Thinking about husband/wife team straight truck

blajay3

Rookie Expediter
Hello all. My wife and I are thinking about going otr. We don't know a lot about the industry but have a friend that's done it for years in a straight truck and says he loves it. I currently hold a class B with hazmat and tanker. I have been driving straight trucks locally for about 16 years now. My wife is studying for her class B so that we can do team. I drive a tandem fuel truck now with a reputable construction business. The down side to that is the drop in hours in the winter. We have a son that will be leaving for Air Force basic training in August 2014. Other then that we have basically no tie downs. I am 37 years old and my wife 33. We are not looking to get rich but are more looking forward to the adventure of seeing new things. We are just really looking for any advice from seasoned drivers as to where to start and what to expect. Been going blind reading other forums and not finding answers to our particular situation. We would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Hello all. My wife and I are thinking about going otr. We don't know a lot about the industry but have a friend that's done it for years in a straight truck and says he loves it. ... Been going blind reading other forums and not finding answers to our particular situation. We would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks

You say you are seeking answers by reading forums but not finding them. What questions do you have exactly?

You may also find this piece helpful: Introduction to Expediting

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What are you specific questions? Your situation reminds me of most people who have entered trucking after their kids have left home.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not unlike what you said about construction expedite tends to slow in the winter like January and February. Difference is you don't wait for work at home you set in some truck stop.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

blajay3

Rookie Expediter
My main question is about money but that information is like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I know it varies depending on loads and how much a driver is willing to stay out so I guess I would just like to know if a driver is dedicated, is the money good. Also is it better to sign on with an owner or try and get my own truck. Starting to get the feeling that hauling for an owner would be best. Thanks

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Almost always best to do some time with an owner. You never know if the lifestyle is one you'll like. Find out before investing.

As far as your question is the pay good, what does good mean to you. For one person it might be a few hundred a week for the next person it might be two grand a week.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That would be your best bet as far as starting out. I wouldn't recommend starting in your own truck unless you really know what you are doing. Learning on your own dime can be rather expensive.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My main question is about money but that information is like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I know it varies depending on loads and how much a driver is willing to stay out so I guess I would just like to know if a driver is dedicated, is the money good. Also is it better to sign on with an owner or try and get my own truck. Starting to get the feeling that hauling for an owner would be best. Thanks

The income side is tough because it is how one decides to run their business, carrier, equipment, fuel, etc that determines how much you make. Some go broke, some make a really great living, some do OK, and some do decent but the individual choices a driver makes will decide that. It is a business, even if you are driving another person's truck you are still running a business and you are no longer an employee. You can be the most dedicated driver out on the road and lose everything because of different issues including not getting paid through no fault of your own.

It is typically best to start out working for a fleet owner so you can see if you will fit in and enjoy it. You should look into the fleet owner for one of the reasons listed above, they may decide to just keep your money. The company the truck is leased on with won't help you get your money and you will have to write it off or sue. This problem isn't a huge problem but it still happens to enough people that you should be concerned. If you do a decent job as a husband/wife team then you can bring home what I would define as good money but someone that makes $150k a year in their current job would be disappointed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app