Tips for driving a straight truck on snow and ice?

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
First of all, Yes, it's a "feel thing" when it comes to knowing when you are losing traction. Knowing how your truck handles in good weather is key to knowing how to know when it does not feel right.
You are smart for asking about this, that puts you ahead of the game.
In my experience, losing traction is sort of a floating down the road feeling where it feels as though you are not steering as much as normal, and that's because the tires are losing grip.
About tires, make sure you have good tread and no flat spots that can cause tire bounce, that can cause traction loss in wet and icy conditions.
Check all the things you normally do, but especially tires, wiper fluid, good clean wiper blades and keep those lights and mirrors clean. Don't forget the Inside of your windshield, if it's dirty, obviously your visibility will be compromised and you will have more glare at night also.
I'm from Michigan, so winter skills are built in, but as you know, where there is a body of water nearby, things can be vastly different and change in a hurry.
Back in January, on a run from Tennessee into mid Michigan, I ran into rain that turned into ice. My ST was loaded with a machine that weighed about 7K pounds and as we know it's the weight that gives us traction, right? All tires were brand new at the time.
So, it's dark and rainy, then I see brake lights going off the road ahead...
I was a quarter mile behind as I tend to leave lots of room when I can, but then the truck started to slide sideways.
One thing I did Not do is brake, at all!
Countersteer, Very Slowly and Gently, no quick movements here, bring it back.
My truck is a stick, so I left in in gear and came off the throttle Very Slowly as I regained control and was able to apply gentle brake pressure. The truck has ABS, but I did not want to apply the brake pressure necessary to activate the system and if I had, it would have been way too much and made the skid worse.
It came back and I avoided the accident ahead just barely in time, but it was a close call for sure.
Next exit was taken!
Watch out for wet conditions at about 30 degrees and getting colder. When its windy, look for the movement of water on the road, and when that water stops moving, so should you.
When parked in a storm, I tend to move the truck back and forth once in a while to keep things clear and from freezing up.
I suggest carrying a heavy tow strap or chain, some cat litter if needed for traction and a tool that will chip ice.
A heavy duty set of jumper cables as well.
Someone is always willing to help if you are stuck, and don't forget to return the favor.
Good luck and safe travels.

Last edited: