Things that make ya go: hmmmmm....

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
So often the dispatch system doesn't make sense to me. I'm sitting (at home) in Florida a little west of Tallahassee, and just got a run from Baton Rouge, LA. Even given that it is a liftgate, pallet jack, and inside pu/del, I can't believe that I'm the closest and best qualified truck sitting 371 miles away. I suppose it could be dwell time, since I've been on the board since Sunday afternoon waiting (turned down 3 that didn't make economic sense before taking this one that is marginal). But even so, wouldn't Houston be closer? Surely there are trucks there that are qualified.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. After waiting almost 4 days for an acceptable run offer, I'm glad for the work and I did accept the "opportunity." But it sure seems strange; I was truly surprised when the system called back to say that I had been dispatched on the run.

Doug Simmons

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
from experience,your dwell time didit for you.im told if everyone can make pick up on time,it goes to the one with the most points

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Whoa! Last month we were home (near Chicago) and not even on the board. We were sitting comfortably watching TV when we got a call asking us to DH to Spokane! Load was Spokane > PA and paid good until you calculated in the DH. My hubby :confused: "What, you don't have another truck between Chicago and Washington?" Dispatcher said "Nope!"

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We once took a load offer that had us dead head from Phoenix to San Fransico. We got there and our truck was not able to get into the pickup, too tall and too heavy. That hurt. Layoutshooter

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
The way the DVA works is that every legal and available unit is
looked at by the system for every load. It allocates units for
the load opportunity based on points and that is able to make the pu on time. It never calculates if it makes economic sense
for a truck. Based this criteria, your sure to get ridiculous offers, and that's why the ridiculous offers never get counted as refusals. I've refused many long dh loads, checked my numbers and those never showed up "refused" by me.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i once did a dead head from portland maine to san clemente ca. It was a flatbed radio active pick up going to zion il,total miles were about 6000,dh was 3100,load paid 14000 bucks.days of old

aileron

Expert Expediter
i once did a dead head from portland maine to san clemente ca. It was a flatbed radio active pick up going to zion il,total miles were about 6000,dh was 3100,load paid 14000 bucks.days of old

Interesting how they weren't able to find another qualified truck/drivers closer than 3100 miles. Hmmm...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Flatbed is the key word in the post. Steve has some awesome qualifications in the fact he is flatbed qualified and also has his clearances.