depot or Lowes really cheap.

Melt off can be just as dangerous as rain. Roads and bridges that have plowed snow on the side can melt, run off into the road, and re-freeze. Like others mentioned black ice is the most dangerous to watch out for.

You will know when to slow down on snow. Ice is what you really want to watch out for.

TheCraftyTrucker

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Though the average winter if you had to estimate how many days will you deal with icy conditions?

Each year we’ve been out we’ve really only had to shut it down about once maybe twice per winter season. Keep track of the weather during winter and try not to accept loads going into storms or if you do take that load negotiate ALOT more money to deal with it.

I remember our first year we dropped off in MO and forgot a load bar on the dock. I pulled into a empty parking lot to turn around and got stuck. We had zero traction. Ended up having to call a small tow truck with a wench to pull us out lol. It was only about three inches of snow in the parking lot but the bottom layer was ice.

TheCraftyTrucker

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Wow that sucks. I guess just because the roads are clear doesn't mean parking lots are. Appreciate the help.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Though the average winter if you had to estimate how many days will you deal with icy conditions?
. Ended up having to call a small tow truck with a wench to pull us out lol.

TheCraftyTrucker

Great Idea !!!!

I’ve felt like I’ve been screwed once or twice by a tow truck driver.
I never thought about calling a tow truck driver AND a wench at the same time !

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
How about the ATC is straight trucks? I've heard it's not really worth much in a TT with air brakes but a ST with disc brakes?

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about the ATC is straight trucks? I've heard it's not really worth much in a TT with air brakes but a ST with disc brakes?

Have not used it much. Can’t say for sure. We are looking into getting some auto socks for trucks. If they are in your budget may not be bad to have. Really easy to put on and work great from what I’ve heard.

TheCraftyTrucker

Last edited:
Reactions: Kip life

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What’s wrong with good, old fashioned, snow chains? I’ve only used them a few times, but they got me through the Colorado mountains in winter.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Put on on-spots.
Faster/safer.
Stay dry and warm.
It’s unsafe walking around in chainup conditions.
Do you have the time to chain up to get out of a parking space or dock ? Sometimes no.

Reactions: Solar

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
About avoiding braking during a skid. I was taught at a skid school back in 1988 to get off the brake and push in the clutch. This rule served well until ABS came along. Now the instructions are to maintain firm steady brake pressure. My last truck had ABS and I can attest it works. If in doubt that your truck has ABS check with your owners manual. I think at some point in time all trucks were mandated to have it.