thoughts on the CAT 3126 engine?

RyderInfante

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Im looking at a 2002 Peterbilt with the CAT 3126 engine. Does anyone know any positives or negatives I should look for before buying it?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I do not like these engines. They have a parent-bore block, which means they don't have removable cylinder liners, which makes them much, much more difficult to repair if something goes wrong. The later C7 engines are also ones to avoid, as they kept all of the 3126's problems and added some more.

I would be prepared for some in depth repairs past 300k.

Last edited:
Reactions: guido4475

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 3126b I bought it with 406k miles right now it's 605k, ,200k miles in 2 years no issues .. It depends on how well it was maintained it'd early years

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think there's people who just have issues with CAT for no good reason other than one or two bad experiences... but for me this 3126b has bought me 3 other trucks ...

guido4475

Not a Member
Yes, the 3126/C7 is a time bomb waiting to happen. Run like Forrest. I loved the Cummins 8.3/ISC Engine. Better mileage, performance , and cheaper to maintain/repair.

guido4475

Not a Member
I think there's people who just have issues with CAT for no good reason other than one or two bad experiences... but for me this 3126b has bought me 3 other trucks ...

I had a semi tractor cut and stetched to a 10 wheeler that had a C-15 6NZ Cat engine and loved it. Zero problems. With that being said, I'm not hating on Cat, but that particular engine.