Things we use to help with mpg?

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Just curious what products we all use to get just little more mpg...besides driving slower...lol... we keep our truck 63-65mph..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nitrogen in the tires, which keeps them properly inflated for longer.
Air Tabs, which dramatically reduces drag.
Power Service Gray or a cetane booster to 50 cetane, or 50 cetane fuel like at most TAs.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
if i could drive 63-65 my truck would up and down shift constantly but i would also like to hear
some sug. any feed back on air tabs and such tryed to coast everywhere doesnt work well up hill lol

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
1 oz of 2 cycle motor oil per gallon of diesel in 07 and older trucks. brings the lubricity back to what it was before the changing to ULSD. $12.00 a gallon at WalMart. I use it in my 04 F-250 diesel pick up and my 07 freightliner with C-15 CAT

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Costco has nitrogen at most locations, I think. There is a dealer locator at the Get Nitrogen Institute that can be helpful. It doesn't list every place that has it, only those who are members of the Get Nitrogen Institute. St. Lucie Tire and Battery in Ft. Pierce has it, I know that because I had my tires rotated and filled there once.

Mainly, just ask a local tire place if they have it, and if they don't they will usually know who does. Those who don't have it tend to say it's a load of crap and doesn't work. Don't listen to them. It probably won't make much of a difference to someone who lives and drives locally, not putting a lot of miles on their car annually, but for someone who puts a lot of miles on theirs like we do, it's money in the bank.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Low rolling resistance tires, nitrogen, tire pressure, free flow exhaust system consisting of a Pittsburgh power muffler and piping with as few bends as possible. Removed all short radius 90* elbows for long radius and 45* bends for everything else and shortened as much as possible. This got us 4/10 tires front and rear 3/10. Also had the updates the dealers like to do all removed and back to running late 04 settings. Good for 2/10. Haven't done airtabs yet but plan to. Would like to have a free flow air filter but they don't make one as of yet. Also intend to have the charge air cooler tested and the turbo acctuator either replaced or adjusted. I would imagine both will be candidates for replacement since they are original.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'd start with slowing down. We do between 59-60. Proper tire inflation is huge, and we've gotten a decent bump from changing over to the wide singles.

Are you accurately tracking your fuel economy? If so, where is it now?

TNT- I think you can go to K&N for that filter you're looking for.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Our truck shifts from 5 th to 6 th after 63 mph...riding on 5 th gear is higher rpms..

denny2010

Expert Expediter
For the two cycle motor ..helps that much? And pour it into fuel tanks...hmm. i have thought of air tabs also..thanks for your guys in put..

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Our truck shifts from 5 th to 6 th after 63 mph...riding on 5 th gear is higher rpms..

Higher RPM's doesn't necessarily mean more fuel use. I think you'd be surprised at what fuel economy you'd get by driving at 57 in 5th.

Dynamite posted some excellent info a few months back about our Allison 6-speed autos (if that's what yours is). Specifically, about the fact that the transmission is a 'learning' transmission, and that it will custom-tailor shift points to your driving habits. Depending on wind conditions, ours will usually shift into 6th at 58 mph. A lot of that is because we drive like there's a raw egg under our fuel foot. Fuel use is crucial to us. I'm assuming it's starting to be for you, as well.

One thing I neglected to mention previously is alignment.....it can have a major impact on economy.

I'll ask again......what are you getting now, and how well are you tracking it?

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Allison 6 spd, cat motor...we were getting 8's mpg now 10.5..changed air filters, aliment front and back..new steer tires. TA fuel..been watching it for few months...seems very consistent.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
A learning transmission? ?? Have to see about that...we had this truck since february. And it never learned anything..lol...

dogsbed

Seasoned Expediter
If you don't have one, install a vacuum boost gauge and use it when driving. Keep your boost as low as possible when accelerating and climbing hills. It will correct a lot of bad driving habits and you will see a definite boost in your mpg. Also, if you have a boost gauge and a pyrometer you can use the two together as an onboard dyno to stay on top of maintenance problems before they become severe. Pittsburgh Power put out an article several years ago on how to these two gauges together.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I owned a 1992 International 9700 COE (flat top with a set back steer axle) and the aerodynamics of a refrigerator. I started adding MotorKote every 4th oil change and got 1/2 mpg better fuel milage. Had 1,267,000 miles on a Cummins N-14 when I sold it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
These are additional ideas that we use:

Michelin wide based singles XDA Energy and Michelin XZA Steers
Synthetic oil
Start and stop like you have an egg between your foot and the throttle
Watch where we stop pick truck stops and rest areas at the top of the hill not the bottom
Look at your truck Do you have a bug shield? Do you have sun visor that blocks air?
Is there anything that can be removed from your truck that blocks air?
We trimmed our mud flaps down to the size of our wide based singles
Buy the flow through mud flaps
move the license plate if hanging down in the wind
Dont idle
Get pre pass and ez pass
use LDWS as an aid to keep the truck driving straight and not wobbling in a lane

denny2010

Expert Expediter
How many airtabs are needed? Seen of website 80 airtabs..is that enough to do sides and top?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not sure if they do big trucks but for vans this will be of some help.

Nitrogen Tire Inflation Systems by NitroFill

For big trucks remove the visor above the windshield. That's good for around 1/4mpg minimum to maybe 1/3 if your drags a lot. Get the mud flaps that are slotted. You see them at all the truck shows. Another .1-.2mpg. Don't wear steel toes while driving. You don't need anything extra pressing on the pedal. Unless everyone passes you as you build up to speed you are pressing too hard on the throttle. That could potentially be worth more mpg than all the rest combined.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
The allison learns shift patterns but it won't change the shift point of 5th to 6th. You are actually changing at 61 but all speedometers are off. Get it in the high gear and back it down gently and set the cruise. It should stay there. If it down shifts going up a hill then give it a little throttle with the cruise engaged and when it get back in the high gear ease off. One thing you could also do is have whatever updates the dealership has downloaded into the ecm removed. Most are for emissions and they hurt nog. Take it to a cat place and tell them what you are trying to do.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
How many airtabs are needed? Seen of website 80 airtabs..is that enough to do sides and top?

Different tabs for sides and roof. Call them and give your box dimensions, and they'll ship you the proper amount. Better yet, stop at GATS this week, and they're having a show special.....they'll actually have the tabs there.

I wouldn't expect to see a big bump from the tabs in your economy, but they help tremendously with sway when you're getting passed.

Couple other questions: what kind of tires, and how much air pressure?