Threads, nuts and nylon

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have NOT been able to find a 8X1 stainless steel nylon insert lock nut anywhere. I need at least one, two or three would be nice. I can find 8X1.25 everywhere but not 8X1. Anyone know where to get them?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are a few nuts in some of the threads here but not sure about any nylon. :D

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, they have that size, but not in stainless. Stupid question time. Can you put a zinc plate nut over a stainless part?
Yes, over time it may gaul and not be easy to remove. If you have to go that route use anti-seize on it to reduce issues down the road.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, over time it may gaul and not be easy to remove. If you have to go that route use anti-seize on it to reduce issues down the road.

That was my concern. I am going to have to see if I can have the part "retooled" to accept a different size nut so I can use stainless.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Depending on the application and exposure it could take quite a bit of time to gaul and or suffer from a dissimilar metal reaction. Likely the stainless will be fine but the new nut will rust and need replacement now and then.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Depending on the application and exposure it could take quite a bit of time to gaul and or suffer from a dissimilar metal reaction. Likely the stainless will be fine but the new nut will rust and need replacement now and then.

There will be moisture.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
There will be moisture.
If it is an 8x1 it doesnt sound like it is holding the world together. If you need whatever it is right away use the zinc plated nut until you are able to find a stainless one. One other place you may want to check with is Fastenal. fastenal.com they are all over the place.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it is an 8x1 it doesnt sound like it is holding the world together. If you need whatever it is right away use the zinc plated nut until you are able to find a stainless one. One other place you may want to check with is Fastenal. fastenal.com they are all over the place.

Fastenal does not carry it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have NOT been able to find a 8X1 stainless steel nylon insert lock nut anywhere. I need at least one, two or three would be nice. I can find 8X1.25 everywhere but not 8X1. Anyone know where to get them?

hardware stores call them "Stop Nuts". Like the others say hardware store.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
hardware stores call them "Stop Nuts". Like the others say hardware store.

I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Fastenal, Aco, Menard's and many other mom and pop's. It seems that size is no longer made. The company has dropped that size and is now using a non-metric nut.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Championparts.com p/n slm162 blister pack of 5 price stated 5 per pack at $5.50 retail hope this helps

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
You can also check with Ocean State Stainless Inc. osstainless.com there site wasnt condusive to interweb surfing for specific products (to many to list) and would require a phone call to determine if they had what you need.