Thinking about Cargo Van.. Q's

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone, new to the forum here. I'm considering driving a cargo van solo as a subcontractor for one of the expediting companies. So far I've contacted Panther. I reviewed the newbie FAQ's and some questions on the forum but I do have to ask:

• What other companies can I contact that hire subcontractors? so I can drive for a fleet owner?
  • Where do you sleep inside the van? I mean, if cargo is in the back and there's no sleeping quarters, what do you do?

I got my Class A CDL last year and have my hazmat. I drove T/T for a few months. Just moved to Indianapolis and looking for another job, but seem unfulfilled working at an office job 9-5. I really want to work for myself someday with my own business, but I don't mind working for someone else OTR while I figure out what I want to do. There's just something about traveling that I can't get out of my blood.

Advice appreciated!

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
I just didn't like driving TT. I'd rather drive something smaller with less headache. The ease of mobility with a cargo van is priceless to me. lol

Why give up on TT?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I just didn't like driving TT. I'd rather drive something smaller with less headache. The ease of mobility with a cargo van is priceless to me. lol

You better believe it is going to have a price. What TT company were you with?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
  • What other companies can I contact that hire subcontractors? so I can drive for a fleet owner?
  • Where do you sleep inside the van? I mean, if cargo is in the back and there's no sleeping quarters, what do you do?

I get the idea of being addicted to driving for a living and made the mistake of working in a cubicle thinking it would be so great sleeping in my own bed.

Any of the larger carriers will typically have fleet owners looking for drivers but they may not always be hiring, especially if it is slow. Have you checked with Tri-State? There are also ads in the classifieds section here or fill out the multi-application form and send it out to several companies. If you are loaded to the back of the seats you will have to sleep in the seat or hopefully it delivers straight through and sleep won't be an issue. A lot of van freight is 1 or 2 pallets so it still gives you some room on the floor.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Good choice, but I would buy my own van. You will end up living miserably trying to split money with a c/v owner.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I'd suggest getting your own van and leasing on with your company of choice, too, not driving a van for someone else. Lots of companies out there; the trick is to find a good fit for the way you like to work and deal with people. Read past posts here, talk to drivers, see who they drive for, how they like it, visit any busy truck stop along major interstates and look for CV expediters. Most are more than willing to talk.

Depending on who you lease to, you may have to get your own liability and cargo insurance. Be ready for a hefty premium of $300 or more/month, depending on your driving record.

The bigger and longer the van, the more options you have for bunk arrangements. American extended body cargo vans allow room enough for a bed even with two skids on board, sideways behind the seats. Sprinters, of course, allow more room. There are a lot of past posts here that show different van set-ups. Look for ebsprintin's collection of cargo van threads in the Truck Talk forum for a wealth of info.

A lot of van drivers make a permanent bed across the van behind the seats and have dims of 100" (or more) x 50" (between wheel wells) x 48" high. I have 109x51x48 available space in mine.

I use a folding bedboard, supported on each end by my side storage cabinets and a same height storage crate under the middle. This allows me to put the bed sideways anywhere along the length of the van when empty; all the way back when empty if I want, halfway towards the front when carrying smaller loads, or directly behind my seat when larger loads. Also allows me to put the bed along either wall when empty. No need to sleep on the floor, or always in the seat. That's a quick way to become fully discouraged. You can be plenty comfortable and still carry cargo.

Good luck, let us know how it's going.

Last edited:

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the info everyone! Hmm I never considered buying my own van- I guess I figured it was out of my league. I want to go back out on the road but in a lot more simpler type of vehicle, hence the cargo van option! What kind of capital do you need to purchase a cargo van? Do you think it would be a bad idea to start out driving for someone else, just to see how it all works, and then get my own van?

Also, pardon my newbiness, but do the cargo vans come equipped with APU's or have the option of getting one installed? Now that I see that sleeping arrangements aren't out of the question, I would hope that I could stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter... nothing more miserable than waking up to a freezing truck lol.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My take would be drive for someone else first, you'll have all questions answered in 30 days. This would be the cheapest way to experiment with expediting. Good luck.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info everyone! Hmm I never considered buying my own van- I guess I figured it was out of my league. I want to go back out on the road but in a lot more simpler type of vehicle, hence the cargo van option! What kind of capital do you need to purchase a cargo van? Do you think it would be a bad idea to start out driving for someone else, just to see how it all works, and then get my own van?

Also, pardon my newbiness, but do the cargo vans come equipped with APU's or have the option of getting one installed? Now that I see that sleeping arrangements aren't out of the question, I would hope that I could stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter... nothing more miserable than waking up to a freezing truck lol.

They usually use a portable generator instead of an APU.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Now that I see that sleeping arrangements aren't out of the question, I would hope that I could stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter... nothing more miserable than waking up to a freezing truck lol.
More miserable, for me at least, would be to be so hot, you can't sleep. Once the sun comes up and starts beating down on the van, it becomes an oven. 80 outside becomes 140 inside quicker than you imagine, and it doesn't cool down for quite some time after the sun goes down.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
More miserable, for me at least, would be to be so hot, you can't sleep. Once the sun comes up and starts beating down on the van, it becomes an oven. 80 outside becomes 140 inside quicker than you imagine, and it doesn't cool down for quite some time after the sun goes down.

Depending on where I am overnight, running without a/c overnight, my CV usually ends up coated on the inside with a lot of condensation. I keep thinking its gonna rust from the inside out more from this!!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Depending on where I am overnight, running without a/c overnight, my CV usually ends up coated on the inside with a lot of condensation. I keep thinking its gonna rust from the inside out more from this!!
New Orleans in the summer will certainly do it, if you have the AC on. I don't know how people live there, or Fort Myers, or Houston. I'd sooner live in Minnesota or North Dakota.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My take would be drive for someone else first, you'll have all questions answered in 30 days. This would be the cheapest way to experiment with expediting. Good luck.
I agree. This would also allow you to see other vans and how the owners set them up.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If your so full there is no room you can have a sheet of plywood cut to width & length, put a 5 gallon bucket between the seats.Foam mattress from the dollar store & you have a bed.