Thinking becoming an o/o

armin88

Expert Expediter
I'm thinking about buying a van and lease it on with a company.More likely i'm going to have someone else drive it since I can't be approve to drive for any company.I'm not going into details why I can't drive but I have spoken to few large companies and I can be approved as a o/o as long someone else drives.So my main questions are

1)How much can I expect to earn as an o/o with a cargo van?
2) How much does it cost to run a cargo van per year?I.E tolls fuel etc.

3)So I offer a 60/40 split and pay all fuel and tolls or 40/60 spilt and have th driver pay all tolls and fuel?

Any input would be great,I don't want to jump into something without doing little homework first.I know as a van owner I'm not going make as much as if I has a straight truck or semi but I don't have that kind of money right now to buy a larger truck.I'm hoping in later time I can so I'm going start with a van.

Thanks

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
this question has been answered many times. use the search.
quick and dirty? 40% of say 70cpm x 80k miles. arbitrary numbers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not to bash anyone but I talked to someone today who wanted to 'cash in' on the fleet ownership thing using vans.

He went through the discovery process, got a great business plan together, had advice from an actual company CEO of a large carrier, had SCORE members advice and had everything in line and was about to sign on the line for those vans ...

... but than took the money he had, wrote a new business plan and then went to the bank to finance his venture ...

He owns a Subway franchise and making more money than he would if he had four vans. He's home every night, travels when he wants to and takes weekends off.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Splitting a van is similar to splitting a newspaper route. There can be enough when it all goes to one but there's not enough when it's divided.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Well I know there goods and bad in every business,I own a business already I was only looking to expand more income.I have no idea what its like so I thought this was best place to ask.I thank you all for your input so far I may reconsider and look into something else.I still like to know whats the income as an owner of a van?I was plaining to have a driver to drive it not me.I own a local small business and can't be on the road.Right now my business is slow so I was looking to see what else is out there.I'm still going to look into it but I not sure which road ill take.More input would be grat.Thanks

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
im not sure what your earning potential could be with owning some vans but pay as much down on the vans as you can. Start with cheaper units under $15,000. Check with Ryder used trucks they got some nice cheap vans and sprinters. Im not really sure in the long run how much my fleet owner has made off me I know he has made a good bit but he has also spent alot in repairs lately. I would say over $2500 including tires sense I been driving for him in the year and half.

But I would imagine with the right company and some luck and a couple vans you could make some money out here as long as the repairs dont kill you. If you could find a couple good teams willing to do a 60/40 split you would have a better time making some extra money.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think it would be better to think like this -

unless you have been in the business for the learner's permit time (4 to 5 years), you will not be prepared for what could happen.

Just dealing with putting drivers in the van may be an costly issue because it is not simple like "your hired, here are the keys". The same goes for what company you are dealing with and how they screen drivers. Let's not forget the midnight "how do I do this" call.

A few fleet owners may provide real world examples but a lot of fleet owners won't bother with vans because the investment of time verses the return on that investment is a lot less than say dealing with straight trucks.

If you are serious about expanding into another business, start with being in the business or pick something that will have help along the way.