They won't hire my co-driver because of tickets, help.

Alec McDaniel

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Hey all, I recently started expediting for a (insert company name here) and I have been doing really well and enjoying the scenery. My roommate has wanted to join me for a few weeks now and this was our initial plan for months, but I was able to start before him due to availability. He submitted an application and was told that he was denied because he has a few speeding tickets. I know this person very well and they have good driving skills but just got unlucky and got clocked speeding to work for a new job about 2 years ago. They said that they cannot hire him because of these tickets, he only has 2 tickets on record for the last 3 years, and 2 tickets total on his driving record. These two tickets are however for 15 over the limit. I really wanted to be able to team with him but now I am kinda stuck and he isn't sure on what to do. I was just wondering if there was any way to go around these or talk to (insert company name here) and see what our options are, but I assume there aren't any. For the state we live in, tickets stay on your license for two years, he did confirm that in November, the oldest ticket would expire from his license, as far as points go, but I am pretty sure (insert company name here) does a 3 year DMV report, so it wouldn't matter would it? Other than the tickets, he has no criminal history or accidents, and has a sold background in driving the type of vehicle (sprinter) that we will be driving. The fleet owner doesn't care about the tickets but he said it is up to the company. Any ideas or suggestions? I am totally fine with just being told "Nope, you are screwed until his 3 year DMV report comes back clean." and I figure that is what I will be told unless there is some secret.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Nope, you are screwed until his 3 year DMV report comes back clean."

Points matter to law enforcement. Events matter to insurance companies.
Transportation companies are ruled by insurance rates and risk tables. Two accidents or incidents (like a ticket) would score as high risk on the risk tables. In three years from the last ticket, the risk goes down to low levels. Until then, few carriers will touch him.

Reactions: Moot and Grizzly

Alec McDaniel

Rookie Expediter
Driver

Transportation companies are ruled by insurance rates and risk tables. Two accidents or incidents (like a ticket) would score as high risk on the risk tables. In three years from the last ticket, the risk goes down to low levels. Until then, few carriers will touch him.

That is what I figured, it just seems funny to me that someone in my orientation had been convicted of a felony and had been to prison but had a clean DMV, hired on the spot. 22 year old with good driving experience with two tickets, denied. I perfectly understand why though, it just seems a bit twisted.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That is what I figured, it just seems funny to me that someone in my orientation had been convicted of a felony and had been to prison but had a clean DMV, hired on the spot. 22 year old with good driving experience with two tickets, denied. I perfectly understand why though, it just seems a bit twisted.
Also considered is the total pts involved with CSA. Most companies will hire a new applicant with 1 15+/over but that depends too how much over that 15 that personhas gone. 20 over and definately a no until it falls off. As was said earlier the company ins usually makes rhat determination.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

What's relevant to the job? It's a driving job and your friend got popped .. twice. Plus he's under 25, he can't even rent a car. Why? Same reason he's not getting the job ... he's young and stupid. I'm not passing judgement just stating a fact, we've all been there.

As for the gentleman that's done his time, he doesn't deserve for that to be held against him.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Something to keep in mind ...

Same guidelines apply to you. There are many of us that have several hundred thousand ... million + miles without a single accident or infraction.

For some Godly reason you've decided you want to take a crack at this. It appears to be a decent start. Don't screw it up. Get hyper tuned to speed limits and develope careful driving habits.

We all understand "stuff happens" .. just don't let it happen to you!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been around the block a few times and have two moving violations. One for speeding and one for running a stop sign. Both while I was in my early 20's and both in my personal vehicles. I probably should have had at least two more dealing with not wearing a helmet while driving a motorcycle. Hey, I was young and stupid. That's probably the reason why many carriers and insurance companies set a minimum age of 23. I'm still stupid but tend to drive intelligently and legally.

Reactions: RoadTime