Thinking about Expedited - got Questions!

termite289

Expert Expediter
id probably sell you my truck if you asked real nice, or not niclely at all.
been thinking about finding someone i hate, and just giving it to them

chassie

Seasoned Expediter
do alot of research look at frieght moving call brokers see what frieght is out there expediters are a different breed, they don,t like people coming in to the bussiness,its a cut throat industrie.so you will see alot of discouraging threads here. in my opinion a driver is the last person to ask if you should get in.there attitude is the less drivers the more freight for them,you will sit alot and you have to take the good with bad ,and willing to stay out,3 ot 4 weeks good luck

Thank you for your honesty. That is very good adivce, I will take it. Hope to meet you on the road one day.

Bless you,
Chassie

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I want to get back to driving semi so I can get home more than once a month. With 20 years experience driving truck, I would like to get back to driving a company truck where I have insurance and a retirment account.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
1. You said you did well your first 3 years.
2. Gas is cheap now.

Two positives.

That was Doug, not Greg.
The human mind is a funny thing.

It gets what it thinks to be a terrific idea.

Then it searches for data to back it up as being terrific.

If it gets negative feedback, it makes excuses for why it's negative, even to the point of paranoia, and thinking the feedback-givers are only being negative for their own ulterior motives, and not to help or be honest.

It picks out the sugar-coating only, on a whole paragraph of feedback.

It wants to see what it wants to see, and it doesn't want any perceived roadblocks in the way.

You should've gone elsewhere for the kind of backing you're looking for, like maybe some success stories from a few years ago. Who cares if it's dated, as long as it supports your theory.

Looks like you've already decided, so, the most we can do for you is wish you the best for a successful career. Best wishes!

chassie

Seasoned Expediter
That was Doug, not Greg.
The human mind is a funny thing.

It gets what it thinks to be a terrific idea.

Then it searches for data to back it up as being terrific.

If it gets negative feedback, it makes excuses for why it's negative, even to the point of paranoia, and thinking the feedback-givers are only being negative for their own ulterior motives, and not to help or be honest.

It picks out the sugar-coating only, on a whole paragraph of feedback.

It wants to see what it wants to see, and it doesn't want any perceived roadblocks in the way.

You should've gone elsewhere for the kind of backing you're looking for, like maybe some success stories from a few years ago. Who cares if it's dated, as long as it supports your theory.

Looks like you've already decided, so, the most we can do for you is wish you the best for a successful career. Best wishes!

PJ,

Were you a psychiatrist or psychologist before you became a trucker? Maybe that could be your next career should you leave trucking. You've got the human mind all figured out. I applaud you. Thanks so much.
Chassie - Keep in touch please.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
PJ,

Were you a psychiatrist or psychologist before you became a trucker? Maybe that could be your next career should you leave trucking. You've got the human mind all figured out. I applaud you. Thanks so much.
Chassie - Keep in touch please.

Sarcasm always makes a great impression from a newcomer seeking feedback who doesn't get what was wanted to be heard. Reminds me of a teen who doesn't get her/his way.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
expediters are a different breed, they don,t like people coming in to the bussiness,its a cut throat industrie.so you will see alot of discouraging threads here.

The discouraging threads you see here lately are due to the economy. While there are expediters that discourage people in general, that isn't what you see here. In good times, newbies are welcomed into the business. Of course, most of us will give them a complete picture of the biz that includes the pitfalls. To describe the membership here, in general, as being people that are stupid enough to think that a new driver means less loads for "me" borders on insulting.

Very, ummm, interesting punctuation in your post.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
The discouraging threads you see here lately are due to the economy. While there are expediters that discourage people in general, that isn't what you see here. In good times, newbies are welcomed into the business. Of course, most of us will give them a complete picture of the biz that includes the pitfalls. To describe the membership here, in general, as being people that are stupid enough to think that a new driver means less loads for "me" borders on insulting.

Yea highway i been thinking about that post myself,this one and the half a dozen other posts spread through out the forums, that are similar,Low post count trys to sound like they been in the business for years.What I'm wondering is how many are people who are not unlike the guys who give you the wrong directions over the CB,people who think it's funny when other people get lost ,lose their house, or get a ticket for being on the wrong road. etc etc etc.

Really i think it's a bit wrong to paint this picture with copious amounts of sucrose hoping somebody will buy into it thinking all is well.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Things are very slow right now in the industry. We have only been getting 2 to 3 loads a week. This last week we got less than 1,000 miles and we are a team in a straight truck. That is fact, not pretend 'doom and gloom' meant to discourage new drivers.

Living in a sleeper of a truck for weeks on end is hard even for those who have been in the business for years. Learning to sleep in a moving truck on a bumpy interstate is even harder. While the object is to keep the loads and truck moving, it is nice when you get the chance to spend the night parked somewhere and sleep on a bed that isn't moving. Don't get too comfortable though, there are those loads that come in a 2am, like one of ours did last week, and then you are on your way again.

You also have to learn to live without taking a shower for days at a time. Sure, it's easier to get a shower regularly when you aren't running as much, but when you are under load you don't have time to stop and shower. Truck stop showers also take some getting used to, and you have to learn to look past the fact that thousands of other truckers have used that same shower that you are about to step into naked. Just how well does that truck stop clean and sanitize their showers after each use?

You have to drive in all kinds of weather. Rain, fog, snow, sleet, ice, wind, hail, thunderstorms. The freight still has to be delivered. While you may be completely confident in your ability to control your truck in any weather, the real threat is the other drivers on the road who may not be as able to control their vehicle, and that applies to roads that are clear and dry as well. You have to learn to "drive" for everyone else on the road and anticipate what they will do next. You are the professional and you are the one that everyone will blame if something goes wrong.

It's a business, and you have to treat it as such. Keep up with paperwork, record keeping, receipts etc. Maintaining a professional appearance and attitude is also very important, even when the workers at the shipper or consignee are rude and give you attitude. Sometimes you just have to learn to bite your tongue. You are the professional.

I'm part of a team with my husband. We had to learn how to live together in a box, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 4 to 5 weeks (or more) at a time. You really learn a lot about yourself and the other person when you spend that much time in such close quarters. Sure, there's arguments, but you get over it and continue on. If you aren't sure that you can spend that much time with someone in such a small area with not much chance of time apart from one another, then either staying home or driving solo would be your best choice.

All of the above applies whether you are an owner/operator or you drive for a fleet owner. It's not an easy life out on the road. It's a lifestyle that you have to be willing to adapt to or you aren't going to be successful. Anyone thinking about getting into this business needs to consider all the different aspects of it very carefully before jumping in. While the "money" is a big part of it, there is a LOT more to it.

chassie

Seasoned Expediter

Hi,
Thanks for your input. I already knew this was a cut-throat business just from hearing stories from 30 year truckers and women new to the trucking industry. There is still a small thread of comrodary among fellow truckers. We all must stand strong whatever business you are in, and we will get through it. The survivors from the 20's and 30's depression did, and we can too.

I really don't think things are as bad as the media publisizes it is, not like the 20's and 30's anyway. I choose to be an optomist. If others consider that sugar coating things, then so be it. It is easier to find a positive in a negative situation. It keeps me going.

Take care, bye.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder how many survivors of the Great Depression survived by getting into a business where people with many years of experience were struggling? My guess would be very few. You really do seem to have your mind made up. Good luck.